Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:13 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times

Advertisements

Meh, not a fan of MMOs. If she was a huge Kojima fan, she'd have me sold.

Kojima is my bishie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I haven't gotten into an adventure game since MajorMUD. I guess I just grew up or something...

But seriously, I have nothing against games. The adventure games are very addicting, though, and require the devotion of a massive amount of time - especially to reach the higher levels like this. If I were her constituents, I'd be VERY upset that my representative had been spending so much time gaming instead of taking care of business. Most elected representatives at the lower levels (don't know if this is state .gov or fed) have other jobs, and politics is a secondary income/career. I can't believe that there's a politician out there who can be doing a good job in both vocations and leveling up to 85 in WoW.

Hopefully she's up for dismissal in November.
No they don't. The level has been capped at 85 for over a year now.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Man. . .personally, I'm about 50% more likely to vote for you if you play video games.

Though world of warcraft? eh. . .I'm more a street fighter player.

Maine Democratic candidate criticized for actions in 'World of Warcraft' | The Verge

"Colleen Lachowicz, a Democratic candidate for State Senate in Maine, has come under fire from the Maine Republican Party for spending large amounts of time playing World of Warcraft, reports the Sentinel newspaper on its website.

In an article posted on the Republican Party website Maine GOP, Lachowicz is criticized for "living a time-consuming double life" in the WoW community, where her character is a maxed-out level 85 Orc Assassin Rogue. The site says that "Lachowicz lives vicariously through" her avatar, along with listing select comments Lachowicz has made on online forums.
"
I love this concept that some people have where if you're successful in some way, that it must mean you have no time for a life outside of work.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I haven't gotten into an adventure game since MajorMUD. I guess I just grew up or something...

But seriously, I have nothing against games. The adventure games are very addicting, though, and require the devotion of a massive amount of time - especially to reach the higher levels like this. If I were her constituents, I'd be VERY upset that my representative had been spending so much time gaming instead of taking care of business. Most elected representatives at the lower levels (don't know if this is state .gov or fed) have other jobs, and politics is a secondary income/career. I can't believe that there's a politician out there who can be doing a good job in both vocations and leveling up to 85 in WoW.

Hopefully she's up for dismissal in November.

When WoW came out, the level cap was 60. I reached it in, no joke, 8 days. It got to the point that I could take a character from 1-60 in as little as 4 and a half. It took less than a week to max out after each expansion, though I stopped playing 2 expansions ago.

So I don't get the concept about "clearly this person spent too much time playing video games" when they have had, literally, YEARS to get to that level, when a dedicated player could do it over the span of a 3 week vacation.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I love this concept that some people have where if you're successful in some way, that it must mean you have no time for a life outside of work.

Don't kid yourself.

Some of actually live in the real world and have jobs, kids wives. There is no way you can play that game any meaningful amount of time(time rewards success) and not sacrifice one of those things.

Sorry, but you know deep down inside it's true.

I'm sure everyone who plays those games claims to be very successful outside the game as well.

Single college students might be able to pull it of.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Don't kid yourself.

Some of actually live in the real world and have jobs, kids wives. There is no way you can play that game any meaningful amount of time(time rewards success) and not sacrifice one of those things.

Sorry, but you know deep down inside it's true.

I'm sure everyone who plays those games claims to be very successful outside the game as well.

Single college students might be able to pull it of.
And you know that how ?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Who cares if they play a popular video game in their spare time? Video games are more popular than movies these days.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Pretty cool if you ask me. I hope she plays PVP.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No they don't. The level has been capped at 85 for over a year now.
Since September 25 the level cap has been 90. If she's still 85, then she's not currently playing at all.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
When WoW came out, the level cap was 60. I reached it in, no joke, 8 days. It got to the point that I could take a character from 1-60 in as little as 4 and a half. It took less than a week to max out after each expansion, though I stopped playing 2 expansions ago.

So I don't get the concept about "clearly this person spent too much time playing video games" when they have had, literally, YEARS to get to that level, when a dedicated player could do it over the span of a 3 week vacation.
Sounds like WoW is a remarkably poor challenge. Tried the free trial, lost interest after one evening. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Out of curiosity, how many hours would it take you to reach level 60? "8 days" is pretty meaningless - that could be 8 hours of game play or 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies