Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
This makes me think about hipsters/yuppies/old hippies who want to eat "natural" or "organic" food. Naturally produced meat = a breeding ground bacteria. That's how nature works.... bacteria love breaking down dead stuff.

Same thing goes for naturally grown plants and bugs/mold/blight.
Not at all.

I eat freshly slaughtered chickens regularly. Care to explain why naturally produced meat would have more bacteria than factory farmed meat? They're both dead.

Factory farms are FAR more prone to bacteria.

Just look at what happened with Jack in the Box in the 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
There are also age-related effects that can determine what you can or cannot do on your own. My father can replace the brake pads on a car but can't set up a home wifi network. My sister is more computer savvy but can't change her own oil.
I don't see what age has to do with either's inability to set up a network or change oil.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
The main reason is the benefits of specialization of labor. You may be better off doing what you do can make the most at and paying someone else to do the things you do not do so well. Myself, and most of my friends, are pretty self-sufficient. Gotta admit I pay someone to mow the yard, because I don't like doing it myself.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
On the otherhand though, you have huge numbers of people that have no idea where their food comes from other than the supermarket. And they are used to the perfection they see with fruits/vegetables/eggs and the redness of supermarket meat. Show them some homegrown version and they turn their nose up at it.
I picked some oranges from the tree out back the other day. Half of the oranges would never see a supermarket shelf if they came from a commercial grove - but I drank the juice and it was great!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,383 times
I wouldn't define self sufficient as actually physically doing everything for yourself. Self sufficient means you aren't leaning on others to give it to you. If you pay for it to be done that just as self sufficient as doing it yourself.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
This makes me think about hipsters/yuppies/old hippies who want to eat "natural" or "organic" food. Naturally produced meat = a breeding ground bacteria. That's how nature works.... bacteria love breaking down dead stuff.

Same thing goes for naturally grown plants and bugs/mold/blight.
Actually there's more danger of getting sick from CAFO factory farm meat.
Close living conditions, proactive medication to keep disease off and quick fast mass slaughtering.

Right now there is a mass recall going on regarding salmonella in peanuts.
They traced it to the manufacturer making nut butter which is the ingredient for other peanut products.
Seems their work surfaces weren't "clean".

Imagine. We have one company here that supplies most of the other manufacturers and now we have a nationwide recall going on for numerous brand names/stores whose product contains this nut butter.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I can do all 3 of those things myself but would rather pay someone and have the free time.

Don't understand why people can't understand that.

I understand it quite well . In the time it would take me to change my oil I can make $80 doing what I do.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadspeak View Post
If your going to learn to say how to make your own knife then your also going to have to learn how to make bricks and mortar because your going to need to build a forge to heat the steel and also your going to have to buy an anvil or make one yourself. As well as the other tools, if you have money and time then I'd say go for it but otherwise you'll be wasting money. The same thing goes for butchering your own meat and getting your own milk and cheese.
I see your point and with respect disagree. I make knives and in a forge made of steel and have used old fashion forges made of wood and the wood gets black but does not burn.

Making mud brick isn't that hard either. You need either mud for a dry climate or clay you can fire for a wetter climate. You need a binder like grass or hay and some broken and maybe ground ceramic like old brick to add in the clay/mud as another binder.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I see your point and with respect disagree. I make knives and in a forge made of steel and have used old fashion forges made of wood and the wood gets black but does not burn.

Making mud brick isn't that hard either. You need either mud for a dry climate or clay you can fire for a wetter climate. You need a binder like grass or hay and some broken and maybe ground ceramic like old brick to add in the clay/mud as another binder.
You can fire bricks easily enough on your own too. Build up the bricks in a pile to form a kiln, leaving gaps between them and room for a firebox. A beehive shape works but so does a rectangular shape. Add fuel, seal mostly with clay, light up, keep burning, etc.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
For the OP: I think it's simply natural that people don't like to admit or accept they are essentially helpless and unable to be self-reliant. Modern civilization is doing its best to suqeeze people into being helpless worker bees, expendable resources for the queen and colony. Perhaps some people like being part of a colony, but people shouldn't be forced to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies