Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM

684 posts, read 824,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's been hilarious watching Republicans try to spin this as bad news. BTW Both July and August also got big revisions upwards, almost 80% upwards with 180,000 new jobs created in just one month. I'm positive that September will also be revised upwards. Then we go into the holiday hiring season which will also increase job growth.

Despite the most desperate wishes of Republicans the economy is picking up steam and the rate of job growth is INCREASING. Sorry, guys, but once again reality is not on your side when you claim we're going back into recession.
Err... Well... If you look at how I responded to this number previously, you'll see that I agree that without proof, we have to assume they're correct and thus it's good news.

But: You understand their wariness, right? There are 311 million, 591 thousand, 917 people in the US. For Unemployment to go down .3%, that works out to be almost a million people(Give or take: Retired and students don't count. Approximately 11-13 percent of the population is retired. Taking that off of the initial figure means we've accounted for roughly 130, 000 of the rest of the million.

Where did the rest of the drop come from? Some would have gone back to school. Some would have retired. Where did the rest of the drop come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM

465 posts, read 507,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm not a Republican and won't be voting for either major party candidate. Please see: my status. But I just find it odd that 114k jobs were added and the rate slid .3%. Does that mean we'll get to 5% range when 1 million jobs are added?
It's not the only ones that's been added over the last couple of months. I think that it'll go down at least temporarily for the holiday season. It's October a lot of people (inc. me) start shopping now. So stores are already hiring people. I hope the economy picks up any of this news is good news. And the unemployment rate is never ever ever accurate. They don't count a lot of people. I don't think it's been manipulated. I'm voting for Johnson and don't like the job Obama's done but I don't think it's in him to fudge numbers either. I like him on a personal level a lot more than Romney.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Do you ever find a conspiracy theory you don't buy into? The way unemployment is counted has remained unchanged since Bush's first term. That's just a FACT.

You think I'm going to defend either Bush... Your wrong!

Let's compare to how the Great Depression was calculated.
The reason it has been changed in the way they calculate it, is to skew the numbers so it does not cause a PANIC.

In history, Panics preceded depressions.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Factories eliminated 16,000 positions, compared with the survey forecast of no change and following a 22,000 decrease in the previous month.[LEFT]
U.S. Jobless Rate Declines to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

66% of the new jobs are part time jobs that were taken by job seekers because they could not find full time work.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
BTW 7600 people turn 65 and retire every day in America right now so most of the people dropping out of the work force are simply retiring. It's all those baby boomers we've all heard about.

OK, lets do the math...

114,000 + 7600 = 121,600 as the number of people leaving UE or not able to apply.

1,500,000 - 121,600 = 1.48 million each month, still losing their job.

In 2 years/24 months, that it 35.5 million people. You want to go 3 years?

How can I manipulate those numbers?
I'm just doing simple math, here.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is good that there are people getting jobs. Yet the number of the new unemployed is far greater.
No, most of the people leaving the work force are retiring as we have a huge number of baby boomers hitting 65. 7600 people per day in the US turn 65, that's 228,000 per month. They're retiring by choice not just dropping out of the job market. They've hit the age where they can get social security and start cashing pension checks so they're just plain retiring.

That said, despite 228,000 retiring each month the total work place participation rate actually went up 0.1% last month. That means more people net in the work force so the jobs growth is real despite the wild claims by Republicans who want the economy to fail.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM

1,196 posts, read 838,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
6 retailers announced big hiring for the holiday season..over 300K jobs. They are expecting higher than normal shopping volumes this year.

Six retailers hiring big for the holidays
Part-Timers Fuel Jobless Rate Drop; U-6 obama jobless rate Unchanged at 14.7% - Stocks To Watch Today - Barrons.com[

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM

450 posts, read 502,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is good that there are people getting jobs. Yet the number of the new unemployed is far greater.

People are also getting part time jobs instead of full time jobs.. some have 3 jobs and they are all part time. This is making it look like more people have a job and that is not so. One person=3 part time lower paying jobs.
So I guess before Obama came into office NO ONE worked in part time jobs or worked multiple jobs!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No doubt about that, but can liberals agree that 114k new jobs sliding the unemployment rate from 8.1 to 7.8% is a bit manipulative?
That my friend is what I like to call "campaign math." The closer we get to election day, the better the numbers will look. First the Dem's call Romney a lair, then they roll out these unbelievable numbers.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Something is not adding up, that's for sure.

From the character of this administrations history, you can't help but to think it is nothing but a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies