Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
LOL.. like I SAID YOU WANT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. Do you know how many mens blood was shed over the years ..millions.. that ultimately paved the way for you to have it better than women most anywhere else in the world do?
Wait a minute here, do you realize what you're saying?

Are you saying men have gone to war and shed blood for women?
NOT

How do you figure women want the best of both worlds? That statement is a bit confusing.
Women want equal rights under the law, how hard is that to figure out?

Are you saying women should still be grateful and lick mens boots? and kiss their hineys?
It's not going to happen again!

America, compared to other countries has come a long ways towards equality, but it has much further to go, knowing there are still men who in America who share your point of view.

Women's suffrage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
"Do feminists truly want equality or rather the positives aspects of men and women without the negatives?"

One of the problems is that your list of "positives and negatives" regarding "aspects of men and women" (whatever that means) is probably going to be as different as night and day from mine. Feminism is about giving women choices, not having our lives dictated by a set of gender based rules i.e. women do this but not that, men do this but not that. We should all---men and women alike---be able to set our goals based on our talents, interest levels and passions regardless of our sex. That frees and benefits women and men both.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 10-17-2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,188 times
Here is an issue, and maybe it should be its own topic:

Why do women get paid less?

Is it they don't ask for as much up front?

They can't quite do as much manual labor, and thus production in areas that require manual labor is less for women? (As a whole, clearly some men are weaker than some women and some women are stronger than some men, but on a whole men's bodies are more muscular and thus more able to do physical work).

How about that they typically are the ones taking care of the household and thus work less hours per week, which leads to less hours experience and thus lower pay?

On hours worked, if you were an employer who would you reward more the person that never works late or the one that always does?

How do you account for the 2 weeks - 8 months that a new mother misses from the workplace? Surely we can't assume they have the same tenure as someone who worked during that time period.

I am the one that keeps the house together in marriage, my wife is in a very male dominated career, she is brilliant and tough and a badass when it comes to her job.

I am a fulltime student that works for fun. I have missed 2 reviews at work because I took leave to take care of my wife and our expectant child, and now I make less than my coworkers that were hired at the same time I was. This is an example of how wage varries. Sure I have been with the employer the same amount of time, but I have not worked the same amount of hours, and I often pass on extra work due to family commitments.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
feminism is a joke.

it's all about women wanting to have it both ways.

ie: get the princess treatment, benefits, and equality all at the same time.

whatever suits them best, then blame the man - lol
Give me a break. For every women who wants the princess treatment you're going to find a man who wants a women he can give the princess treatment to thus keeping her at home like a Barbie doll he plays with on the weekends. On the other hand, for every strong women who wants to work outside the home you're going to find a man who appreciates the fact that he has someone to share the burden of taking care of the bills. The trick is finding the right man or woman who jives with your ideal relationship, and not spend time trying to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse if you have different ideas about the kind of mate you want to spend your life with. There is someone out there for everyone.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

They can't quite do as much manual labor, and thus production in areas that require manual labor is less for women? (As a whole, clearly some men are weaker than some women and some women are stronger than some men, but on a whole men's bodies are more muscular and thus more able to do physical work).

How about that they typically are the ones taking care of the household and thus work less hours per week, which leads to less hours experience and thus lower pay?

On hours worked, if you were an employer who would you reward more the person that never works late or the one that always does?

How do you account for the 2 weeks - 8 months that a new mother misses from the workplace? Surely we can't assume they have the same tenure as someone who worked during that time period.

I am the one that keeps the house together in marriage, my wife is in a very male dominated career, she is brilliant and tough and a badass when it comes to her job.

I am a fulltime student that works for fun. I have missed 2 reviews at work because I took leave to take care of my wife and our expectant child, and now I make less than my coworkers that were hired at the same time I was. This is an example of how wage varries. Sure I have been with the employer the same amount of time, but I have not worked the same amount of hours, and I often pass on extra work due to family commitments.
Women ARE paid less than men, I know this to be a FACT.
e.g, my spouse worked for a dollar store for 5 years. During her employment, she went from being a cashier/retail associate to 3rd. keyholder, and then to an assistant manager, only to find out that the 3rd. keyholder who was hired in place of her after gaining asst. manager position was paid MORE than her when she was the 3rd. keyholder, and her replacement was a male.

So, as a fact, retailers do discriminate against women, and retailers warn their employees not to discuss wages paid to them because they would face immediate termination if it were found out they have or did.

I also noticed that the establishment my spouse worked for that the new manager (a male) talked and acted in a condescending manner to his retail associates, most of which were women.

So, discrimination towards women, and other people is alive and doing well in America.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
feminism is a joke.

it's all about women wanting to have it both ways.

ie: get the princess treatment, benefits, and equality all at the same time.

whatever suits them best, then blame the man - lol
Straight up!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Women ARE paid less than men, I know this to be a FACT.
e.g, my spouse worked for a dollar store for 5 years. During her employment, she went from being a cashier/retail associate to 3rd. keyholder, and then to an assistant manager, only to find out that the 3rd. keyholder who was hired in place of her after gaining asst. manager position was paid MORE than her when she was the 3rd. keyholder, and her replacement was a male.

So, as a fact, retailers do discriminate against women, and retailers warn their employees not to discuss wages paid to them because they would face immediate termination if it were found out they have or did.

I also noticed that the establishment my spouse worked for that the new manager (a male) talked and acted in a condescending manner to his retail associates, most of which were women.

So, discrimination towards women, and other people is alive and doing well in America.

You know nothing as a fact.

People get paid what they are able to negotiate for, simple as that. An anecdote where someone gets more than someone else is proof of nothing other than one was better/more likable/luckier than the other.

Get a clue.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 PM

465 posts, read 507,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

Yes this is a factor, but also a factor is the fact that anyone that isn't a straight white male that becomes a corporate exec. the pay difference is even greater percentage wise. Also, transgender men that were born women all of a sudden make more money after they change their gender, and transgender women make less after they change their gender from male to female. There's variables that people can't just explain.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
The irony is the more power feminists get the more popular culture worships male dominance. Our society (younger women in particular) has a male dominance fetish. Look at the extremely popular "50 shades of grey" book or the vampire movies. Compare the nice sensitive young men of the 70s and 80s to the hypermasculine monsters we have today.

Another irony is that the feminist left is pro Islam. They are the first to defend Sharia Law. Maybe they are naive to just how male dominant Sharia is. No matter what the case it would be the biggest irony in the history of the world if feminists set women back to the stone age due to their support of liberal politicians who are pro-Sharia and pro-Muslim Brotherhood.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Back in the 60s I actually had an employer tell me that I was getting 25% less in pay than a male co-worker because he had a family to support and I didn't even though I had more education in the field and a higher skill set. Things are much better now but it still happens...only now they are sneaker about it when it occurs.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies