Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as this policy, they are a private organization and are entitled to have their own rules.
I agree-- and that's not the focus of the thread.

What I am saying is that because they've made the choice to have a discriminatory policy, the consequence should be that they should be barred from meeting in public facilities that are "owned" by and designed to serve all of us. They also should not receive any direct tax support (if they do).

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM

313 posts, read 329,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's all fine. They can go that route.

However, should the choose to continue to discriminate, they should not be allowed the privilege of using tax payer funded properties for their meetings...
And neither should the homosexual agenda or anyother group of people, hows that?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
As long-time supporters of Boy Scouts of America, my husband, an Eagle Scout, and I are very saddened to see a wonderful institution hoisting itself on the petard of homophobia. It's long past time for this policy to change. Boy Scouts is indeed entitled to set its own policies as a private organization, but I have to ask: to whom exactly does the organization belong? I, and many others, think BSA belongs not to a few officials in Dallas but to the whole of us who participate in the organization, either as Scouts or volunteers, and our opinions about this policy vary greatly. I know many people -- including the entire leadership team of my son's Boy Scout Troop -- who disagree vehemently with BSA's policy of exclusion. The solution for us is not to abandon BSA but to work from the inside to influence policy and to raise a generation of boys for whom the abolishment of policies that disenfranchise LGBT people is not just desirable, but a given.

BTW, our troop meets in a school. We, like every other organization, pay for the privilege with our membership fees, just like everything else we do.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
I never said anything about hate, If a librarian says don't sleep in the library then don't sleep. The librarian isn't being hateful. The librarian is enforcing rules and protecting the person. All kinds of hazards can happen if the person falls asleep. If you wanna sleep go home.

Denying homosexuals is not denying the person because the person has a chance to change or go somewhere else that accepts it.
Homosexuality is innate characteristic established in pre-natal development. Is a universal phenomenon in the entire animal kingdom. It doesn't just spontaneously change.

Quote:
The bible says it's wrong. The bible also says that it can not be up for ones own private interpretation.
Sexual orientation was not discovered until 1900 A.D. It's not mentioned in the Bible. Your'e clinging to a corrupted translation of a text 4000 years removed from culture, language, and context. Leviticus and Romans are not talking about gay people. They are talking about pagan heterosexual prostitutes.

Stop telling other people how to be a Christian when you haven't done the foggiest bit of research of what's even in the Bible.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He took an oath to maintain a morally straight lifestyle and he chose to be gay - which is immoral.

That is why.
So, to you, homosexuals are so profoundly immoral that they are not worthy of being kind and decent human beings?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What bunk. The reason that he 'didn't know that he was gay" was because he wasn't gay until he chose to be so when he was much older.

Being gay is a choice and it does not fit with the moral lifestyle that scouting fosters.
Once again, why the hell would a guy choose to have sex with a guy, rather than a beautiful woman? I have yet to get an answer on this that makes sense from anyone.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The boy scouts originated with christian values and now it's being hijacked. Homosexuality is prohibited by the bible.
So is fornication. Does the Boy Scouts throw out fornicators when they boast about their latest exploits with females? I doubt it, since being homosexual to the Boy Scouts is far worse.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
And neither should the homosexual agenda or anyother group of people, hows that?
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. First of all, the "gay agenda" is just a conservative fairy tale - and second of all, not all groups practice open discrimination. Even groups that cater to gay folks generally welcome all members, so can you give us an example of one that discriminates?

As a public librarian, I can actually tell you that even discriminatory groups are generally allowed to use our meeting spaces (we only restrict for-profit groups). There was some controversy when the KKK used library facilities for a meeting once, and they eventually banned the group for disruption to the public... due to protests when they met, it was deemed an acceptable restriction.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 PM

269 posts, read 255,956 times
The Boy Scouts are a pathetic organization that promotes policies and mentalities that diametrically opposed to what they say their commitments are and what they as an organization stand for. And anyone who was a Scout knows they aren't overly churchy. They really don't go heavy after atheists, as awful as the ban against atheists is. Just same-sex oriented individuals.

What's ironic is, they will NEVER eliminate the scouts of same-sex oriented boys. Kids at 6-12 years old usually don't fully know if at all what they are, their sexuality hasn't emerged yet. So with that being known, gay scout will always be in the organization. It is a pointless ban done SOLELY to demonize the gay community and implicitly tell kids they can't be or accept gay as if it's a disease.

What's happened to Ryan is awful. BSA have the right to discriminate and as long as they continue their hateful policy, they should be pushed to the fringes.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
To become an Eagle, you need to pass a Scout leader review, with the leader of your local troop. You also need to pass a "board of review" which basically consists of an interview in front of a panel of people (troop leaders, past Eagles in the troop, prominent local community members, plus regional council members). Obviously he did not pass.

These people do not sign off on everyone. I have heard of multiple instances where it was not granted. Its an achievement only 3% of participants in the organization achieve.

To be honest, this guy kind of sounds like an idiot. Building a "tolerance wall for bullying" as an Eagle project? Are you kidding me? 95% of Eagles do a project which actually serves a purpose and improves the lives of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies