Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Big Bird is what every person who loves America, is giving obama ... He deserves nothing more than the bird..!
I would prefer to give him the hand sign that the rioter in the picture of Chicago rioters in 1968 was shooting and Life published. I think he would understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
^ Brought to you by the letters BS.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...15308036_n.jpg
You and Big Bird are pretty well informed but I think your figures are just a bit Democrat style pelosi and I am sure that I will not have to pay $6000 more per year because of Medicare getting cuts. Hell, Obama's health care law requires over $50 billion per year cut from Medicare and it is the thing that Romney wants to repeal. Do you think that we old people won't be voting for Romney over that part of Obamacare? Many of us will vote against Obama because of that one thing.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you watch the debate? You don't sound like you did but then . . . . . . . .

Just today I was watching a rerun of the debate and was shocked that I had missed the Big Bird part, but then it came at the end of the thing and Romney just threw that part in to show that nothing is beyond his cutting stick. He said to Lehrer that he may cut his show and Big Bird along with it. Of course, he was smiling when he said it all and Lehrer smiled in understanding also.

I was watching the re-run on Real News that is a Blaze TV show so maybe they just threw that part in somehow. I really didn't hear what he was saying about Big Bird in the live debate but thought that surely some leaner would call me on that thing I posted. I guess none of you watched just as happens with every thing I post. I wonder what I could get by with.
Romney was talking aout cutting spending asecifically waseful spending somce wew are so far in debt and the deficit is so high.

He said they, he and Congress, would look at every program and the decision would have to be made if each program was worth borrowing from China in order to pay for it. The PBS and Big bird comments were off the cuff. saying it would have to be decided if PBS was worth borrowing from China to pay for it.

I just love how the lefties try to twist and turn every comment made to be negative and heart wrenching. Oh, just look Romney wants to kill Big Bird. the horror!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Romney was talking aout cutting spending asecifically waseful spending somce wew are so far in debt and the deficit is so high.

He said they, he and Congress, would look at every program and the decision would have to be made if each program was worth borrowing from China in order to pay for it. The PBS and Big bird comments were off the cuff. saying it would have to be decided if PBS was worth borrowing from China to pay for it.

I just love how the lefties try to twist and turn every comment made to be negative and heart wrenching. Oh, just look Romney wants to kill Big Bird. the horror!
You and the OP need to look at the video again because you're both are trying to rewrite what Mitt actually said and how the public in general---not just the Democrats---are reacting to Mitt's latest foot-in-mouth episode.

Mitt Romney Vs Big Bird - YouTube

Feathers fly over Romney's Big Bird comments | Video | Reuters.com

Why Mitt Romney Took On PBS, Big Bird and ‘Sesame Street’ in Debate | Entertainment | TIME.com

Mitt Romney's Big Bird Attack Threatens Thousands Of U.S. Jobs

Romney's Threat to Big Bird Sows Confusion Abroad, and Feeds It at Home - NYTimes.com

Romney to Big Bird: You're fired | Washington Times Communities

Big Bird on SNL Video: Reacts to Romney Debate, Oct 6, 2012 | NowPublic News Coverage

PBS CEO Paula Kerger: Mitt Romney's Debate Attack Was 'Stunning' (VIDEO)

Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Hey a hole the thread is about Big Bird, hence the talk about Sesame Street. Yes there are other shows on PBS where the producers make money and can also help contribute to the cost of PBS ."""""

Yes, and I expressed my opinion on why . And the word is "whole" not "hole"....guess you should've WATCHED Sesame Street!

"""Your cable bill also provides money to the PBS stations.""""

I do NOT have a cable bill.

""" Of course if you feel so strongly about it you can open your wallet and contribute during 1 of their endless telethons.""

Ya. So? What has THAT got to do with Big Bird?

"""Or PBS could just run commercials and be done with all this nonsense."""

Yes, the Repugs would love that because then the impartial news reporing would disappear.

""" I am sure their are certain companies who would welcome the different demographic that watches PBS
The reason Big Bird was mentioned was because Repugs, in their hatred of science, the arts, history and fair news reporting, do NOT watch PBS and think Sesame Street is the only show.

I've heard others instantly mention Sesame Street whenever PBS is mentioned...they never got past it.

PBS news hour was given an award for impartal and fair reporting so of course Repugnants would hate it and want it shut down...or have sponors call the shots on what's reported.....

Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The reason Big Bird was mentioned was because Repugs, in their hatred of science, the arts, history and fair news reporting, do NOT watch PBS and think Sesame Street is the only show.

I've heard others instantly mention Sesame Street whenever PBS is mentioned...they never got past it.

PBS news hour was given an award for impartal and fair reporting so of course Repugnants would hate it and want it shut down...

It's also a way for the poor to see concerts, art, science shows,etc. they they couldn't afford to see in person....another reason Republicans hate it, the poor get something for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
DUHHHHHHHHHHH, wipe the drool off the chin....Sesame Street is not the only show on PBS....maybe it's just the only one Repubs can understand....
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you watch the debate? You don't sound like you did but then . . . . . .""""""

Why don't YOU read my posts! It sounds like you didn't hear anything ...and your post above has nothing to do with the post of mine you quoted!!!! . .

"""Just today I was watching a rerun of the debate and was shocked that I had missed the Big Bird part, but then it came at the end of the thing and Romney just threw that part in to show that nothing is beyond his cutting stick. He said to Lehrer that he may cut his show and Big Bird along with it. Of course, he was smiling when he said it all and Lehrer smiled in understanding also.

I was watching the re-run on Real News that is a Blaze TV show so maybe they just threw that part in somehow. I really didn't hear what he was saying about Big Bird in the live debate but thought that surely some leaner would call me on that thing I posted. I guess none of you watched just as happens with every thing I post. I wonder what I could get by with.
But, oh, please comment anyway ....:rolle yes:

Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
You and the OP need to look at the video again because you're both are trying to rewrite what Mitt actually said and how the public in general---not just the Democrats---are reacting to Mitt's latest foot-in-mouth episode.

Mitt Romney Vs Big Bird - YouTube

Feathers fly over Romney's Big Bird comments | Video | Reuters.com

Why Mitt Romney Took On PBS, Big Bird and ‘Sesame Street’ in Debate | Entertainment | TIME.com

Mitt Romney's Big Bird Attack Threatens Thousands Of U.S. Jobs

Romney's Threat to Big Bird Sows Confusion Abroad, and Feeds It at Home - NYTimes.com

Romney to Big Bird: You're fired | Washington Times Communities

Big Bird on SNL Video: Reacts to Romney Debate, Oct 6, 2012 | NowPublic News Coverage

PBS CEO Paula Kerger: Mitt Romney's Debate Attack Was 'Stunning' (VIDEO)
I watched what Romney said, live. I don't need to see what some one else "thinks" he said.

What part about looking at every program and determining if it is worth borrowing from China to pay for it, don't you understand?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,389 times
The reality is the guy who has played Big Bird (and I believe he also plays Oscar the grouch) earns somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000 a year. Not bad for a puppeteer. My problem is I (you too) thanks to our taxes have all helped pay his salary over the 40+ years "Sesame Street" has been on the air. I know in order to make it in today's economy I need to cut some expenses out of my budget, so why not start there? Besides Elmo gets all the attention now anyway. I'm sure big bird has a nice retirement nest egg set up for himself, and Elmo can continue to make toys parents will damn near kill themselves come Christmas time trying to acquire. Folks the world will not end with PBS gone. That's why they have the Discovery channel, History channel, Nat Geo, and Nickelodeon, and A&E.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM

876 posts, read 708,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I'd rather my money go to PBS.... then some billionaires Capital gains tax break..........you do know capital gains are only taxed at half what Regular wages are..........
You do know that your tax money doesn't go to billionaires, right? You don't pay more taxes because of their tax break. You must not realize that their money has already been taxed. They take their money that they earned that has already been taxed and then they invest it in companies. Without those investments our economy would fail. If we taxed them more on what they make on their investments, then why would they even bother. They might as well just stick their money in a mattress. If you love PBS so much, give them money.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Now it's Big Bird driving the conversation and not in a good way for Romney.
Talk about distracting from President Obama's record....

I can hear it now: I voted for Obama because of Big Bird and Clint Eastwood's empty chair rant.

And some say, the dumbing down of America isn't true

I'm just glad I'm voting for Gary Johnson/Libertarian Party where "real" issues still matter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies