Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Plenty of women would like to get into higher paying fields like construction, carpentry and commercial fishing. The trouble is, most women are shut out of those fields. The few who do manage to get in are often subject to bullying and harassment by men who resent women intruding on what they consider male turf. Yet another thing feminists still have to complain about.
I thought women were equal? If women are the same then harassment doesn't really exist in more quantity. If it happens more often then the whole equality theorem falls apart.

And I wonder where the men will find jobs who are displaced? Working with children?

Should male passengers be allowed to sit next to unaccompanied children? - CNN.com

Warning Signs of a Pedophile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One has wondered why it took you so long to show up to the dog whistle festival.
Maybe because I had other important things to do rather than just talk about feminists who have issues with normal people.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Based on logic.

No different than it's logic that some people are racist and some people aren't.

Again it seems you have an issue with the truth that some feminists believe in equality and some feminists believe in scapegoating men.
Your logic only.
You're making it up.
Pretty simple.

How do you know they are feminists?

Some people do everything.
Tell me, do you judge men as harshly and with no proof of things to support your politics?

I don't think so and I stand by my comments.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
To hell with that noise. "Equal pay" is the feminism of the upper-middle class women, the Seven Sisters women, the privileged ladies who lunch while the nanny or au pair looks after the kids.

Working women's feminism is fair access to health care, substantial family leave, and pre-K programs - those are the priorities of women in the real world.
I guess I'm not a woman in the real world then.
You funny.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:02 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I am perceived as a man sometimes, and as a woman other times. The fact that I can tell how people perceive me based on how they treat me is a testament to the fact that sexism still exists today. As long as there is a discernible difference between how men and women are treated, there will be a need for feminism.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your logic only.
You're making it up.
Pretty simple.

How do you know they are feminists?

Some people do everything.
Tell me, do you judge men as harshly and with no proof of things to support your politics?

I don't think so and I stand by my comments.
By reasonable logic.

It's no more making it up than to conclude some people are racist and some people aren't.

I already answered how I know they're feminists recall:
Quote:
I know they're feminists by their definition because they identify as feminists and participate in feminist activists groups. Perhaps they're not feminists by your definition or others however they are feminists by their definition.
I already answered on if I judge guys as harshly recall:
Quote:
I have done into this much detail when I talk about guys since guys and gals can be feminists. Though if you're under the impression that only gals can be feminists in the post you quoted me saying 'some men are racists and some aren't' is going into as much detail as me saying 'some feminists believe in equality and some believe in scapegoating men.'
Seems you also lack reading comprehension as well as have an issue that some feminists believe in equality and some feminists believe in scapegoating guys.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
(to chielgirl) By reasonable logic.

Seems you also lack reading comprehension as well as have an issue that some feminists believe in equality and some feminists believe in scapegoating guys.
Yes, just like some vegetarians eat and promote the consumption of beef. Because "by their definition" a vegetarian is someone who eats meat, I feel ya. I see your logic now. And I like this thread! Things get very entertaining when we disregard what the dictionary says about what a word means... Or should I say, "...what the toothbrush says"?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yes, just like some vegetarians eat and promote the consumption of beef. Because "by their definition" a vegetarian is someone who eats meat, I feel ya. I see your logic now. And I like this thread! Things get very entertaining when we disregard what the dictionary says about what a word means... Or should I say, "...what the toothbrush says"?
Not at all seems you're overreaching again as you did with the race analogy. Race is a scientific fact and vegetarianism like other diets have set guidelines while feminist is a label historically shown to be variable.

It's more like just like some weirdos eat and promote wearing khaki with plaid because by their definition a weirdo likes such clothing.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Not at all seems you're overreaching again as you did with the race analogy. Race is a scientific fact and vegetarianism like other diets have set guidelines while feminist is a label historically shown to be variable.
In history, feminism might've just meant (actually been defined as) the opposite of what it means today. Maybe (and if I'm overreaching on anything, it's on this and we both know it). But the thing is that now the dictionary definition of feminism is factual, and I've not found one dictionary to confirm that use of the word to mean the opposite is proper. We have different values, I suppose. But I think anyone who seriously wants to solve the problem concerning sexists and those they are sexist against would do well to burst the bubble of any woman (or man) who wants the label of "feminist" without actually resembling the current meaning of the word. They probably take a lot of pride in the label, which is exactly why many of them might insist on being known as a feminist without actually fitting the description.

Yes, it's a label. And therefore it should tell us something about the person right away, don't you think? Do you not agree that this is a huge part of the problem, misunderstanding as to what a feminist really is?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
In history, feminism might've just meant (actually been defined as) the opposite of what it means today. Maybe (and if I'm overreaching on anything, it's on this and we both know it). But the thing is that now the dictionary definition of feminism is factual, and I've not found one dictionary to confirm that use of the word to mean the opposite is proper. We have different values, I suppose. But I think anyone who seriously wants to solve the problem concerning sexists and those they are sexist against would do well to burst the bubble of any woman (or man) who wants the label of "feminist" without actually resembling the current meaning of the word. They probably take a lot of pride in the label, which is exactly why many of them might insist on being known as a feminist without actually fitting the description.

Yes, it's a label. And therefore it should tell us something about the person right away, don't you think? Do you not agree that this is a huge part of the problem, misunderstanding as to what a feminist really is?
Again the dictionary definition in my experience isn't consistent thus it's not a factual definition to me if it's variable.

I think the problem is a lack of consistent definition with set guidelines no different than many ideologies that often change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies