Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 AM

101 posts, read 210,715 times

Advertisements

My family (together) makes just above $300,000 per year. Are we well off? Absolutely, and I thank God everyday. However, both my wife and I have worked damn HARD to get where we are, and it's required a lot of sacrifice that I know for a fact (because this includes many of my friends) a lot of people who haven't enjoyed this much financial success were not willing to put in ... I've worked 100-hour weeks while my friends chose to take a different path so that they could have more free time in the coming years and have to travel less/be with their families more ... that's very noble and I completely understand that, but should that factor into how I'm treated once I've succeeded financially? I didn't come from a rich family, and neither did my wife; and if you think we are RICH, then you're just insane. After how hard we've worked, there need to be some rewards ... I consider those being able to go on vacation places that I've always dreamed about having enough money to travel to ... letting my son join a competitive soccer team ... living in a house that my wife and I have always dreamed about living in - the "light at the end of the tunnel" that got me through those long weeks. And now, that I've finally "made it," I feel I don't have enough money to pay for that stuff.

So no one tell me I'm not paying my fair share. The fact that I pay anything to anyone else should be considered "my fair share," but I'm sick of being labeled as "rich" by any politician, because just because I'm in someone's tax bracket does NOT mean that I'm anywhere close to as well off as they are ... the tax brackets right now are ridiculous, and they're only going to get worse. Glad I worked so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
My family (together) makes just above $300,000 per year. Are we well off? Absolutely, and I thank God everyday. However, both my wife and I have worked damn HARD to get where we are, and it's required a lot of sacrifice that I know for a fact (because this includes many of my friends) a lot of people who haven't enjoyed this much financial success were not willing to put in ... I've worked 100-hour weeks while my friends chose to take a different path so that they could have more free time in the coming years and have to travel less/be with their families more ... that's very noble and I completely understand that, but should that factor into how I'm treated once I've succeeded financially? I didn't come from a rich family, and neither did my wife; and if you think we are RICH, then you're just insane. After how hard we've worked, there need to be some rewards ... I consider those being able to go on vacation places that I've always dreamed about having enough money to travel to ... letting my son join a competitive soccer team ... living in a house that my wife and I have always dreamed about living in - the "light at the end of the tunnel" that got me through those long weeks. And now, that I've finally "made it," I feel I don't have enough money to pay for that stuff.

So no one tell me I'm not paying my fair share. The fact that I pay anything to anyone else should be considered "my fair share," but I'm sick of being labeled as "rich" by any politician, because just because I'm in someone's tax bracket does NOT mean that I'm anywhere close to as well off as they are ... the tax brackets right now are ridiculous, and they're only going to get worse. Glad I worked so hard.

And asking you to go without another 2000 dollars a year is a huge financial burden on you? At the same time, we are going to be asking other Americans, like those in school, to pay more of their own way, or cut back on the mortgage interest deduction that so many of us who make far less then you use every year to pay a little less in taxes.

No one is saying you aren't paying your fair share. But when other programs are being cut back, that you don't use, its not a large step to say "hey, you can pay a few thousand more in taxes that you won't see"

I'd much rather we have a one, flat, percentage income tax, with 0 deductions. But Republicans don't want to do that either, so if we are going to use the progressive tax system, we should use it.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

Not that I'm the biggest Obama supporter... but maybe you should crack open a dictionary and actually learn what "entitled" means.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Please feel free to get the complete transcript then.

This sentiment goes hand in hand with things Obama has been saying all year such as "you didn't build that".

That is another example where Liberals attempted to say he was taken out of context. HOWEVER when you read the entire CONTEXT, it was even WORSE.
No, I think the clip is quite clear. Obama with anti-colonial attitude and his absolute hatred of white people doesn't want anyone to succeed. He is trying as hard as he can to destroy America.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
No, I think the clip is quite clear. Obama with anti-colonial attitude and his absolute hatred of white people doesn't want anyone to succeed. He is trying as hard as he can to destroy America.

Saying you don't believe someone is entitled to success, and that you don't want anyone to succeed are two different things entirely.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That actually sounded like a Romney line from the debate. I don't remember the exact quote, but Romney had said something about making sure that everybody has the opportunity to succeed.

ETA - He's right, BTW. You're not entitled to success. You have to earn it, and there are no guarantees that you'll ever achieve it. I'm as against Obama for re-election as anyone, but in this case, you should be agreeing with him.
You wouldn't be trying to connect the words of Barack Obama in that speech with what has always been the American way of extending the condition of opportunity to all by using the word entitlement, would you? This election cycle you have heard so much about entitlement that I wonder if anyone really uses the correct definition of it. I don't think Obama meant the word as it is defined when he said entitled because we are all entitled to the right of growing, if we can.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Horse hockey pucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No one in this country is entitled to success. You are supposed to make your own road, not have the government give you success.

The American people decided a long time ago that we don't want kids to starve, or people to die from lack of healthcare, and we decided in the 30's and 40's that we should make sure our seniors don't have to live in poverty in their elderly years, or pass the burden of care onto their families. Then we figured out that private insurance companies wouldn't offer seniors insurance, so we made a government plan for people who couldn't get traditional insurance because they were to old and to high an insurance risk.

So yeah, you can fail. If you've never been poor, and on food stamps, having to go with tooth aches because you can't see a dentist you can't afford, etc, and then you still want to call that a success because the government helped them some, thats your business, but it isn't a reality.

No one is entitled to be Warren Buffet.
Do you know the difference in equality of condition and equality of opportunity? If so tell me that everybody isn't entitled to the latter and that redistribution of wealth isn't aimed at the former.

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Saying you don't believe someone is entitled to success, and that you don't want anyone to succeed are two different things entirely.
I apologize, I thought my sarcasm would be obvious.

With the exception of saying growth should come from the middle out instead of top down. Obama was reiterating what I believe the vast majority of America's believe which is that you are should have the opportunity to succeed, but the not the guarantee of success.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
We don't believe anybody is entitled to anything?

Is that not a logical damn sentence? The only thing you are entitled to at birth, is death and taxes.
According to left leaning redistribution of wealth I think you might find that everybody is entitled to an equality of condition. To me that says everybody should have everything that everybody else can have and that money has to be distributed evenly among us to attain that one.

Obama used the words entitled to anything and that makes me wonder if he even understands our present system that he wants to change so badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies