Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Why would you compare Islam with Christian faith?

So countries with Christian state religion like Costa Rica, Italy, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Greece, etc. look like Iran?!
No.

Christians don't have dietary law, Sabbath law, clothing law, etc.
Norway abolished their State religion this year.

Have you read the bible lately? They sure do.

It dictates clean vs. unclean animals (better not be eating shellfish!)
But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales--whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water--you are to detest.

You're not allowed to work on the sabbath (God totally destroyed Jerusalem for this)
But if you do not obey me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying any load as you come through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in the gates of Jerusalem that will consume her fortresses.'"

Don't be mixing two different types of fabric either, because that's a no no as well
"You must obey all my decrees. "Do not mate two different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two different kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven from two different kinds of thread.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Norway abolished their State religion this year.

Have you read the bible lately? They sure do.

It dictates clean vs. unclean animals (better not be eating shellfish!)
But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales--whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water--you are to detest.

You're not allowed to work on the sabbath (God totally destroyed Jerusalem for this)
But if you do not obey me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying any load as you come through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in the gates of Jerusalem that will consume her fortresses.'"

Don't be mixing two different types of fabric either, because that's a no no as well
"You must obey all my decrees. "Do not mate two different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two different kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven from two different kinds of thread.
Haven't you heard, Christians are not bound by the Torah. Unless of course you're gay, and then the Torah still applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Haven't you heard, Christians are not bound by the Torah. Unless of course you're gay, and then the Torah still applies.
Oh, yes, the "pick and choose" brand of Christianity.

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:

In God We Trust is our official motto, Christmas Day is a Federal/State holiday, Good Friday is observed by several states, God and the 10 commandment is placed in many federal buildings, 98% of the presidents have been Christians, some founding fathers were Christians, we rest on Sundays, we follow the Gregorian/Christian calendar, blue laws in some parts of the nation, etc.
Keep in mind that Christmas was not really celebrated as a holiday at all when the country was founded. That was added later as it became more popular. In fact, the Puritans actually outlawed the holiday due to it's Pagan based origin!

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Most likely not much different than it is today. A bit more conservative, which in my opinion would be a positive thing, but comparisons to Islam or the Dark Ages are absurd. A return to Judeo-Christian principles, ethics, and morality is actually what America needs, since the departures from such ideals is at the root of many of the nation's woes and problems.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Have you even met a Christian? It so interesting to me for someone to lie and say such ignorant beliefs about a group of people and then call THEM bigots. Hillarious.
I have met many Christians. Many on this forum are against government entitlement programs because, "Jesus never said to help the poor with taxes."

I was at a church years ago where the Sunday sermon topic was that god's design is for women to submit to their husbands in all areas of marriage.

Christians are against homosexuals, no? U.S. Christian Right Activists Pushing Death Penalty for Homosexuals in Poor African State

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
The United States of America is culturally and historically a Christian nation with no official state religion and Seperation of Church and State. However, we are not 100% secular or completely seperated from the church.

In God We Trust is our official motto, Christmas Day is a Federal/State holiday, Good Friday is observed by several states, God and the 10 commandment is placed in many federal buildings, 98% of the presidents have been Christians, some founding fathers were Christians, we rest on Sundays, we follow the Gregorian/Christian calendar, blue laws in some parts of the nation, etc.

But, if the U.S. actually had Christianity as an official state religion (With no specific denomination) just like many countries across the World - What would the U.S. have been looked like?

* Cross/Jesus images or statues would have been placed in all Federal/State buildings.
* Nativity scenes & Christmas Decorations all over (Although you may still see them in some buildings)
* Probably more Christian holidays would have been observed by the Federal and State (instead or on top of many secular, such as All Saint's Day, Ephiphany, etc.)
* Maybe only Churches would have been tax exempt (Synagogues, Mosques, Hindu/Buddhist/Sikh temples would have most likely paid tax)
* Freedom of Religion still
* Maybe hate speech crime if you attack the Christian faith
* No same-sex marriage
* Maybe everything would be closed on Sundays by law everywhere.

^^ Big Deal. Why are many nonbelievers so scared or worried about Christianity?

People in England, Costa Rica, Norway and other countries seems to be fine!
It's not like Christianity has many rules of how to live life, etc. like Judaism and Islam where they have dietary law, clothing law, Sabbath, etc. restricting their lifestyle.
I honestly don't think life in the US would be any different than it is now.
England, where the official religion is Anglicanism and the Queens is bot the head of the state and the church, has some of the most impressive democratic traditions and is liberal enough to allow civil unions.
I don't think the US would be much different. The proble however is that in the US it would be much harder to find the specific Christian denomination to become a state religion. Christianity in the US is extremely fragmented.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have met many Christians. Many on this forum are against government entitlement programs because, "Jesus never said to help the poor with taxes."

I was at a church years ago where the Sunday sermon topic was that god's design is for women to submit to their husbands in all areas of marriage.

Christians are against homosexuals, no? U.S. Christian Right Activists Pushing Death Penalty for Homosexuals in Poor African State
But, but, but, those aren't REAL Christians.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I honestly don't think life in the US would be any different than it is now.
England, where the official religion is Anglicanism and the Queens is bot the head of the state and the church, has some of the most impressive democratic traditions and is liberal enough to allow civil unions.
I don't think the US would be much different. The proble however is that in the US it would be much harder to find the specific Christian denomination to become a state religion. Christianity in the US is extremely fragmented.
England does not have an official religion, per se. They have a State Church, which is different.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Why would you compare Islam with Christian faith?

Looking for common ground, Islam respects and reveres Jesus.

So countries with Christian state religion like Costa Rica, Italy, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Greece, etc. look like Iran?!
No.

Christians don't have dietary law, Sabbath law, clothing law, etc.
Compare and contrast Judaism and Mormonism and you will find both have dietary laws, Sabbath law and clothing law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies