Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,880 times

Advertisements

I'd like to clarify something, perhaps it is lost in the discussion. I have no problem with being gay, I like gay people, I work with several. Now that said, when any group of people starts waving their hands in my face telling me that I as a member of society am persecuting them and then goes on to describe all their petty little problems to me in order that I personally address them, my opinion/respect/empathy towards them rapidly begins to tank, and I start to become critical of their opinions and doubting of their worldviews, I don't consider that bigotry.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I'd like to clarify something, perhaps it is lost in the discussion. I have no problem with being gay, I like gay people, I work with several. Now that said, when any group of people starts waving their hands in my face telling me that I as a member of society am persecuting them and then goes on to describe all their petty little problems to me in order that I personally address them, my opinion/respect/empathy towards them rapidly begins to tank, and I start to become critical of their opinions and doubting of their worldviews, I don't consider that bigotry.
LOL... working with gay people doesn't preclude you from ignorance, nor does it mean you like them. Maybe you really do like them, I have no idea. But I have to laugh whenever somebody uses the old "I don't hate *insert demographic* - I work with a few, and have never given them a hard time!" Well, I hope even the fattest bigot in the country would be able to control themselves at work.

But whether you dislike them or not, you are clearly quite uninformed about homosexuality and gay people. And your scenario described is about an individual behavior, so I'm not sure how it relates to gay rights or the gay community in general. So yeah, that kind of is the definition of prejudice (judging an entire group based on the actions of one).

Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,670,726 times
Quote:
I didn't hear anyone ask you to do anything to "personally address" anyone's problems.

On the other hand, if you consider the desire for fair treatment under the law to be someone's "petty little problems" then that is undoubtedly a sign of your bigotry.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But whether you dislike them or not, you are clearly quite uninformed about homosexuality and gay people. And your scenario described is about an individual behavior, so I'm not sure how it relates to gay rights or the gay community in general. So yeah, that kind of is the definition of prejudice (judging an entire group based on the actions of one).
The gay community or rather 'gay activists' are the ones waving their arms in my face gizmo.
That's who I am critical of, not with individual gay people whom I see no differently than anyone else.

Really its 'activists' in general with whom I have a problem with.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
The gay community or rather 'gay activists' are the ones waving their arms in my face gizmo.
That's who I am critical of, not with individual gay people whom I see no differently than anyone else.

Really its 'activists' in general with whom I have a problem with.
Okay, but activists from all walks of life exist - and you have the freedom to ignore them, just as I do in many cases (it's more common here than in most regions). At the same time, they have every right to BE activists, especially when they really have been oppressed & shamed throughout history.

I am Jewish, and one of the reasons I'm so sympathetic to the gay rights issue is because we share that historical bond... they died right beside us in the Holocaust, and remaining silent only perpetuates these actions. As we say in the Jewish culture, "Never forget." And when they face constant hate and bigotry, as displayed on this very thread, do you expect them to pretend it's not happening?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,819,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Don't be so sure...I knew by the time I was that age that I was attracted to girls.
Same here!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,819,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The level of ignorance and bigotry on display in this thread is staggering, even for City-Data.
For a seven year old?

I'd lock him in his room for three months and ground him until he said he was not.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,491,159 times
Quote:
Now that said, when any group of people starts waving their hands in my face telling me that I as a member of society am persecuting them and then goes on to describe all their petty little problems to me in order that I personally address them, my opinion/respect/empathy towards them rapidly begins to tank, and I start to become critical of their opinions and doubting of their worldviews, I don't consider that bigotry.
No, if they did that they would simply be obnoxious homosexuals, or obnoxious (fill in the blank--whatever)s. But in reality, I don't know many people who actually do what you're describing.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,788,315 times
Quote:
On the contrary, if gayness is genetic than after generations of openly embraced gayness eventually you will go extinct. The gay community already sees normal humans as 'breeders' who are killing the planet with over population. There is absolutely no trend of gay people having children, nor any glimpses on the horizon of one.

If however it is learned/chosen behavior and not a born condition, well...we will know soon enough wont we.
Straight people create gays, not gay people. Gays have existed for all of history, and will continue to so long as evolution dictates it's beneficial for a population to have them.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,788,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
So is it safe to say that being gay is a birth defect? Surely a man is not suppose to be born with the dna that would cause him to be attracted to and prefer a man as a sexual partner over that of a woman and vice versa. The same as any other birth defect such as down syndrome. Its something that is not natural.
Do you people know the meaning of "natural"?

Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study - Telegraph

Homosexual behaviour is a nearly universal phenomenon in the animal kingdom; the phenomenon is not only widespread but part of a necessary biological adaptation for the survival of the species.

Sounds completely natural to me. You know what isn't natural? Homophobia and bigotry. That can only be taught.

Or by your logic, are you claiming the entire animal kingdom is unnatural and all suffer from birth defects on a planetary scale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies