Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM

635 posts, read 539,390 times

Advertisements

Forgive me, but it sounds like your daughter is expecting to get exactly what she wants, and is not flexible.

The big 4 are all expanding, my wife was paid 30/hr when she interned there before getting hired on. I don't think Obama or gas prices are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,216 times
Yet another disingenuous thread where the OP tries to slip in not-so-subtle references to everything being "because of Obama...."blah blah blah

It's unfortunate that his daughter is unemployed but maybe she needs to think about a different career or be prepared to move to a new area as many other graduates have done.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
From our daughters college most of the students went on to move back home and are enrolled in another study like our daughter went to Grad school after graduating with a double major in Finance & Accounting, Summa *** Laude and over 90 letters sent out.

We own a real estate company and property management and hear on a daily base people losing their homes due to foreclosure, short sales and not just because of the loss in value but due to cut in working hours, lost their job.....

Tenants who move out overnight or having to be evicted is also not a strange thing anymore due losing their job....Tenant

Very strange to hear of all the new jobs.....maybe another desperate thing to help Obama.....
It seems like a lot of places are not hiring because they are looking for experience not only a degree. I think it also depends on the type of job or degree you acquired; some degrees enable you to find a job rather quickly while others do not. For example, my sister graduated back in May with a bachelor's of nursing and 2 days before her graduation ceremony she had already accepted a job offer (and getting paid $29/hour as starting salary). It was quite different with me, I had a bachelor's in psychology and could not find a job for over a year as all jobs asked for 1-3 years of experience. Fortunately, I found a part time job as a psych tech (assistant of psychiatric nurses) which sadly only pays me $13.25/hr. For this reason I decided to return to school and try a more viable career. Looking back I think I should have done more research on what I was going to study in order to know how easy or difficult it would be to get a job after graduating.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I got multiple jobs during the heat of the recession. . .with no issue.

So . . uh. . .maybe they should actually invest in a degree employers want?
You quoted 'Bentlebee and at the same time said her daughter should have picked up a degree in fields that have jobs. Do you consider Finance and Accounting nothing areas? That is what the girl's double major was in.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Must not be a very good college.
You need to change your screen name to Deflection is my Name. This one of the saddest liberal deflections I have seen today.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
But if unemployment had gone up, it would have made perfect sense?
Yes, it surely would have done that.

Have you ever taken the trouble to figure out how many new jobs we would have needed to take care of our population gain the last 3 years? Don't do it since the number is nearly as large as the huge amount of jobs Obama says that private business has created the last 3 years. It is past time for people to start to think about what this one is all about.

The One claims over 5 million jobs an it would have taken over 4 million to keep up with normal population growth so all those who lost jobs under Bush and in the first couple of years of Obama would have to really fight for a job with such low numbers.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
From our daughters college most of the students went on to move back home and are enrolled in another study like our daughter went to Grad school after graduating with a double major in Finance & Accounting, Summa *** Laude and over 90 letters sent out.

We own a real estate company and property management and hear on a daily base people losing their homes due to foreclosure, short sales and not just because of the loss in value but due to cut in working hours, lost their job.....

Tenants who move out overnight or having to be evicted is also not a strange thing anymore due losing their job....Tenant

Very strange to hear of all the new jobs.....maybe another desperate thing to help Obama.....
I start my new job next Wednesday, so I'm getting a kick....

Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not sure what to say, oh, I know, maybe he should be a little more responsible with his money. That is the "line" right?
Not sure what the problem is exactly. He is working and he is getting paid. By your account he is making more than his peers and it still isn't enough.
Is it the president's fault that he isn't paid as much as his expenses appear to dictate?
And if so, how? Are you suggesting that the president should tell companies how much they should pay their employees? Really?

Maybe he should relocate.
Seriously.

As for the OP, clearly people are getting jobs. I wish your kids much luck. They just have to stick to it - something will come along.
I think that our leader could stop the printing of paper money to keep him going. Mac said that the boy needs more value in his money. I guess you missed that part, huh? I am worrying about those of us who are on fixed retirement incomes being able to keep up once the inflation gets much worse, and it is going to if that QE 3 crap continues.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I know lots of people getting new jobs in the past few months...myself included. I got a new job with a 20% raise back in July. My company has hired 4 new people since then, which is a lot considering that it only has about 40 total employees.

In fact, I only know 1 or 2 people who are unemployed right now, everyone else I know has a job, many of them have gotten a new job in the last year or two.

And the housing market here has not been this good in 5 years. Nothing is available because anything decent has 5-6 offers on it the day it comes to the market, some of the offers are even above asking price. I know this because my GF's father (basically my father-in-law, I've dated his daughter for 7 years) is a real estate agent and has been complaining that none of his buyers can get a house because they're all being beaten to the punch.

BTW, great thread title: "do you know more anybody"? Huh?
I think San Diego would have to be expecting a lot of new residents if they hired you to get them to come on out. However, you don't mention that California taxes are silly and not going to go down unless the rest of us buy the state out of its hole.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,873 times
I recently got a really nice full-time job.
Thanks for asking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies