Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I totally agree 100% I believe the only way this stuff gets into a child's head is if someone is putting it there.
There's an invention that's been around since the 50's. Maybe you've heard of it. It's called the television. . Unless you plan on keeping a child locked in room with no contact from the outside world (tv, internet, etc..), then you cant expect a child not to pick up on certain things. There are greeting cards with children giving other children kisses on the cheek for christ sakes. Should a mother and father never kiss in front of their child out of fear a child might pick up on it and become curious?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Considering that my son has a longstanding crush on Glee's Blaine and regularly refers to him as "my boyfriend," I thought there was a fair chance that he would someday say, "I'm gay." But my kid is only 7 years old. I figured I had a few years before we crossed that threshold (if we ever did), probably when he was 14 or 15. I never thought it would happen this soon.
Amelia: When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'
So gay people can be aware of their sexuality at such a young age. Do you think that this boy is just going through a phase or he is truly gay?
Seven year olds also say they love cartoon characters, and love their stuffed animals, or want to have puppies, or be a bunny rabbit, do you worry they will come out and declare they are living in an alternate reality, or are insane?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I guess I'm lucky. I have two sons, ages 29 and 25, and despite their previous statements to me neither of them has grown up to be a ninja or a pirate.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Do you understand that there is a difference between saying there is nothing wrong with being gay and saying that you want everybody to be gay and nobody to reproduce?

Do you understand that no matter what we tell our children we won't change their sexual orientation?

To say that being gay is normal is like saying being left-handed is normal. It's not, only a small percentage of the population is left-handed.
There is a HUGE difference between being left handed and being gay! I cant believe you're even comparing the two as equal. . Does being left handed increase you're chances of contracting a deadly std or prevent reproduction? Is there a negative stigma placed on those who are left handed? Other than driving a stick shift (in which you can easily adjust), I cant see a negative to being left handed.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Do you understand that there is a difference between saying there is nothing wrong with being gay and saying that you want everybody to be gay and nobody to reproduce?

Do you understand that no matter what we tell our children we won't change their sexual orientation?

To say that being gay is normal is like saying being left-handed is normal. It's not, only a small percentage of the population is left-handed.
Being left handed is a personal attribute, it's not a lifestyle affecting issue. Schools are not having sit downs with children, interlaced with conversations filled with dramatic pauses telling children that "you might be left-handed and not even know it yet." There are no books titled, Billy has two left-handed parents.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
7 years old seems awfully young to have sexual thoughts.
Not really. We don't understand them as sexual at the time, and might be confused or not know what to make of them, but they are there.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
I guess I'm lucky. I have two sons, ages 29 and 25, and despite their previous statements to me neither of them has grown up to be a ninja or a pirate.
Perhaps they are just deeply in the ninja or pirate closets?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Well, I see them a lot, so if they're ninjas they're not very good at it.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Is there a negative stigma placed on those who are left handed?
There used to be one. We all see it now as being quite as laughable and pathetic as we will all see homophobia in 100 years.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
There is a HUGE difference between being left handed and being gay! I cant believe you're even comparing the two as equal. . Does being left handed increase you're chances of contracting a deadly std or prevent reproduction? Is there a negative stigma placed on those who are left handed? Other than driving a stick shift (in which you can easily adjust), I cant see a negative to being left handed.
There is no risk of contracting a std in a committed relationship. The only people at risk are those who do not practice safe sex, or sleep around, straight or gay.

Being homosexual does not prevent reproduction, my partner and I have 3 kids. It just means there are no oops babies, as we have to actively plan to have children.

There was a stigma attached to being left handed. They were thought to be possessed by demons, had their left hand restrained, and beaten for using their left hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies