Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Oh my... this type of dogma is the very reason why you won't ever have to worry about me stepping foot in a church.
Don't worry... I only go to church on holidays and maybe one Sunday every (other) month or so, and when going for a wedding, funeral or baptism. So maximum 10 times a year!

Don't assume that having faith and believe in God requires to attend church every Sunday.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Did you notice how self-serving all those '23 reasons' were?

Jesus Christ (if he ever existed) would tell these people the same things the gosples say he told the Pharisees of his day. "Blind fools! Hypocrites! Snakes!"
First your saying "If he existed", then you quote what he "said".

There are plenty and enough historical and scientific evidence that a Jesus Christ existed, but we cannot proof he was God though, just like you cannot proof there's is no God.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The scary thing is Nunnor's posts sound awfully familiar.

Today Christians ... stand at the head of [this country]... I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity .. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit ... We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past ... (few) years.

- Adolf Hitler, quoted in: The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, 1922-1939, Vol. 1 (London, Oxford University Press, 1942), pg. 871-872
Too bad Hitler was half Jew as well, and later rejected his faith and became an atheist.
You need quotes by Stalin, Mao, Pot, Mussolini and Castro saying evil things about Christianity and religious people before/after murdering hundreds of millions of innocent people because of their lack of belief in God?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by life-lover View Post
It would be just like any other religious dictatorship state such as: Iran, Afghanistan, Israel and Somalia
None of them are Christian nations though. Never compare other barbaric religions with Christianity.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Never compare other barbaric religions with Christianity.
Why not? They're all man made and false...

Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
I'm OK with non-Christians living in predominately Christian countries, but they should keep it to themselves, and never argue anything about the dominant religion in the country. Respect our Christian culture and history.

23 Reasons Why You Should Be A Christian
Here's some reading material for you:

If America were a fully Catholic country, here is what it might look like... ~ Canterbury Tales by Dr. Taylor Marshall

How Do We Know It's the True Church?|Catholic Answers

I'll assert that America is a Catholic Country! Hopefully Protestants got the message and decide to come back to the church of their ancestors.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
None of them are Christian nations though. Never compare other barbaric religions with Christianity.
Uganda has a higher percentage of Christians than the United States and its a barbaric cesspool. Maybe you should get an education instead of wasting our time with trolling.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Have you even met a Christian? It so interesting to me for someone to lie and say such ignorant beliefs about a group of people and then call THEM bigots. Hillarious.
Yes, I've met a Christian. Mohawks set up the first Jesuit mission in St. Regis in the late 1600s. All my relatives are Catholic except me. Based on your posts I've read, I would not consider you esposing the finest of Christian values of Jesus Christ. Those values of compassion, understanding and tolerance.
If Jesus were here today, the first thing he would do is strengthen the social safety nets for the poor, elderly and destitute. Especially in these hard economic times for the underclass. You've spoken against all the major social safety nets in you posts here on C-D. At least the ones I've followed. I don't see you advocating for more social safety net programs but maybe that's just me.
Of course, your intitled to live out your core beliefs however you choose but you could be percieved as a hypocritical follower of Jesus's teachings based on your posts in other threads. I can link if you require validation.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
First your saying "If he existed", then you quote what he "said".

There are plenty and enough historical and scientific evidence that a Jesus Christ existed, but we cannot proof he was God though, just like you cannot proof there's is no God.
No. There isn't.

However we have evidence of where the 'idea' of a hellenized jewish messiah came from.

For example:

A big clue to the origins of tying the Greek philosophical idea of the 'Logos' with either a physical or 'spiritual' 'messiah' is found in the writings of the first century hellenized Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria:
The pivotal and the most developed doctrine in Philo’s writings on which hinges his entire philosophical system, is his doctrine of the Logos. By developing this doctrine he fused Greek philosophical concepts with Hebrew religious thought and provided the foundation for Christianity, first in the development of the Christian Pauline myth and speculations of John, later in the Hellenistic Christian Logos and Gnostic doctrines of the second century. All other doctrines of Philo hinge on his interpretation of divine existence and action. The term Logos was widely used in the Greco-Roman culture and in Judaism. Through most schools of Greek philosophy, this term was used to designate a rational, intelligent and thus vivifying principle of the universe. This principle was deduced from an understanding of the universe as a living reality and by comparing it to a living creature.

Philo of Alexandria*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

To me, the gospel stories of a "Jesus" character seem to have been an invention to personify the Greek philosophical idea of the 'Logos" and tie it in with the Jewish messianic myths of the time.

Curious that Philo, who lived at the time of the supposed Jesus, never mentioned this Jesus messiah person who supposedly went all over the place creating miracles. Neither did the first century Jewish historian Josephus who wrote about the people and the very area where Jesus supposedly conducted his 'ministry'. The insertions by later a Christian zealot (probably Eusebius in the 4th century) are accepted as interpolations (pious fraud) by secular historians because they interrupt the flow of the surrounding text and are not consistent with the style of writing of Josephus.

Last edited by Ceist; 10-19-2012 at 11:36 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Too bad Hitler was half Jew as well, and later rejected his faith and became an atheist.
Hitler was not "half-Jewish" and he was never an atheist.

Religious views of Adolf Hitler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies