Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

I'm Republican, and I had NO IDEA the government would give me money for them to go to college. You mean I've been paying tens of thousands of dollars and I didn't have to? By the way, I agree with her about the abortion issue.

Video: Crazed Obama supporter on abortion and taxes - interview - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Depends on what they qualify for, I was able to get Pell Grants and State Grants to help pay for the cost of college, but the bulk of my college tuition was paid by Federal Loans that I am currently paying back.

A lot depends on the age of the child and their dependence to you and your income levels because grants go to those that are in need of the money, not those that can afford the cost of tuition. Of course if you want to get onto the cost of tuition being too high for public universities, that I will definitely agree with.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm Republican, and I had NO IDEA the government would give me money for them to go to college. You mean I've been paying tens of thousands of dollars and I didn't have to? By the way, I agree with her about the abortion issue.
Did you not attend the financial aid meetings at your kids' high schools?
They have them every fall and spring.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did you not attend the financial aid meetings at your kids' high schools?
They have them every fall and spring.
Do you understand that I was being facetious? I know all about financial aid - I have one child who has a master's degree and two who are undergraduates. Someone should inform the Obama supporters. They apparently think the Republicans are getting something they aren't. And of course you know, the less money you make the more help you get, because you qualify for grants instead of loans. So if the lady is really not making much money, the truth is HER kids would get more help for college than mine would.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Here is a rather insightful short video on why we have such a problem with college tuition rising so drastically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipI8p-HNHZU

Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Do you understand that I was being facetious? I know all about financial aid - I have one child who has a master's degree and two who are undergraduates. Someone should inform the Obama supporters. They apparently think the Republicans are getting something they aren't. And of course you know, the less money you make the more help you get, because you qualify for grants instead of loans. So if the lady is really not making much money, the truth is HER kids would get more help for college than mine would.
Romney has been known to tell kids to borrow money from their parents for school. Unlike Mitt's father, most parents, regardless of their views, don't have the money to fund trust funds or lend to their kids for education.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Romney has been known to tell kids to borrow money from their parents for school. Unlike Mitt's father, most parents, regardless of their views, don't have the money to fund trust funds or lend to their kids for education.
And yet that lady (and many others) think that this means Republicans get money for school that they don't get and she thinks if she votes for Obama, her kids are going to get money from the government to go to college. It's not a Democrat or Republican thing; anyone who doesn't have the money to go to school has to borrow it and Obama isn't going to change that. But people like the lady in the video believe that he will.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
The money for your kid's college is going to illegal immigrants by giving them reduced tuition even though they have no right to even be here courtesy of the Democrats and other bleeding hearts.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
^^Every politician has supporters who are a little over the edge. So what? Why do all these videos that mock Obama like this show black people? Is it to give the impression that blacks are looking for a handout?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Error

Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
And yet that lady (and many others) think that this means Republicans get money for school that they don't get and she thinks if she votes for Obama, her kids are going to get money from the government to go to college. It's not a Democrat or Republican thing; anyone who doesn't have the money to go to school has to borrow it and Obama isn't going to change that. But people like the lady in the video believe that he will.

She probably also thinks Obama will pay her rent/mortgage....

Simply amazing people believe this kind of sh**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies