Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Lets ALL go with the liberals mindset. Lets ALL live off the government.
I think you are absolutely right, in a way. I believe every single American citizen should be allotted a certain amount of money for food, shelter and electricity, in other words, the very very basic necessities for life. Then anyone who wants more can work. How to pay for this, you might ask? Why, an extra sales tax, of course. We love to buy buy buy in this country, so we shouldn't mind a few more bucks on each purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
umm what part don't you understand. This is what Obama wants so look at the good side. I will change my mind to vote for Obama's free stuff.
So you work, but you won't if Obama wins the election? I am trying to understand your situation with Obama, and this whole "free stuff" thing.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Just look how well it works in North Korea!!!!

And America

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you work, but you won't if Obama wins the election? I am trying to understand your situation with Obama, and this whole "free stuff" thing.
Am I talking to who has the comprehension level of a 2 year old. Go back and read.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,024 times
If I could get back all of the taxes I paid over the decades, I'd be content to live off of myself and maybe I could finally retire. I am sick and tired of supporting the population of able bodied parasites in this country that have never worked and think that procreation is a job that qualifies them to receive a check, section 8 and foodstamps for an entire lifetime and get a raise for every child they churn out.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Quote:
I don't know, why do you keep working?

I gave that up years ago

Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Quote:
So you don't work because of Obama?
Exactly

Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Lets ALL go with the liberals mindset. Lets ALL live off the government.
Glad to know you are jesting!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I was on unemployment for a while. My first child was born on state insurance. We were on food stamps while I was working a job as a limo driver and going to school full time so I could get my engineering degree and better myself.

Now I make more money then I ever thought I would in my life, have a nice cush desk job that I'm damn good at, and have more then paid back the money the government gave me to help my life.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't abuse. I'm not saying that we can't reform things, we are going to have to cut some programs, maybe end them completely. But what I am saying is not every person that lives off the government for a while is a liberal, and not every liberal lives off the government.

I'm not a liberal, I'm actually a libertarian. At the heart of my thoughts on the country is that the programs I used should not necessarily been there for me. But I am also smart enough to see a middle ground, but I want to limit as much government growth as is humanly possible. I want to bring all of our troops home, from Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, wherever. I want to cut corporate taxes, but I want to have a flat tax on everyone. I believe that with less government regulation on the war on drugs, on the USDA, on various other programs, that we will employee more people and give them chances similar like the one I got, but without the "government" assistance, to be able to help themselves. I think that Government can create demand, by offering contracts to private companies who can do the tasks that government does better, with less money. The contracts should be limited, they should have to show results, no 1000 dollar toilet seats.

So no, I am not a liberal, and yeah, I lived off the government for a while.

Perhaps if people can see, and talk to someone who used government and didn't abuse that gift, then maybe the disdain won't be there so bad. We aren't saying that we don't need to cut and change things, but saying that people don't need help is wrong also.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
I love posts like the OP. Extremists from both sides are getting panicked and stretch things to absurdity.
No, there is no danger that all 300 M Americans will live off the government. No rational person from the democratic party suggest that. It is also impractical in a country like the US.
Another poster from the opposite camp, started a thread about the brilliant Krugman who things that the coming elections will be about Social Security, Medicare and more. The New Deal is the focus of 2012 elections! But no, even if Romney gets elected, he will not dissolve Social Security. Romney is a pragmatist and will probably do the best he can under current circumstances which is not very much.
Lets put an end to political hysteria and panic! Hysteria is also the reason no bi-partisan negotiations and understanding can take place and whoever gets elected, will find it impossible to do anything productive.

Last edited by oberon_1; 10-03-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies