Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Romney said he liked Big Bird and he said he liked the moderator too. I felt it was a veiled threat that let the moderator know the debate should be fair and if it wasn't somebody could some day lose their job. It may be the reason the debate was not one-sided.

Nobody should be concerned about Big Bird. As one person put it, if Big Bird is let go another media will pick him up and he will be alive and well doing his thing on another channel.

I like public TV, but is it really worth going into debt for? If you were deciding your budget, would Big Bird be more important than people in your family having a job?

When I hear some of you discussing things it becomes evident why our nation is in so much financial trouble. Logical thought is beyond some people's intelligence.

I have heard many people in the news saying what a small percentage of the total budget the PBS is. I have heard others saying what a small percentage of the total budget the money we send to other countries is. Let's be logical about this for a minute too. Many small percentages of the budget when put together can sometimes add up to be a large percentage of the budget. And any percentage of the budget that one has to borrow money to pay is a percentage that should be discontinued unless it is totally necessary. Romney had a good point and we need someone the head of our government thinking this way as long as he is not breaking promises to our citizens.

I will tell you something else that is taking a percentage of our budget that we should not have to deal with. It is the money used to educate, house, feed, police, etc. those in this country illegally. Romney and I disagree on this point.
I'd rather my money go to PBS.... then some billionaires Capital gains tax break..........you do know capital gains are only taxed at half what Regular wages are..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Team Big Bird to help save PBS has 36,306 members already.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Romney's BS was a dog whistle to the far right wing Ayn Rand lovers. They have always picked on PBS as far back as Nixon.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Romney's BS was a dog whistle to the far right wing Ayn Rand lovers. They have always picked on PBS as far back as Nixon.
You're right. I remember when Mr. Rogers went before the senate to testify about the Nixon cuts of PBS in 1969.

Mister Rogers defending PBS to the US Senate - YouTube

Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Big Bird got into the debate because Mitt's advisers knew saying "Big Bird Must Die!" would be a sure-fire way to make everyone talk about Mitt the next day.

What? He didn't say "Big Bird Must Die!"? Oh, he wimped out?

How disappointing. I was kind of hoping he showed those Democrats a thing or two about Republican toughness. You know... tough where it counts! Like killing Big Bird. And putting pizza and chicken nuggets back on the menu for the school lunch program. Nothing says "tough" like telling kids they are free to eat pizza! Maybe that's where Mitt will go during the next debate:

"We're going to dig up Michelle's garden and put chili dogs back in our schools!!"

Boy, that would show them, wouldn't it? Forget Big Bird, Mitt. Big Bird's for sissy boys. Tell us how forceful you'll be as president when you rip out the rows of lettuce on the White House lawn with your bare hands. Go get 'em Mitt! Dare to eat pork rinds!!

Forget that wimpy "Live Free or Die" America. New motto for the Repubs: "Eat Pizza or Die!"

What? Really? Oh.....

Rats. I wanted dibs on the drum stick.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
At least neither candidate mentioned Oscar the Grouch - no matter how much the trash in Washington needs to be taken out.

Long live Oscar!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes I'll admit it made me tingle

Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Wow, if donations are any indication PBS collected a wopping $361.42 from the left during that drive!

However, the 1%ers in PBS (Big Bird, Cookie Monster, the Count, etc) collect millions from taxpayers, well, those that actually pay taxes that is.

The commercial ventures that are spun off of PBS reap profit from taxpayer subsidies.

They need to be weaned off of taxpayer funds and subsist on the commercial millions lining their private pockets.

PBS is a misnomer........it should be called GBS.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Wow, if donations are any indication PBS collected a wopping $361.42 from the left during that drive!

However, the 1%ers in PBS (Big Bird, Cookie Monster, the Count, etc) collect millions from taxpayers, well, those that actually pay taxes that is.

The commercial ventures that are spun off of PBS reap profit from taxpayer subsidies.

They need to be weaned off of taxpayer funds and subsist on the commercial millions lining their private pockets.

PBS is a misnomer........it should be called GBS.

Jeez - remember when parents were killing each other to buy "Tickle Me Elmo"?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Jeez - remember when parents were killing each other to buy "Tickle Me Elmo"?
My daughter bought one.

I had to 'neuter' it. Damn thing nearly drove me crazy.......a pair of pliers and 'snip'!

Same thing happened to that little troll doll from gremlins.

The stupid little japanese 'feed me' toy was killed by my pet rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies