Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, food for thought indeed. Many people identify themselves as Christian because they were born and raised in a Christian country, but they will admit it is only a part of their culture, and not a personal relationship with God.

Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
I wonder then why stories like the OP are making real Christians proud when it really means so many fake Christians (ie: liars)are in their midst.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wonder then why stories like the OP are making real Christians proud when it really means so many fake Christians (ie: liars)are in their midst.
It is about new converts and the spread of Christianity. If there is such thing as fake new convert, then I have never ran into one, and I doubt I ever will. If people are born in a Christian country and say they are Christian, but admit that they never had a relationship with God, then they not really "fake" either, because they will admit their religious status is "cultural Christian". There has always been such people in Europe and US, and their numbers are actually falling due to the fact that many no longer bother to identify themselves as Christian, but atheist or agnostic. The positive thing here is the rise of new converts in other countries (and US), people who find God and accept Him as their personal lord and saviour. These people are true Christians. A fake Christian is someone who claims to have a relationship with God, but does not. This is more common in US than in Europe. In Europe atheism is so 'hip', that even true Christians seem to be ashamed of their faith.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
It is about new converts and the spread of Christianity. If there is such thing as fake new convert, then I have never ran into one, and I doubt I ever will. If people are born in a Christian country and say they are Christian, but admit that they never had a relationship with God, then they not really "fake" either, because they will admit their religious status is "cultural Christian". There has always been such people in Europe and US, and their numbers are actually falling due to the fact that many no longer bother to identify themselves as Christian, but atheist or agnostic. The positive thing here is the rise of new converts in other countries (and US), people who find God and accept Him as their personal lord and saviour. These people are true Christians. A fake Christian is someone who claims to have a relationship with God, but does not. This is more common in US than in Europe. In Europe atheism is so 'hip', that even true Christians seem to be ashamed of their faith.
Are you freaking kidding me? Almost every single person I have know who "converted" over the age of 14 later "deconverted". Spoken as a former member of many youth groups (and one who never converted in the first place) and mother of same.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Are you freaking kidding me? Almost every single person I have know who "converted" over the age of 14 later "deconverted". Spoken as a former member of many youth groups (and one who never converted in the first place) and mother of same.
No, I am not kidding. I do not have experiences of youth groups, so I do not know what kind of 'conversion' you are referring to. Perhaps some kind of emotional experience, mistaken for something else. I do not know. I am talking mostly about other countries, where millions are coming to Christ, where the conversion is real, and powerful experience.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
So what? Is this supposed to be good news? Some of the most developed countries in the World happen to be some of the least religious: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, etc.

Then, you have countries where religion is very important: Pakistan, Iran, India, Saudi Arabia, Somalia etc

Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
So what? Is this supposed to be good news? Some of the most developed countries in the World happen to be some of the least religious: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, etc.
All of the above countries reached their status as "developed country" while being Christian countries.

Quote:
Then, you have countries where religion is very important: Pakistan, Iran, India, Saudi Arabia, Somalia etc
None of those countries are Christian, and never were.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Because people like justifying their irrational beliefs as rational, by knowing others are doing it.

Also known as the herd mentality.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
How many people who label themselves Christian are actually real Christians though?

not very many, that's for sure.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM

800 posts, read 508,266 times
The OP is completely incorrect with nearly every statement, thankfully. Religion in general in the US is on a slight decline actually.

Quote:
The U.S. has the world's largest Christian population with over 247 million and is expected to grow additional hundred million more by next few decades.
The population of the USA is slightly over 300 million. So by the next "few decades" the Christian population of the US is going from 247 million to 347 million? We aren't even sure we'll be up to 347 million people total by then, it'll be close, but essentially every last one will be a Christian? Ha! Not happening!

Your figure of 247 million Christians may be "in the books" and I don't doubt that is the "official" number but fact is the number isn't accurate. I'm for sure one of those supposed 247 million but I've been a firm nonbeliever since I was a teenager over a decade ago and stopped letting mom drag me to church. My mother just never removed my name from her church membership lists(doesn't want her friends there thinking her son is an atheist or anything!). Church membership lists tend to be nearly as bloated as gym memberships. A lot of the official members are never there.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
If your numbers are correct, it would mean there were 300 million Christians back then, versus 2.2 Billion today. Looks good. Back then 95% of Christians lived in Europe, and N.America, but now it has spread. As for the western world today, they had their time and are turning their backs to God, and now God is calling the people elsewhere, and the Gospel is spreading like a wildfire.
Agreed. The Gospel has power and God is pouring out his Spirit on the nations that are hungry to hear it. America and Europe have hardened their hearts in their prosperity and excesses. Americans and Europeans have forgotten the God that gave them this abundance and now hate God with everything in their beings, flipping God the bird, right in His holy face, daring God to do anything about it. Its only a matter of time before God unleashes judgment on western civilization, which I believe has already begun and its come in the form of God letting our societies destroy themselves from within like the Romans did. I am sure I will be mocked, made fun of, called stupid and a neanderthal on this forum for having said this, but I stand by it.

If you want to look at it from a secular point of view, no empire has ever lasted in world history. They all have risen, peaked, stagnated, and then collapsed. America and Europe are showing clear signs of being in stagnation edging ever closer to collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies