Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,516,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Republicans aren't asking to cut PBS budget because its too much money, but because they believe the programs are furthering the left political agenda. In their mind, a public station supported by the government is supposed to present neutral views, when in reality they aren't.
Foreign aid belongs to a different category and is unrelated to PBS.
Unfortunately, that's not what he said. He didn't say he'd cut it b/c it's a left leaning outlet supported by tax payer dollars (which is false to me anyway, how on earth is Sesame Street and Masterpiece theater left leaning)? He (Romney) doesn't want to borrow money from China in order to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,516,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Foreign aid isn't just free money we are giving away. Usually, it is spent to pursue America's interests in the long-term.

For example: Give the enemy guns so we have someone to fight against.

Since wars are are for making money, it stands to reason foreign aid is good.
Bingo! I would rep you 1000 points if I could. Nail on the head. "Our Interests", exactly right, and it's not about spending money, or borrowing money, it's about how we spend that money and who determines what those "interests" are. Some believe our interests are here within the US (education, alternative fuels, etc.). Others believe national building, and propping up are in our best interest.

It seems to me that the GOP *and* democrats both have a deficit credit card and just feel comfortable throwing the balance on the national debt year after year. All in the name of national "interest".

Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,753,257 times
As the US continues to give foreign aid it should be on a "need" basis. There should also be accountability/oversight by the US govt as to where that money goes, or better yet, the US should control the money. Tell the US govt what you need and they will buy it for you. Why do we give money to countries that turn around and purchase arms from other countries? We give to countries that are corrupt and give to countries that have healthy economies.

Most of the money that goes to countries is "earmarked" for economic and development purposes of the country and we see how well countries have done (Egypt???). Take into account that many of these countries that receive US aid also receives aid from other countries.

The way the govt gives out money is like giving a child who tells you they are hungry $100 and tell them to go buy what they want and the kid comes back with $5 worth of candy and chips and pockets the $95. That's what Mubarak did and that is what most of those countries do.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,182,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
So the big mantra these days is we shouldn't borrow money from China to pay for PBS and other "social programs". PBS gets something like $130M a year. So wouldn't it stand to reason that cutting something like foreign aid which totals in the billions be on the chopping block too? I mean why stop and pick up a dime when you can pick up a $10 bill...Just makes sense, or doesn't it?
We should cut PBS and all unnecessary foreign aid. When this country is in deep of debt as it is we shouldn't be spending unnecessarily. We should also stop funding baby killing in foreign nations but liberals will have a fit about that.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I didn't say that. Please, this is not a flame war.

I asked, a simple question. Why not mention the BIG stuff. Don't tell me about clipping coupons to save money, talk about where the big dollars are going. $50Billion is a LOT of money so if he does put it on the table, then he would be consistent.
I agree. This PBS stuff reminds me of some of the articles in women's magazines, where they tell you to stop going to Starbuck's, carry your lunch, buy your clothes at Target, etc, and don't even talk about the big stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Sorry, Rick Perry said all countries in his administration would start with ZERO and have to justify why they deserve American money.

Perry: My foreign aid budget starts at zero - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Big whoop! Rick Perry (thankfully) is not the candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
No we should not cut funding for PBS. The mantra about borrowing money from China to pay for PBS is nonsense. It was just a political one-liner that Mitt Romney thought would make a good sound bite. The man is full of sound bites. I would like to know what he really stands for since first he said he was a 'severe conservative' and then in the debate he was sounding like a moderate. Now he's sounding almost liberal. What will he really do when he gets into office? It doesn't sound like he stands for anything. Like Joe Scarborough said, it sounds like he's just an opportunist.

Also, back to using our tax dollars to support Americans... We should increase taxes for the 1% before we take anything away from the middle class. We also should not get rid of the mortgage deduction--which would hurt a lot of middle class homeowners--just so that a few extremely rich people can get another tax cut. Most people in the 1% are not really Americans. They're globalists. That's why they're just fine with out-sourcing, lots of off-shore accounts, etc.
Exactly! I don't think he ever thought his Big Bird comment would ignite such a fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I am not republican but you didn't answer/explain the above statement and preferred instead to attack Romney (who is not the subject of this thread). Why do you think the government should continue subsidizing PBS?
What do you mean the thread isn't about Romney? He's the one who proposed cutting PBS!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,387,270 times
Absolutely EVERYTHING needs to be on the cutting board. Not that things like Medicare/Medicaid or Social Security need cutting, but they definitely need restructuring in order to make it more efficient and stop the waste. The military budget does need to get cut, but we can do that without hurting our readiness. Closing bases overseas (and operating within NATO for continued access) will save us hundreds of billions. Just yesterday, there was an article about how tanks are continually being produced even though we have thousands of them just sitting at an Army depot just north of Reno. Just wasteful.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM

12,228 posts, read 6,393,771 times
Surely you foreign aid cutters don`t believe that we`re the only country that gives foreign aid. Fact is,as a percentage of our nation`s GDP,we`re misers.
Rich Countries' Aid Generosity | 2010 Annual Letter from Bill Gates | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
If Romney were actually serious, he would be able to offer up a specific beyond PBS. But he's not, which is apparent to anyone with a few functioning neurons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Romney wants to give more to the real welfare queens of The Miitary Industrial Complex.
Yep. And foreign aid is just another way of doing it. We give money to countries and they promise to spend x% of it on buying weapons from the US.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM

77,709 posts, read 59,844,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Romney wants to give more to the real welfare queens of The Miitary Industrial Complex.

Meet the Welfare Queens of the 1%: The Moochers Mitt Missed Work for the Pentagon

Romney is not a Neocon and in fact he actually stands for nothing, but his puppeteers are Neocons thru and thru..
You'll get no argument from me that I expect Bush\Cheney style foreign policy to continue for yet another 4 years regardless of whom is elected.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM

77,709 posts, read 59,844,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Absolutely EVERYTHING needs to be on the cutting board. Not that things like Medicare/Medicaid or Social Security need cutting, but they definitely need restructuring in order to make it more efficient and stop the waste. The military budget does need to get cut, but we can do that without hurting our readiness. Closing bases overseas (and operating within NATO for continued access) will save us hundreds of billions. Just yesterday, there was an article about how tanks are continually being produced even though we have thousands of them just sitting at an Army depot just north of Reno. Just wasteful.
Agreed. We need to take a hard look at ALL spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies