Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,902,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Let me guess ... you think people are upset just because the Somalis are Black?

No it's because they are bringing 3rd world values and beliefs along with the stuck in the Middle Ages Islamic religious beliefs.
I see.
And what, precisely, bothers you about Somali culture? As a matter of fact, why not tell us about your time in Somalia and what horrors you laid your eyes on?
This should be interesting. Completely transparent, but interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I see.
And what, precisely, bothers you about Somali culture? As a matter of fact, why not tell us about your time in Somalia and what horrors you laid your eyes on?
It must be crappy since they're all fleeing it to come here.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Why the hell should they leave their culture at the door?? Do any of the white immigrants leave their culture at the door?
All immigrants should have a desire to assimilate -- or why come here? If they want to live like they lived back home -- stay there. And what's the point in fleeing your culture only to try to reproduce it here? Obviously it's a failed culture when many thousands are running away to the glories of American life.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I see.
Wrong, all the problems that Somali's have in their homeland are quite well known, and alot of it is rooted in the way Islam has affected Somalia.

No need to go to Somalia to realize that certain aspects of their "culture" would cause problems here.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Wrong, all the problems that Somali's have in their homeland are quite well known, and alot of it is rooted in the way Islam has affected Somalia.

No need to go to Somalia to realize that certain aspects of their "culture" would cause problems here.
Islam actually works quite well with our giant welfare system --- of course one man cannot support his 30 children with 5 wives back in his own country but here with all the food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, Section 8 and lavish refugee handouts, they live like kings and Muslim harem queens.

Of course without welfare handouts like in their culture, their kids die in large numbers.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

No idea why people come here expecting to set up their own little national enclave within US borders.

Assimilate or go home.
What an ignorant statement that is. You know, in two generations these ethnic minorities are as American as apple pie. Your statement is just an expression of xenophopic American paranoia. Now in my neighbourhood a Somali Family opened a Somali resturant. It's just really great and different. I love the food and the people serving it are very gracious and beautiful. Guess what? I'm not scared of these people. They pose no threat to me or my country. If they don't speak English, well it sure is no skin off my butt now is it. I notice their kids are already pretty much Canadians after 2 years here in Canada. I'm just so happy and pleased that we don't seem to have anyone like you in my city.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

Irish had a lot of problems. They came. The Germans had a lot of problems, too. So did the Russian Jews. And the Italians...But I suppose they have what you would call "culture".

I like how you put quotation marks around culture as way to thinly veil...well, you know (and we know) what you're thinly veiling.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 PM

When is someone going to define American culture for us, so we can accurately assess just how un-American these would-be destroyers of Lewiston, Maine are?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It must be crappy since they're all fleeing it to come here.
That's some deep sociopolitical commentary there.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
I think it should be noted that Lewiston is a city that proudly celebrates it's strong Franco and Irish culture, which was definitely not "left at the door". To say that the Somalis should do exactly that is quite hypocritical, IMO.

The executive director of Lewiston's own Franco American Heritage Center had this response to the mayor's comments:

Quote:
“We recognize the need to accept the basic tenets of life in a new country and to abide by its laws,” says the Franco Center’s new Executive Director, Louis Morin, “but it’s just as important that you not forget who you are and where you came from, and it’s especially important to retain elements of one’s native culture as a means of maintaining one’s heritage.

“The irony of such remarks coming from the mayor of a city literally built by French-Canadian and Irish immigrants is not lost on us,” he added.

Morin said it’s important to respond to such comments forcefully and promptly, given that Lewiston’s French-Canadian immigrants faced similarly strong pressure to assimilate decades ago when tens of thousands of them emigrated from Canada to provide the workers in Lewiston’s mills at a time when Americans didn’t want those jobs, which paid little.

“It’s not just Lewiston. America itself was built by immigrants, and we are the stronger for it,” says Morin. “Lewiston’s Somali community has demonstrated a willingness to adapt and to open businesses on Lisbon Street and we should be encouraging them to continue doing so.

“Lewiston’s dominant architectural feature is the Basilica of St. Peter and Paul, built stone by stone and paid for by the area’s French Canadian immigrants,” says Morin, who then offered a question for Mayor Macdonald to ponder.

“Who’s to say what amazing future contributions to Lewiston our Somali neighbors might one day make?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies