Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
To answer the OP's question...

I believe it is absolutely racially motivated. Democrats have since the 60s been the civil rights party, like it or not. MOST Southern whites have this inbred (no pun intended) belief that they got screwed in the ending of slavery and now are bitter. It is so obvious here in the South.

Oh, and also the 'Christian' thing.

BTW I am neither a D or a R. I believe both parties are full of it. Call me politically bitter.
i am in the south, and it isn't obvious to me. as for MOST southern whites, MOST did not own any slaves so they weren't screwed by the ending of slavery.

Another common misconception is that Southern blacks were all slaves and could own no property. However, blacks themselves held slaves throughout the war. According to Roger D. McGrath, in “Slavery’s Inconvenient Facts,” Chronicles Magazine, November 2001, in 1860 some 3,000 blacks owned nearly 20,000 black slaves. In South Carolina alone, black slaveholders owned more than 10,000 blacks. Born a slave in 1790, William Ellison owned 63 slaves by 1860, making him one of Charleston’s leading slaveholders. In the 1850 census for Charleston City, the port of Charleston, there were 68 black men and 123 black women who owned slaves. In Louisiana’s St. Landry Parish, according to the 1860 census, black planter Auguste Donatto owned 70 slaves and farmed 500 acres of cotton fields. Of course, black slaveholders were the exception to the rule, but so were white ones. According to McGrath, only a small minority of Southern whites owned slaves—little more than five percent of the white population if calculated by individual owner, or twenty to twenty-five percent if all the members of the slave owners’ families are included. This means that seventy-five percent or more of Southerners neither owned slaves themselves nor were members of families who did.

and lincoln was the first republican president.

but the myth lives on because it is politically expedient.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,148,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Why would racists who hate black people vote for black people? Answer me that one genius. Btw, that isn't a rhetorical question, I want an answer from you.
Several reasons:

1. They believe their black candidate is "one of the good ones."

2. They place the value of having someone in office who will enact the types of legislation they favor above their prejudices. This seems to be the case with Ms. Brentwood's example. I don't really believe her story, but it certainly happens.

3. They believe it insulates them from criticism of being prejudiced. You see this quite frequently on this forum and specifically in this thread.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
How is requiring an ID racist? Are stores and restaurants that ID for booze racist towards the poor and blacks? You believe that black people are inferior and incapable of getting an id. That is racist.
I didn't say voter ID laws are racist, dear. In fact, if you had read my post, you would see that I support voter ID laws, with a qualifier.

Let me explain this in a way that you might comprehend. I support voter ID laws, but we first must make sure everyone has an appropriate ID. I believe in the principle because I want honest elections and I believe vulnerable groups will actually benefit by having a photo ID. Unfortunately, Republicans are pushing this so hard in an election year because they understand that by pushing through these laws before ensuring that all have photo IDs, they will prevent poor and elderly blacks from voting in key states that will enhance their electoral chances.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That is completely wrong. 19 Senators tried to keep the bill from passing through filibuster. 18 were Democrats and 1 was a Republican. 80+% of the Republicans voted in favor of the bill.
You need to read some history.
21 Democratic senators voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Bill. 20 were from the South. This included Strom Thurmond, who, like his constituents, eventually shifted to the Republican Party. By the 1980s, the shift had mostly been completed as prejudiced Southerners were overwhelmingly Republicans.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Newsflash! It turns out Southern white males are smart enough not to vote for people who openly hate them and their culture only slightly less than Hitler.

Darn those stupid, yet strangely smart Southern white males!
I hate your culture, but I'm not running for anything. Can you point out the national candidates who have indicated a hatred for Southern culture?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Which party now pursues race based policies over policies that are racially neutral?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Can you name a Republican KKK member that was majority leader of the Senate?

I guess it's okay for people to say Republicans are racist. But someone points out racism by Democrats and there is a problem.

Gotcha.
Darn it, you got me with that one! I may as well just concede right now!!!

I never saw that one coming! Never before, when confronted with a plethora of prejudiced comments by modern-day Republicans, has anyone ever attempted to deflect by invoking the name of Robert Byrd! Never!!!

This would be the point where you would also want to point out that Lincoln was a Republican.

He freed the slaves, you know.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 AM

58,748 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
21 Democratic senators voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Bill. 20 were from the South. This included Strom Thurmond, who, like his constituents, eventually shifted to the Republican Party. By the 1980s, the shift had mostly been completed as prejudiced Southerners were overwhelmingly Republicans.
Let's NOT forget that Strom changed his thinking. In fact HE was the FIRST Senator to have a colored on his staff. How long did it take Byrd to have one?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Let's NOT forget that Strom changed his thinking. In fact HE was the FIRST Senator to have a colored on his staff. How long did it take Byrd to have one?
I'll bet that staff member was one of the good coloreds.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Here, I'll help you out for my county:

Williamson County, TN
2008 Results:
McCain 68%
Obama 30%

Percent with college degree: 52% (Average in US: 23%) So my county is much more educated than the nation.

Income: Consistently ranked one of the 20 wealthiest counties in the country:
#17 in 2011

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's hard for you to believe, but many successfull, educated people are conservative because we agree with conservative policies and don't give two hoots if the person is black, white, or green with polka dots.
I am sorry,but then why the GOP allows racist people in their ballots and never call them on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.