Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good one -- and what's interesting these same people who think nothing of paying $600 for a game player and $150 a month for unlimited text with their $500 iPhones and those $600 tattoos yet haven't worked a day in their lives or begun to pay off their $80,000 student loans so they could lay around in college and not have to work, want to throw all the former working people into the streets even though those working people paid into a very high tax or forced government retirement plan for many decades.
Granted, they have their priorities whacked, but Social Security is an insurance program, not a retirement plan, for people just like them who spend money on crap like iPhones.

Digitally...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
There has been way touch emphasizes on going to college.
That is a reaction to very bad government policies, like quotas and so-called "anti-discrimination" laws.

I hire someone with no college degree, but 4 years of military experience in communication electronic repair at 3rd Shop. Then along comes a "minority" who screams "racism" and sues me because I wouldn't hire them, even though they had zero experience, or I did hire them, but started them at a lower rate of pay, because they had no training and no experience.

College degrees are simply union cards that help protect employers from Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson Feminazi style discrimination law suits -- which cost a helluva lot of money to defend, even when you're innocent.

Things like that happen when the government attempts to engage in "social engineering."

Emphasizing...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Would you like to come to my residence, go over my assets with a fine-toothed comb, and point out my "wealth" to me? I've been having a real problem seeing it.
Look under the sofa cushions and behind the couch. There's probably $800,000 in change lying about.

Building wealth...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Yes, and I'm suggesting the same point in both: the government (you) has no moral right to intervene in the movement of wealth. In the earlier post, I'm challenging the forced redistribution (Social Security) from young to old. In the latter post, I'm challenging a theft of wealth from the parents that rightfully belongs to the children. What point are you making?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I have no complaints about across the board welfare elimination. But Social Security is a far more evil form of welfare than the others because it's theft from children.
Uh, the point is that you're clueless.

Social Security is not a "forced redistribution" program. It is an end-of-life insurance program designed to function as an hedge to keep from living on the streets, drinking water out of a ditch and foraging for nuts and berries to eat in your old age.

This is probably pointless, since it's beyond your understanding, but in the hopes that some might be persuaded to dump out your Kool-Aid....

42 USC § 402 - Old-age and survivors insurance benefit payments

(a) Old-age insurance benefits Every individual who—
(1) is a fully insured individual (as defined in section 414 (a) of this title),
(2) has attained age 62, and
(3) has filed application for old-age insurance benefits or was entitled to disability insurance benefits for the month preceding the month in which he attained retirement age (as defined in section 416 (l) of this title), shall be entitled to an old-age insurance benefit for each month, beginning with—

Very obviously, there's some part of "insurance" that you don't comprehend.

To continue demolishing your frivolous argument, let's look at a few facts.

First, the Silent Generation got saddled with a 520% FICA tax increase which they paid to make sure Social Security would be there for them, as well as future generations.

Second, the Baby Boomers took a 71% FICA tax increase in stride, which they gladly paid to make sure Social Security would be there for them and future generations.

Finally, the $2.6 TRILLION OASDI Trust Fund exists because the Silent Generation and Boomer Generation paid the FICA payroll taxes the got hit with.

Now what have Generation X-Box and Y-Work done to make sure Social Security will be there for them and future generations?

Absolutely nothing.

The last FICA tax increase was in 1990.

If Generation X-Box and Y-Work want Social Security to be there for them, then they'll have to suck it up and pay higher FICA payroll taxes -- just like everyone else did.

Social Security is presently recommending a 7.05% rate, which would be an increase of 0.85 and a whopping 13% FICA tax increase....

...gosh, you think Generation X-Box and Y-Work can handle that?

In reality it needs to be 9.2%, but even if it was raised to that, it would amount to a 48% FICA tax increase, which is not the 520% the Silent Generation got slammed with, and not the 71% the Boomers got hit with.

If you can point out where theft is taking place, go right ahead.

Debunking....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thank you for your service. Welcome home. (I know you didn't get that when you should have.)

I was just a little taken aback by your seeming dismissiveness of the downside. Which was considerable. I honestly don't know that I'd consider learning discipline and pride to be worth the cost of the draft. Discipline and pride are wonderful things. But there are many places those can be learned that don't include shipping 19-year old's off to a war no one was committed to winning. And I don't think those virtues override the 58,272 names on the Wall. But I do understand what you are saying.

And I'm glad you made it home. I pray you never, ever, suffer the horrendous effects of Agent Orange.

(Forty years later and we're still fighting the war. *Insert wry laugh here.* I guess that will end when all us Boomers are gone.)
Thank you very much.... No, I wasn't at all dismissing the downside. It was a tragic and senseless situation we all found ourselves in at that time. I held and tried to save some of those names on that wall. I went there one time.. It was too overwhelming for me to ever consider going back. Not all of us that were exposed to Agent Orange have been afflicted to the cancers that it leads to. I lost a dear old friend to it two years ago. I too hope that I can somehow avoid his fate.
I don't want to see our young go off to war, but my son already has and fortunately has returned. Nobody dispises war more than those who have gone and no-one respects those who must go, more than those who have gone before them. It would truly be wonderful if we could live in a world where there was no war, but war has been a fact of life since the dawn of man. The only advances we have made is how effective we are at killing one another. I do however believe that the only way we will survive with our freedom as a nation is to remain strong and vigilant. I believe that it is a contract between the generations that we defend our principals.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh please elaborate... We all just hang on your every word...
That's too big of a thread drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
For the record: I don't give a red hot Eff about future generations...I am ONLY responsible for my own actions.

Future generations have to take care of themselves like I did.

I owe them and YOU NOTHING.
I wish people had spoken to me like that when I was a kid; I would have never had any illusions about America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
42 USC § 402 - Old-age and survivors insurance benefit payments
It's no more an insurance than Obamacare's mandatory tax is a penalty. It's doublespeak.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM

By all means start another then..

Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Pretty powerful stuff about how the Baby Boomers, the worst generation in history, are waging a generational war against the rest of America.

Generational Warfare: The Case Against Parasitic Baby Boomers - NationalJournal.com
Like most young people, the author was clueless and full of himself. I can't stand reading articles that are so full of arrogance. You can get the same information across in a factual way without all the drama.

Not worth my time to read fully. Sorry.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
By all means start another then..
That's what I thought....

Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is a reaction to very bad government policies, like quotas and so-called "anti-discrimination" laws.

I hire someone with no college degree, but 4 years of military experience in communication electronic repair at 3rd Shop. Then along comes a "minority" who screams "racism" and sues me because I wouldn't hire them, even though they had zero experience, or I did hire them, but started them at a lower rate of pay, because they had no training and no experience.

College degrees are simply union cards that help protect employers from Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson Feminazi style discrimination law suits -- which cost a helluva lot of money to defend, even when you're innocent.

Things like that happen when the government attempts to engage in "social engineering."

Emphasizing...
No offense, because your frustration is understandable. But neither is it fair to blame the (attempted) "cures", while overlooking the very "disease" that prompted them in the first place!

Heck, when a Harvard-educated black guy can't even assume the job of POTUS without a bunch of yahoos ragging him for being an "uppity muslim Kenyan", then what chance does the average 'minority' have? Like it or not, ending slavery and segregation, and now discrimination, have all required no small amount of guv-mint "engineering" (among other things). And BTW, who else is gonna do it...?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Did you really create a thread, like this, and not expect the AARP crowd to come out in a full force blitz?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Or maybe he was just having a bad day 'cuz somebody "unfriended" him on Facebook...

Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That was when boomers had it right. Vietnam was BS. What happened since then? So now the solution is to teach them a thing or two with the very thing your generation revolted against. That's the lesson you learned?
Well, consider one aspect. Those that served, did so making much less money, therefore paying less into a system that pays you back based on how much you put in (SS). Those that remain in civilian life now will pay more in and get more credits for when it is time to get theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies