Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Udolipixie rips me a new a******* every chance she gets. I have no doubt she is a feminist. No reason to call her creditability into question. Just go read the things she writes. I would say she's pretty credible!
Even a feminist can slip up and say sexist things.

If she refers to women as "gals" and men as "men" in the same paragraph that's sexist. All she had to do was refer to men as "puppies", "little people", "less thans" to make it equal. Or refer to women as "women".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
People don't seem to understand that not all jobs are equal. Therein lies the key. Equal pay for equal work means two (or more) people with the exact same responsibilities must be paid the same wages.

Example: Two people are typists. Or switchboard operators. Jobs with no additional responsibility. One is male, the other is female. The male earns $12/hr; the female $10/hr. That's gender discrimation.

I remember one very large, very well known company I worked for where men could smoke at their desks while women had to go to a lounge or break room. That was in the late 60s through mid 70s.
Yes ~ we are well aware of what pay disparitygender discrimination IS. Same job - man makes more than the woman.

It's not rocket science.

"People" do understand that there are different jobs out there but thanks for the example and clearing all that up for us.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
People I implore you...

Quote:
fem·i·nism (fm-nzm)

n.
1. Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
2. The movement organized around this belief.
feminism - definition of feminism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Clearly, feminists do not seek to put men on lower ranks than women.

Perhaps those would-be "feminists" who do seem to attack men for being men are thinking that this will bring men down to the level of unfair treatment they believe women to be on. But a true feminist will only work to bring women up to the level of being judged by their qualities alone, never to bring men down to a level where they too are being judged unfairly. If their aim is for women to be judged only by their qualities (or lack thereof) in any given situation, they are not allowing for this to be the standard for men when they immediately seek to bring them down. Therefore, they are not feminists, because they are not for equality.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
That's repulsive. Evidently the manager had no class whatsoever. Had I been in the same situation, I would have asked if I could lick your boots clean for you!
Lol, that incident happened in the mid 80s when I was still in college, I was tending bar at a very exclusive private club.
That schlub thought he was a "Master of the Universe" ala Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities.
What an ahole, he couldnt even balance the cash sheet at the end of the shift, I had to do it.
Hmmmmm......that must be one of the examples of the superior male intellect HiFi was tying to sell upthread.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
How much more power do women want? Most women are on a power trip. Men cater to women hand and foot these days. I think feminism started out as a very good cause back in the 1950s, when women were treated badly. But we have clearly gone way beyond equality. Just look around and see how arrogant and materialistic the female population is today. Do you ladies honestly feel that the AVERAGE woman is discriminated against? I just have trouble feeling much sympathy for the average women these days, with their Prada bags and Gucci purses. It seems to me like most ladies have it pretty good these days.

I think some of the American feminists are actually mocking the women around the world who are truly suffering. Women in middle eastern countries. Domestic violence victims. There are many women in the world and right here in the US who have causes that are really worth fighting for. If the feminists were focused on helping THESE women, i think a lot more people would join their cause. Then again, i'm a man, so what do i know?
The "average" woman in this country still makes only $0.77 for every $1.00 a man makes for equivalent work. Considering that most families today have two earners, that disparity harms men as much as it harms women. And that's just one example.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The "average" woman in this country still makes only $0.77 for every $1.00 a man makes for equivalent work. Considering that most families today have two earners, that disparity harms men as much as it harms women. And that's just one example.

What hurts its the unqualified stupidity of relying on a single statistic. Crab fishermen make a ton of money. They also die a lot. Who want's jobs like this ? For some reason its the men. That is why well over 90% of work place fatalities are men.

Then of course for the usual high paying jobs women don't sign up. Didn't see many women in my field. They don't like it.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What hurts its the unqualified stupidity of relying on a single statistic. Crab fishermen make a ton of money. They also die a lot. Who want's jobs like this ? For some reason its the men. That is why well over 90% of work place fatalities are men.

Then of course for the usual high paying jobs women don't sign up. Didn't see many women in my field. They don't like it.
Plenty of women would like to get into higher paying fields like construction, carpentry and commercial fishing. The trouble is, most women are shut out of those fields. The few who do manage to get in are often subject to bullying and harassment by men who resent women intruding on what they consider male turf. Yet another thing feminists still have to complain about.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You walk up to every woman who has an opinion you differ with and ask them if they're a feminist?
By what definition?
What is a feminist activity group? Working? Being a parent, a student, a wife, single, lesbian, bi-, working for gender equality? What is this? Can men be feminists?

Gals? That's a great start...
Gee people are different. What a striking revelation.
The answer that some do and some don't is universal to every group that exists.

The fact that you decide what "feminists" think and do, and separate them from "women" or gals (also negative) says a lot.

Do you go into this much detail when you talk about men?
Right there is an important question.
No I don't walk up to every gal who has an opinion you differ with and ask them if they're a feminist..unsure where you got that is relevant.

Perhaps your lack reading comprehension as I stated they're feminists by their definition.

I don't decide what feminists think and do. I do make a reasonable conclusion that some believe in equality and some believe in scapegoating men.

By your logic it says a lot that I think some people are racists and some aren't or that I think some people are rich and some people aren't. Bit curious as to exactly what it is saying to you that I think some people are something and some people aren't.

I have done into this much detail when I talk about guys since guys and gals can be feminists. Though if you're under the impression that only gals can be feminists in the post you quoted me saying 'some men are racists and some aren't' is going into as much detail as me saying 'some feminists believe in equality and some believe in scapegoating men.'

Old 10-13-2012, 10:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You don't see "gals" as denigrating women but you refer to men as "men"... that's sexism.... you are NOT a feminist.
Different opinions perhaps it's sexists to you and others it's not to me. I interchangeably use guys, gals, men, and women and I place no lower connotations on either.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
No I don't walk up to every gal who has an opinion you differ with and ask them if they're a feminist..unsure where you got that is relevant.

Perhaps your lack reading comprehension as I stated they're feminists by their definition.

I don't decide what feminists think and do. I do make a reasonable conclusion that some believe in equality and some believe in scapegoating men.

By your logic it says a lot that I think some people are racists and some aren't or that I think some people are rich and some people aren't. Bit curious as to exactly what it is saying to you that I think some people are something and some people aren't.

I have done into this much detail when I talk about guys since guys and gals can be feminists. Though if you're under the impression that only gals can be feminists in the post you quoted me saying 'some men are racists and some aren't' is going into as much detail as me saying 'some feminists believe in equality and some believe in scapegoating men.'
So you're making it all up.
Fine, just glad you finally said so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies