Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times

Advertisements

Well, if you choose to believe the Bible or the Torah in any capacity.......

Jews invented a centrally controlled, universal currency...

The Shekel was the only currency "accepted by God" so they set up exchange booths inside temples which tacked on a fee to exchange gold or silver for shekels.

Makes sense to me...because money has definitely caught on. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
And yet another jewish thread, just like another racist thread, a black thread, a hispanic thread, do we really need another thread about ethnicity? Don't we have enough already. Why do people have this incessant need to rehash the old?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Jewish people are not smarter than anyone else. The Jewish people however tend to be better educated because education is stressed in the family quite often.

There are many jokes about, "My son the Doctor, My son the Lawyer", but jokes aside, there is a ring of truth, that makes the joke successful. Why? Again, the importance placed on a good education.

Personally, I didn't make it to college, though I was accepted at 2 very good colleges. I couldn't afford it. I am however well educated, well read, and working in IT, after training myself. I can read almost any text, and as long as I have a foundation on which to build on, can understand and comprehend it. I love reading, and while underway on a submarine, actually read an entire dictionary 2 times.

We appreciate an education, and again, it's normally stressed in most Jewish families.

Knowledge is power.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
^^^ That.

Most Jewish children are raised to value education, of both the formal and informal variety, and in many families (like my own) it's pretty much expected that you'll achieve a high level of education. Of course being Jewish alone doesn't guarantee success, although being raised with such values and expectations does increase your chances. Case in point, nearly 100% of my family - including extended relatives - have at LEAST a BA/BS, and most have post-graduate degrees. We have among us lawyers, doctors, professors/teachers, librarians, business executives, financial consultants, etc, and I honestly can't think of a single family member who's ever been on welfare.

While I have a Master's Degree myself, I'm not exactly financially successful... but that's only because I chose a profession which is more spiritually & intellectually fulfilling. Or at least that's what they tell us to soften the blow on payday, LOL.
I think it stems from survival when you look at Jewish history. Education and thinking were/are critical to survive and succeed. Also, from what I have seen is that Jews take care of their own where there is a strong, solid Jewish community. Even those who succeed and don't live within communities will donate to Jewish foundations/organizations.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Why are the Jews so powerful?

As the blind rabbi said when he picked up a matzo, "Who writes this nonsense?"

Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
When they first migrated to the country in droves, they took advantage of opportunities, such as educational and welfare programs. Their culture puts strong emphasis on learning.

Look at Asians today. They are the new Jews.
Well if Jews took advantage of welfare programs, clearly they used it with the intent it was meant for. Welfare was meant to be a temporary measure and a stepping stone. Today's definition of welfare is that it is a permanent lifestyle.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
It seems Jews support one another and their businesses moreso than other ethnic groups.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would say it is based on a belief that good works can make the world a better place and hard, knowledgeable work is rewarded here on earth instead of in some mythical heaven.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
This is a stereo typical myth...To say they are powerful is to insinuate that all Jews are highly intelligent...and all are rich- They are like any other group...The little power they do have is much like a mafia...no different than Italians or Anglo mafias. With Jews who are loyal to their fellow tribe members - they prosper...In law that is top heavy with Jews...they conspire- "get a good Jewish lawyer"......

All groups conspire.....During a court battle my brother had a conversation with a female Jewish lawyer....He mentioned the Jewish mafia...She said it does not exist....Of course it exists....

Oddly - one Anglo gentlemen with a lot of power. A lawyer who was an investment banker described it best..."Being Jewish IS A STATE OF MIND"...

Hard core Christians are of this state of mind....you can be an "honorary" Jew if you want..the club is not exclusive.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Its an anecdote but IMHO shows it all.

My fathers college room mate and certainly one of his best lifelong friends is Jewish in Miami Beach. He is a leader in the community.

One old community leader who did alot for the community dies and leaves behind a pretty helpless widow. 31 families host the old widow for dinner 1 night per month each. (yes I know 30 in sept and 28 in feb). Problem solved.

BTW this person is the reason I believe it ***WILL ALL COME DOWN TO OHIO***. HE is planning vote for Romney and the GOP for the first time since 1984. His local friends are of similar opinion. Im betting FL will go Romney because the normal Dem strongholds in south FL are going to be less so this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies