Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times

Advertisements

Yup!

USD($) is not worth what it used to be in compared with my country's currency...

Eg. USD has decreased in value of around 25% plus... now that is scary thinking in terms of what spending power it have over the world.
(as seen in airfare, spending $, hotels etc.)

This month...
even beer has gone up. NOT to mention food & gas prices...

Good points though...
I am "prepared" (quality of life improve due to being prepared; u know like how some gain while others lose in stocks) for the worse that is to come... and it is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I learned to live within my means long, long ago, so I can't say my quality of life has worsened.

However, my retail business has suffered. People just don't have the money to spend like they did awhile back. I get the feeling without customers actually saying that even if they have a little extra money from one week or month to the next, they are cautious in their purchases because they're fearful of the future.

My business is much worse off than it was 3, 4, 5 years ago.
Stop blaming the govt. for your failure. Take some personal responsibility. Maybe you should work harder. Romney will tell you that he has been very successful, if he can do it why can't you.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I pay more for gas, food , utilities , insurance, etc and my money is no longer generating any interest to keep up with this higher inflation.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 PM

7 posts, read 14,374 times
No

Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
We are doing just as well as ever, not due to Obama as much as to staying out of debt, living beneath our means, saving as much as possible, investing wisely for retirement and not buying more house than we could afford.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No. Our business took a hit starting in 2006 with the collapse of the construction market, but we invested and retooled and went after a manufacturing base, reduced inventory

September was the best month we have seen in three years, and October looks to be holding steady. We just hired three new people in the last six weeks. I'm on course to retire sometime next year with enough money to handle it.

I will vote Obama. Romney is a loose cannon on par with W.
I hope retirement does happen for you. We know of a acquaintaince who just before retirement a couple months before, not kidding.

They fired him. Bastards, how can they do that, after the service this man gave of himself. How mean and evil can some people be. Yes this happens and is happening more and more i understand.

They hired someone much younger and inexperienced to take his place, which to me, is just plain rotten mean.

Question stupid one i know, but how can they do this and get away with it, after all the years this person worked for them.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Has your quality of life worsened since Obama got in office?
It has, but for reasons having nothing to do with President Obama, or with national politics generally.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I hope retirement does happen for you. We know of a acquaintaince who just before retirement a couple months before, not kidding.

They fired him. Bastards, how can they do that, after the service this man gave of himself. How mean and evil can some people be. Yes this happens and is happening more and more i understand.

They hired someone much younger and inexperienced to take his place, which to me, is just plain rotten mean.

Question stupid one i know, but how can they do this and get away with it, after all the years this person worked for them.
When I worked for Square D company years ago before 401Ks came alongm companies still paid pensions. Their MO was to let someone get 28 years in and dump them. A good friend got the axe and started a small bakery making wedding caked,s, and he told me that being fired was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I'm in a position that I don't have to worry about being fired, which helps. I literally created the job I do 25 years ago, and no one else knows how to do it. I started three businesses, but didn't have the urge to run them. Twenty hour days suck.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Thumbs up Has your quality of life worsened since Obama got in office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Can you name examples?

That's how I like to vote, based on my quality of life.
I know I'm an exception to the rule of how most Americans have fared since Sept 2008, but my financial condition has improved a little.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Yes and no. I lost my job a year after Obama was elected. It was rough going for a while, even with my unemployment. DH had started a "picking" business on the side (he goes to estate, yard, and barn sales and re-sells the items) and now has two flea market stands he tends on weekends. It was slow going at first, but now it is turning a nice profit. The high price of gas to run his truck on picking excursions has eaten greatly into that profit, though.

With scrimping, we were able to keep up our mortgage and car payments, and they are now completely paid off. We aretrying to make what we have last as long as possible, and not make any major new unnecessary purchases. We reduce our heating usage by cutting and burning wood (we are lucky to have wooded property).

I found a new job that is close to home. The pay is a lot less than what I had been making PO (preObama), but it evens out considering I do not have to pay the high cost of gasoline for a long commute or run my car excessively. I walk to and from work on most days when the weather is nice. DH's job is also close to home. We work separate shifts, so only have to use one car. I also grow a huge garden and freeze my produce. This eases somewhat the higher cost of food we are paying. We live comfortably, but the past few years have taught us to be very careful not to overextend ourselves. We definitely live differently - no better, but no worse, and no thanks to Obama.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-05-2012 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies