Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 AM

510 posts, read 430,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Irish had a lot of problems. They came. The Germans had a lot of problems, too. So did the Russian Jews. And the Italians...But I suppose they have what you would call "culture".
Things would -definitely- have been different if all those 19th century Irish immigrants had access to cell phones, international wire transfers, section-8 housing, welfare and bilingual signage and official documentation instead of being seen as scum of the earth only good for slave labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
When is someone going to define American culture for us, so we can accurately assess just how un-American these would-be destroyers of Lewiston, Maine are?
But apparently you can define Somalian culture?

American culture is not based on Islamic polygamist principles. Somalian culture is. That is why they are fleeing their own country with it's culture of poverty and bloodshed to come live the good life provided by American culture.

If American culture were inferior, you'd see Americans escaping to Somalia.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But apparently you can define Somalian culture?

American culture is not based on Islamic polygamist principles. Somalian culture is. That is why they are fleeing their own country with it's culture of poverty and bloodshed to come live the good life provided by American culture.

If American culture were inferior, you'd see Americans escaping to Somalia.
They can't practice polygamy in the US because it's illegal. Is there something in the article about these particular Somalis practicing polygamy? I must have missed that.
Being Muslim -- I know this must annoy you -- is not illegal in the US.
Being from a poor country is not illegal, and neither is being from a war-torn country.

So just what is your beef with people wanting an opportunity at a better life?
And why do you think a mayor can dictate to them how they live their lives?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
They can't practice polygamy in the US because it's illegal. Is there something in the article about these particular Somalis practicing polygamy? I must have missed that.
Being Muslim -- I know this must annoy you -- is not illegal in the US.
Being from a poor country is not illegal, and neither is being from a war-torn country.

So just what is your beef with people wanting an opportunity at a better life?
And why do you think a mayor can dictate to them how they live their lives?
So you are admitting that American culture does provide a much better life?

Instead of fleeing their country and culture, why not work to improve their culture and country? They could instead Americanize Somalia -- which would it a better place for all -- instead a certain portion escape and get to the land of welfare handouts and live very well -- but what about all those left behind?

With over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world, I really don't think the answer is to bring them all to the USA and give them all lavish refugee handouts and encourage them to hang on to their Old World cultural ways. The better solution would be cultural changes in their lands that would let their people prosper.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
We have over 20 million ILLEGALS in this country, are you telling me that the Univision network, et. al.. will simply disappear when they all assimiliate?

If there were 20 million somalis in this country you better believe we'd have more than a few networks broadcasting news from their homeland and entertainment geared around their culture.

They don't want to assimilate. And this country makes it so easy for them to live here without requiring them to.
neither did Italians til Pizza, and spaghetti and meatballs became staples of American cuisine

Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 8,100 times
I love how people who have absolutely no idea about the situation are crying about "Oh, what did they do those poor Somalis?"

Did they happen to realize, had they done any research, that 6,000 Somalis in a small community has had a negative affect to the people that live there? Something tells me these same ignorant White liberals would be the first to flee their neighborhood if a large minority of Somalis moved in.

I'll tell you what happened: A small number fled to Maine, they immediately received a host of welfare benefits for doing nothing. They all told their friends and family about it, and the benefits, who started to come here too. And then they began to expect/demand it.

Furthermore, crime became an issue. Gangs sprang up. There was issues with women being attacked, followed, yelled at, etc. THey began to be problems at the schools as well with this 'culture shock.'

It's easy to scream 'racism' 'bigot' etc from your lilly white suburb somewhere else where you tout the benefits of diversity because you're gardener is Mexican, it's quite another to be face to face with it where it effects your schools, quality of life, safety, etc.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwilliams View Post
I love how people who have absolutely no idea about the situation are crying about "Oh, what did they do those poor Somalis?"

Did they happen to realize, had they done any research, that 6,000 Somalis in a small community has had a negative affect to the people that live there? Something tells me these same ignorant White liberals would be the first to flee their neighborhood if a large minority of Somalis moved in.

I'll tell you what happened: A small number fled to Maine, they immediately received a host of welfare benefits for doing nothing. They all told their friends and family about it, and the benefits, who started to come here too. And then they began to expect/demand it.

Furthermore, crime became an issue. Gangs sprang up. There was issues with women being attacked, followed, yelled at, etc. THey began to be problems at the schools as well with this 'culture shock.'

It's easy to scream 'racism' 'bigot' etc from your lilly white suburb somewhere else where you tout the benefits of diversity because you're gardener is Mexican, it's quite another to be face to face with it where it effects your schools, quality of life, safety, etc.
I don't see how it can be about race because I doubt many people would object to educated Christian Nigerians coming here legally and definitely don't mind a family from Barbados moving into a neighborhood.

Barbados happens to be the country in the Western hemisphere with the third highest standard of living, and they also happen to be English speakers and their culture is quite fine.

I'd be perfectly fine with a nice middle class family from Barbados moving into my neighborhood and I know the chances of them needing welfare handouts would be nil -- but I do not want a harem and their harem master and 30 kids moving in next door. Culture matters a lot.

Yes I realize these people will claim only one legal wife but that only benefits them more when it comes to applying for welfare handouts as it's always easier for "single" mothers.

I don't see the point in bringing over entire villages en masse -- that's where work sponsored immigrants are preferable.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Thank you. A dose of reality vs idealism.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:

Excellent post!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Difficult situation. I understand both sides...
I suppose to locals the time frame is one of the problems, their little white world changed so rapidly within just a decade, it's like a minority explosion they can't handle. To a certain extent I am sure mere racism is also a problem. It seems to be a very white region not used to visual minorities. I doubt African-Americans would be any more welcome in places like Montana, especially if they moved there in great numbers

It doesn't say what all those people are doing. Do they have jobs? Are they a burden? Is there crime?

I wonder why the Somalis even do that to themselves? If they are legals, why would they pick that cold place in the first place?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies