Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you think that we control the government, but laws are enacted without our consent and (usually) knowledge.
You accepted it; that's tacit consent. Whether you believe that the founders' form of freedom was right or a progressive form of freedom is right, you must accept that you as a citizen are responsible for the actions of the government. That doesn't change with the type of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I say we bring back the draft if the younger people think they have it bad now. How many boomers escaped that or enlisted to avoid it?
I totally agree. In the Bay area there are so many young foreigners who have never supported their country, or ours, that it might be useful to allow them to see the world since they like to hate Americans but love our tax dollars.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
You accepted it; that's tacit consent. Whether you believe that the founders' form of freedom was right or a progressive form of freedom is right, you must accept that you as a citizen are responsible for the actions of the government. That doesn't change with the type of government.
Apparently, you accept it, too. That's tacit consent.
So what's your argument?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
[Mircea;26447683]What facts? All he did was post an anecdotal rant by a Generation Y-Work puke.
I was being sarcastic. Forgot to .

Quote:
But that isn't true at all.

Even if you had $2.6 TRILLION in gold in the OASI Trust Fund, Social Security still collapses 2023-2024 because it is not collecting enough in revenues to sustain the system.

The FICA tax is too low, there aren't enough people working and they aren't getting paid enough to sustain the system.

The only way to keep the system solvent is to raise the FICA tax, get more people working, and pay them more....

...but that is impossible.

To have even a snowball's chance in hell of funding Social Security or Medicare, this is how many people you need to have working right now, this second.....

154,832,000 workers

You have 143,333,000 workers.

See the problem, or at least one of the problems?

You're short about 11,499,000 workers.

Uh, full-time workers. 11,499,000 full-time workers, not 11,499,000 part-time workers or 3 Million part-time workers and 8,499,000 full-time workers, but 11,499,000 full-time 40 hour per week workers.

Uh, paying 7.05% in FICA taxes, not 6.2%.

I just know someone is going to say that there's a thread where Moody's Analytical says 12 Million jobs will be "created" by 2016 no matter who is president.

I don't know how to break this to people, but if you don't have 161,158,000 employees by 2016, it won't matter. You need to create 17.8 Million jobs between now and 2016.
Technically....

Mircea[/quote]

Actually I should say it is a Ponzi scheme. And when does a Ponzi scheme collapse? When you run out of people to put their money into it. The less money that flows in, the lower the pay out, until you don't have a cash flow any more, there are no payouts. Wasn't the government suppose to secure the money (investments) that it received rather than direct it to other programs that were short of funds or programs that they created and required funding that the government itself did not have, eventually leaving the fund broke and in debt and now on the verge of collapse?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Everyone. Everyone said that we're capitalists, but we're not. Everyone said that America was good, but it's not.

If I had known that the United States was a criminal enterprise and its citizens crooks, my life would have been quite different. Unfortunately, I was too busy trying to figure out WWJD. Foolish.

You are the government.

Here's a suggestion: leave the country. Go somewhere that meets your ideals and live in a criminal-free environment.

I'm the government? When did I get elected? What office in government do I hold? When do I start? Where is my office? Someone please tell me!!!!!!! I have a bill I want to enact increasing SS payments!!!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently, you accept it, too. That's tacit consent.
So what's your argument?
That's true. I am also responsible for the evils of America, but I can also say that I am working to stop it. One way that I'm doing that is by talking to people, challenging the status quo.

The country's what we make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Here's a suggestion: leave the country. Go somewhere that meets your ideals and live in a criminal-free environment.
Nope. You started it with corrupt religion, years of imprisonment in a public school, years of propaganda, and circumcision. I don't walk away from fights that others start; I'll not win, but I can't lose.

Quote:
I'm the government? When did I get elected? What office in government do I hold? When do I start? Where is my office? Someone please tell me!!!!!!! I have a bill I want to enact increasing SS payments!!!!!
You have had every option to be politically active, and you chose to neglect that potential. You have created a corrupt government as a consequence of laziness. That's why you're the government.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 10-10-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

I've met and have a few friends in the Hollywood and NY entertainment industries and have had some personal conversations with some of the "elite" of those scenes. It's a totally different world that some of these people live in.
The key word being "some". Some manage to be perfectly normal people who actually sit in traffic on the freeway and pick out their own veggies at Gelson's. (Though come to think of it the ones I know are all ..... Boomers! )

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-10-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Makes it really. The worst Congress ever is made up mostly of people from the worst generation ever. Makes perfect sense.
Mindless vitriol spilled into the web, this is the new pastime for that wave of young people looking for someone to blame for their plight. When todays boomer generation were young most thought they had been sold a bill of goods by their parents generation. The Man In the grey Flannel Suit, The Hidden Persuaders, and of course The Death Of A Salesman, allowing us a look into the trials of Willy Loman, the fifties everyman. These movies and books were the aggregate of what most of us saw as the mindlessness of our parents generation, those over consuming, corporate ladder climbing, depression era types that we didn't want to emulate. Materialism on a grand scale was the order of the day in the fifties, we rejected a lot of it but didn't have anything to replace it.

Community was the new watchword, peace, prosperity without greed, justice, all these things were being heralded as the NEW way. Unfortunately, like most of the past American generations we didn't get much change, instead a lot of us were assimilated into that caldron of humanity that worshipped greed and climbing to the heights of corporatism. Want to blame someone for the current economic debacle? Blame the innate aspect of our species that makes our own self interest so appealing. Blame the greedy DNA that drives the whining over the fact of taxes, foreign aid, and sharing in general that American's have come to hate so much.

Every generation has it's day in the barrel, some complain, others see it as part of that which is inevitable, to hope for a life of rowing in the blue water is foolish. Most of my fellow Boomers have come a long way towards understanding the world, yes, it's a far different one than what we thought we could create, but change never occurs in a vacuum. Forces outside of our control actually run this world, we didn't know that, we believed in the myth of American democracy, we took it to the extreme by taking to the streets to get the justice that we knew was long overdue for a lot of American's. Racism, sexism, militarism, and more were part of our parents legacy, we were left to deal with it, and we did. Not everyone from my generation was co-opted into that sea of mindless greed, and some day our younger generation will see that their blinging consumerism, iphones and cool tats are just a sign of the times, meaningless crap that they bought into. In the meantime all you young guys and gals will have to wait until your own children are looking at you with that look of disgust, mixed with a dash of pity..........

Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
The Baby Boomers are the most overrated generation, the most self-entitled generation, and the most hypocritical generation. At least in regards to the way they view themselves in the world. I am tired of hearing them badmouth every other living generation both before them and after them.

I always hear Baby Boomers complaining about Generation X and Generation Y. How they dress, what music they listen to, their attitude towards work, and that they don't respect people who are older than them. I know right! It's not like any of the Baby Boomers ever had unconventional attitudes or were disrespectful of authority...

And I am 100% certain absolutely NONE of their parents were subsidizing their lifestyles. Absolutely. None. Of. Their. Parents.

The past three American Presidents have been Baby Boomers and all three of them used drugs during their youth. Hell, the current one even has a picture of himself "choomin'". All three of those Presidents have stepped up the War on Drugs and the amount of people who are in prison for drug offenses continues to rise. All three have claimed that using drugs can ruin your life. Even disregarding the fact that drug use did not prevent them from becoming what is effectively the most powerful person on the face of the Earth, they do make good on their claim. They support the government ruining your life and preventing you from ever getting the opportunities that their comparatively more liberal times granted them.

I remember seeing a clip from an old talk show from the late 60s or early 70s that had Mick Jagger and Keith Richards on it many years. They were saying that how embarrassing it was that Elvis Presley was still performing and how stupid this old man looked on stage. Keep in mind that they were talking about how a man in his mid- or late-30s was "too old" for rock-and-roll. Now the Rolling Stones are senior citizens and they are still performing. That pretty much sums up the Baby Boomers right there. The Baby Boomers sponged off their parents, whined about how persecuted they were, coined the phrase "don't trust anyone over 30", they smoked, they drank, they did drugs, they f--ked and got f--ked by anything that moves, they flipped authority the bird, and they committed more crimes than any other generation before or since (kinda funny how the most crime ridden period in American history was from the mid-60s to the early-90s when Boomers were in the age groups that commit the most crimes). Now, they are middle-aged and elderly and these same self-indulgent f--kers are demanding everyone under 30 to grow up and do something important with their lives like ensuring the Baby Boomers a comfortable retirement and plenty of benefits meanwhile Generation Y is projected to be the first generation in America that will earn less than its parents.

DISCLAIMER: My rant is aimed at the Baby Boomers who are bashing the Greatest Generation, the Silent Generation, Generation X, and Generation Y and the flagrant hypocrisy of those who grew up in the 60s-80s who are accusing today's youth of being hedonistic. If you were born between 1945-1965 and my rant does not apply to you; no offense was meant.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
That's true. I am also responsible for the evils of America, but I can also say that I am working to stop it. One way that I'm doing that is by talking to people, challenging the status quo.

The country's what we make it.

Nope. You started it with corrupt religion, years of imprisonment in a public school, years of propaganda, and circumcision. I don't walk away from fights that others start; I'll not win, but I can't lose.

You have had every option to be politically active, and you chose to neglect that potential. You have created a corrupt government as a consequence of laziness. That's why you're the government.
For goodness sake, you are special and the only one who is working to improve the US.
Actions on an internet board, especially CD, provide so many changes in the government.
I'm honored to share this board with you.
I bow to your superior knowledge, ethics and actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies