U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 PM

43,494 posts, read 18,676,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
No we should not cut funding for PBS. The mantra about borrowing money from China to pay for PBS is nonsense. It was just a political one-liner that Mitt Romney thought would make a good sound bite. The man is full of sound bites. I would like to know what he really stands for since first he said he was a 'severe conservative' and then in the debate he was sounding like a moderate. Now he's sounding almost liberal. What will he really do when he gets into office? It doesn't sound like he stands for anything. Like Joe Scarborough said, it sounds like he's just an opportunist.

Also, back to using our tax dollars to support Americans... We should increase taxes for the 1% before we take anything away from the middle class. We also should not get rid of the mortgage deduction--which would hurt a lot of middle class homeowners--just so that a few extremely rich people can get another tax cut. Most people in the 1% are not really Americans. They're globalists. That's why they're just fine with out-sourcing, lots of off-shore accounts, etc.
"The mantra about borrowing money from China to pay for PBS is nonsense.

It appears you lack some knowledge on the subject.

We are BORROWING $.42 of EVERY dollar we spend. It doesn't matter WHAT we spend on, we are borrowing almost half of each dollar spent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 6,354,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you mean the thread isn't about Romney? He's the one who proposed cutting PBS!
I responded to dgz post where he starts with the declaration that PBS budget should not be cut. Next, he jumped saying that borrowing money from China, etc is a total BS and Romney is X..Y..Z..
He didn't bother explaining why PBS funding should not be ended. I already know what he thinks of Romney and that the defense budget is very high etc, etc. Its a simple logical question in the debate, and since I despise propaganda I wanted to focus on PBS.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:09 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Surely you foreign aid cutters don`t believe that we`re the only country that gives foreign aid. Fact is,as a percentage of our nation`s GDP,we`re misers.
Rich Countries' Aid Generosity | 2010 Annual Letter from Bill Gates | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The fact that other countries give foreign aid is all the more reason why we should stop, and focus on solving our own financial problems.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:12 PM

9,892 posts, read 7,201,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I am all in favor of cutting aid to foreign countries that hate us and train their children to go to war against us. Ask Obama not to give Egypt the billions of dollars that are probably being deposited right now....can you?
I am all in favor of cutting off all aid to foreign countries, regardless of how they feel about us.
It is not for our government to give other countries "our" money. Period.
I don't even like it when they do it after natural disasters.
That is what charity fund raising drives are for.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:22 AM

30,418 posts, read 17,807,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
So the big mantra these days is we shouldn't borrow money from China to pay for PBS and other "social programs". PBS gets something like $130M a year. So wouldn't it stand to reason that cutting something like foreign aid which totals in the billions be on the chopping block too? I mean why stop and pick up a dime when you can pick up a $10 bill...Just makes sense, or doesn't it?
Yes. Cut both.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 AM

30,418 posts, read 17,807,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Surely you foreign aid cutters don`t believe that we`re the only country that gives foreign aid. Fact is,as a percentage of our nation`s GDP,we`re misers.
So, what's your point?

Old 06-23-2020, 03:53 PM

822 posts, read 256,873 times
how about no corporate welfare

Old 06-23-2020, 04:44 PM

10,547 posts, read 10,954,663 times
An 8 year old tread, too lazy to start a fresh discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies