Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

What is it with nude exhibitionism in predominantly gay areas?

Is it part of a healthy gay lifestyle? Something that is 100% acceptable in homosexual social circles?

I know about the clothing optional resorts in Palm Desert that cater to heterosexuals, but an entire city district?

I also understand that there is someplace in Vermont (or other state in New England) where public nudity is acceptable, but is it really that common to see your neighbor mowing the lawn in the buff? Reading a newspaper on a park bench, in the nude?

C'mon people, what's really going on here?

And kudos to the gay district supervisor Scott Wiener (yeah his name is really wiener) for taking a stand against public nudity in the Castro.

Maybe enough is enough, you can be gay and don't have to walk around advertising yourself as being that available.

Quote:
"Some people say this is not what we fought for," he said. "Being able to expose your genitals at Castro and Market is not the goal of the LGBT civil rights movement."

Last year, Wiener passed legislation known as the "skid mark law." That law, which passed the Board of Supervisors unanimously, requires nudists to place barriers between their bare bottoms and public chairs or benches, but many Castro residents complained that didn't go far enough.

"I thought it would work itself out, but unfortunately it didn't," Wiener said. "It's only gotten more extreme and over the top. A lot of people in the community have reached the end of their rope."
Legislation seeks to clothe Castro's naked guys - SF Chronicle

Quote:
In a press release announcing the new rules, Wiener's office stressed that the legislation "has no impact on nudity at beaches or on private property." Its aim is to "prohibit display of genitals and buttocks in in city plazas, parklets, sidewalks, streets, and public transit."

The ordinance must first be heard before one of the supervisor committees, likely city operations and neighborhood services, before being heard by the full board. The first hearing is expected in November.
Wiener introduces nudity ban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Many of those guys are straight, actually. They just go to the Castro because they can get away with it there. As someone who lives in the neighborhood, I support this proposed ban 100%, as do most of my neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies