Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Free in some aspects, like you're free to move from state to state with no issues. Can't do that everywhere. But not as free as other countries no.
Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
OK sorry, guess I should have stated in my OP that by freedom I guess I mean 'not slaves'?? Anyone not in that oh so lucky 1% are slaves to their stupid job, the bills, the mortgage, the loan, the car payment, etc. etc.
You are free to live in a cardboard box, if you want to do so.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Freedom to drink a beer as I am walking down the street. OMG! that is just asking for too much freedom No, we can't have that, that is just way too dangerous and immoral!!
Lots of cities allow this - it's not a Federal issue. You are *free* to move to a city that allows you to walk down the street with an alcoholic beverage, if you so desire.

Quote:
If a girl wants to have a sex life at age 15- she should have the right to do it legally- but the Nanny state needs to protect them after all, girls at that age are so pure, innocent and vulnerable They don't know anything about sex.

The age of consent in the USA is comparable to the age of consent in Muslim theocracies like Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Just because someone you don't like has similar laws is NOT a valid reason to change ours. I don't suppose you have any medical studies that show a 15 year old is just as mentally developed and responsible as a 17-18 year old?

We have age requirements for a lot of stuff. Should we allow 13 year olds to drive a car? Should we allow 15 year olds to vote?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
...To give you an idea, there are 24 countries in the world where students do better than our students in Math and Science. Yet, people here continue to tell themselves that we are #1 and do everything better than other countries, sorry but it is simply not true!

If you look at the Human Development Index, we are not #1, if you look at the ranking of the best countries to live in the world, we are not #1...

None of this has anything to do with the topic at hand, however.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
If we are free I'm afraid it won't be for much longer. Learn about a new law covering freedom of speech, as reported on Fox News.

New law makes it illegal to protest in Obama's presence
This means that, wherever Obama is at, you do not have a right to ask him anything you want to. His secret service can have you arrested, fined, and imprisoned for more than a YEAR if you ask him something he doesn’t like. Sound like he’s more like Hitler than Lincoln to you? WATCH AND BE AMAZED AT HIS LATEST ATTEMPT TO STAGE A TAKE OVER OF AMERICA...
Guess you’ve probably heard about this, but sending it on anyway. It’s probably the scariest thing this guy has done yet.
Are you aware of this new law, signed by “Obama†in early March 2012?
May the Lord have mercy on us!!!!

Obama Makes Free Speech A Felony - YouTube

Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
I was in Gouda, Netherlands this last July and I saw a couple teenage girls smoking weed outside of the train station. At first, it was a bit weird but when you think about it, what is the big deal?

These same girls in America would binge drinking because the United States is a very repressive society. I think of all groups, teenagers are the ones that suffer the most in this country.

It has been proven that American teenagers tend to binge drink more often, do more drugs, have a much higher incidence of teenage pregnancy and STD's than European teenagers.

I honestly don't think teenagers in this country have a lot of freedom!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Please explain.

World's freest nations: how to measure liberty. - Slate Magazine

Can you open any business you want, anywhere you want?

Nope.

Do you own your house and land? Nope, don't pay your rent (taxes) one year, and see how quickly they come and evict you.

I can go on.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
I was in Gouda, Netherlands this last July and I saw a couple teenage girls smoking weed outside of the train station. At first, it was a bit weird but when you think about it, what is the big deal?

These same girls in America would binge drinking because the United States is a very repressive society. I think of all groups, teenagers are the ones that suffer the most in this country.

It has been proven that American teenagers tend to binge drink more often, do more drugs, have a much higher incidence of teenage pregnancy and STD's than European teenagers.

I honestly don't think teenagers in this country have a lot of freedom!
If you honestly think that it's a good idea for teenagers drink alcohol then you need some severe counseling.

Teenagers in the US have LOADS of freedoms - too much / too many

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you honestly think that it's a good idea for teenagers drink alcohol then you need some severe counseling.

Teenagers in the US have LOADS of freedoms - too much / too many

What are some of the freedoms American teenagers have? You can't have a drink until you are 21. You can't go to a dance club, party or a bar until you are at least 18.

So what happens, most American girls become sexually active at age 15- most do it behind their parent's back and the parents just "hope" their daughters are not having sex but unfortunately, most of them ARE.

The way most American parents deal with these issues is just so HYPOCRITICAL!

A teenage girl can't sleep with her boyfriend in her bedroom- because obviously sex is "dirty" and "immoral"- now if they go to a motel room and do it there, it is OK, as long we we don't see it or hear about it.

No wonder, teenagers in this country are so messed up! This prudish, religion-influenced, repressive way of dealing with these things is a disaster!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Yes, no other country in the world rewards creativity and hard work. Germany, a country the size of the state of Montana exports more goods than the entire United States. Home of companies like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi and many more.
i never stated that no other country rewards hard work. i wrote that america did and that i liked living in america. (just as i am sure that germans like living in germany.)

the germans are a hard-working industrious bunch and are now being put in the unfortunate position to be "bailing" out countries which weren't so industrious. of course, in a recession germany actually is in no position to be bailing out all these countries but people like their illusions.

i would have to say that we cannot consider ourselves "free" as long as we have the federal reserve able to debase our currency easily and regularly. as one zero hedge commenter posted:

After the failure of Tarp, Son-of-Tarp, QE1, QE2, Son-of-QE2, QEi, multiple Sons-Of-QEi, Twist, Sons-Of-Twist, Zirp, and the idiotic stimulus that we HAD to pass, there is going to be another TARP-Stimulus direct handing of money to the banks to avoid another 'disaster'.

our work means very little if someone else can control our currency. they could make maintaining a decent standard of living very difficult, and almost impossible for savers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies