Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

Big Deal. Why are many nonbelievers so scared or worried about Christianity?

Scared? Worried?

[said who?]

Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I have a question for you: Is it ever ok, in your eyes to be non-Christian or non-religious? Or should everyone in the entire world believe exactly as you do?
I'm OK with non-Christians living in predominately Christian countries, but they should keep it to themselves, and never argue anything about the dominant religion in the country. Respect our Christian culture and history.

23 Reasons Why You Should Be A Christian

Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
I'm OK with non-Christians living in predominately Christian countries, but they should keep it to themselves, and never argue anything about the dominant religion in the country. Respect our Christian culture and history.
Ah, good old freedom loving "Christians".

To the OP.... I give you the best example yet of why we should not have a state religion, most assuredly Christianity. "Keep your mouths shut and never argue with us..."

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
Even very very early on, someone would have asked "which one"? Catholic? Pilgrims? Quakers? Huguenots? Anglicans? These guys had been fighting with each other B4 they came here! So - we probably would have had very contentious beginnings if a state church was declared. Probably would not have been united and had all the states being little independent sectarian areas, with the one which took the leftovers being the most successful financially, among other things.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Even very very early on, someone would have asked "which one"? Catholic? Pilgrims? Quakers? Huguenots? Anglicans? These guys had been fighting with each other B4 they came here! So - we probably would have had very contentious beginnings if a state church was declared. Probably would not have been united and had all the states being little independent sectarian areas, with the one which took the leftovers being the most successful financially, among other things.
Not anymore. I am Roman Catholic but see no reason whatsoever to fight with Lutherans or Anglicans. After all we are all Christians.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Quote:
The United States of America is culturally and historically a Christian nation with no official state religion and Seperation of Church and State. However, we are not 100% secular or completely seperated from the church.

In God We Trust is our official motto, Christmas Day is a Federal/State holiday, Good Friday is observed by several states, God and the 10 commandment is placed in many federal buildings, 98% of the presidents have been Christians, some founding fathers were Christians, we rest on Sundays, we follow the Gregorian/Christian calendar, blue laws in some parts of the nation, etc.

But, if the U.S. actually had Christianity as an official state religion (With no specific denomination) just like many countries across the World - What would the U.S. have been looked like?

* Cross/Jesus images or statues would have been placed in all Federal/State buildings.
* Nativity scenes & Christmas Decorations all over (Although you may still see them in some buildings)
* Probably more Christian holidays would have been observed by the Federal and State (instead or on top of many secular, such as All Saint's Day, Ephiphany, etc.)
* Maybe only Churches would have been tax exempt (Synagogues, Mosques, Hindu/Buddhist/Sikh temples would have most likely paid tax)
* Freedom of Religion still
* Maybe hate speech crime if you attack the Christian faith
* No same-sex marriage
* Maybe everything would be closed on Sundays by law everywhere.

^^ Big Deal. Why are many nonbelievers so scared or worried about Christianity?

People in England, Costa Rica, Norway and other countries seems to be fine!
It's not like Christianity has many rules of how to live life, etc. like Judaism and Islam where they have dietary law, clothing law, Sabbath, etc. restricting their lifestyle.

It would be very much different, I think, because I feel that as far as freedom of religion, speech, and the separationof church and state go, a lot of that would be destroyed. It would restrict some freedoms and I am not okay with that.

We have a Religion and Philosophy forum, if you feel the need to prosetylize please do it there.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:

My chosen religion is about making your own choice. That you find your right path. I was babtised as a teen, and went to an christan religious school for educational, not religious reasons (LAUSD was turning out students who could barely read). I heard all the doctorne, but would ask why an animal didn't have a soul in their lore. And would say they did in my belief. And why would us, mankind, be any different than animals or more privilidged? And other stuff.... (and it was not a fundamentalist church)

When I first started calling myself a pagan it was since I had no other word for it but knew what I believed. When I discovered how many others there were like me, it was joyful. When the idiots who decided I had to be 'saved' bugged me I decided we MUST speak out and question the idea that we are this christian culture. I've heard all about Jesus real message and thats not what our culture or history is about.

How dare anyone say its okay for non christans to live in a predominantly *nominantly* christian country but they can't speak up. And nobody needs his permission either. Respect is given and returned. When the christan churches give equal respect to the non christan ones in their midst, then I'll give them the sort of respect they expect.

There is too MUCH overt influence on our government now, and it is not a reason to ban something or require it because YOUR religion says so.

And 'your' means any of them.

If that was taken out, then would it be okay to murder someone? No. Steal from someone? No. And all the other basic tenants of law repeated all over the world as they are fundamental HUMAN laws.

But it would allow Christans to choose how they conducted *themselves* and christans to shut up. And other religions/sects/whatver to hold to their beliefs so long as they did not harm others or push them in any way on those who did not believe like them.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:

Such a disgusting post. Go move to a theocracy and take your trolling with you. You don't know the first thing about freedom or Christianity.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Well, let me guess what it would be like............."The Teahadists would be slaughtering non-christians and make women walk around fully covered."

Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 AM

7 posts, read 6,868 times
It would be just like any other religious dictatorship state such as: Iran, Afghanistan, Israel and Somalia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies