Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh I apologize darling, schools have absolutely no DRESS CODES now, do they?
Per the article, which I would suggest reading, she was not in violation of the schools dress code. They actually show the gal and it's a basic bland looking T-shirt that has a pretty muted message that I'd probably not even notice in casual passing.

I kinda feel bad for the teacher because they've screwed up badly and any rationale person wouldn't have acted that way. I'd bet a $100 the person is having some sort of personal problems, stress etc. and snapped.

THeir saving grace is that they are a math teacher and those are hot hot commodities, especially in any city school system like Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Read the Philly dress code.
You look pretty foolish for not having read the article.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
If it were ONLY ONE, I might see your point, but I can find quite a few similar incidents via Google that are nearly identical to this.
Clearly, there are no republican nutjobs.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I have known for years that there is much merit in the old saying, "Those who can do; those who can't teach." There is lots of pond scum masquerading as school teachers, so, in general one should be quite skeptical of the things your children are taught in school.
That's ridiculous.

In any case, she should be fired. Makes no damn sense.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is a typical liberal "solution" - ban free speech - because someone might get offended.

And the left calls conservatives intolerant?

How can a dress code that calls for no printing on t-shirts possibly be intolerant? Would you hurl that same accusation at your employer?

Why do you think you have a dress code at work? Why shouldn't the same apply at schools? It would certainly eliminate a lot of strife...particularly this situation, the subject of 16 pages of finger-pointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's ridiculous.

In any case, she should be fired. Makes no damn sense.
I agree. But if it turns out they have a good work history, good teacher and are just going through a divorce or having other problems I would hope they'd work with them and counsel them prior to going straight to dismissal. If they have a bad history then yeah, they need to go.

As you said, it makes no damn sense....which is why I suspect that the person is having *issues* and this was just an unfortunate manifestation.

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you would have the same viewpoint if it were an Obama shirt and the teacher equated that with the KKK ?
NoJiveMan..did you disappear ? Forgot to answer my question ?

Are you against "propaganda" or against Romney ?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:

I think it may be that he is more for Obama which makes him against Romney because he threatens the hero's return to office.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:

He is out wearing his Obama T-shirt

Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM

For the people here who cannot bring themselves to become informed prior to opening their pie-holes.....here ya go....with underlining and colors too!

Please note, these are the comments of the spokesman and not Fox news "opinions". Some of the comments in this thread are just painfully embarassing to read.

Quote:
Philadelphia School District spokesman Fernando Gallard confirmed to Philly.com that, “a teacher made some comments to a student wearing a Romney t-shirt in their classroom.”

“The comments were of a political nature, and also of a personal nature,” he told the newspaper. “We are looking into the comments, and the conduct of the teacher.”

Gallard said the student was well within her rights to wear the t-shirt and was not in violation of any school dress codes.

In the meantime, the teacher was switched out of the class “to allow the student to feel comfortable to come to the class.”

Gallard said the student was within her rights.

“She was expressing her freedom of speech, and was not in violation of any school or district policy,” he told the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies