Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 AM

20,421 posts, read 12,338,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
The issue is not if adhd is real. It is! My son has it, well he has asbergers which starts out being dianosed as adhd. The question is drug or not to drug. I am here to tell you that is not the only 2 options. The brain is misfiring in these kids and the drugs slow that down but finding the right vitamins that the brain is missing does the same thing but with less side effects. The problem with drugs is the snow ball effect. You start off with one and keep adding for the side effects of the other drug(s). We used to have our son on riddlin and then adderal. He couldnt sleep at night when the drugs wore off so they gave him something to help him sleep, then he would have issues with anger that he didnt have before so they gave him something for that. Etc etc. we stopped it all! 2 years ago! He is a much happerier kid and his grades have gone up. We took him out of the best public school system in the state and into a private school and added meliton for at night and a strict vitamin protical. We are very happy.
as someone who has dealt with this and taken the drugs as a kid in school ( and lived with the side effects before the added regimens to deal with those) I applaud your approach!

ADHD/ADD are real and difficult. KUDOS to every parent who tries every approach to deal with the issues sans hardcore drugs... so long as they are willing to take every step, including hard core drugs if it is necessary.

I say your child is lucky to have you. Thanks for your post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 AM

20,421 posts, read 12,338,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I was able to focus. I was able to finish tasks. My grades went to straight A's. People no longer avoided me.

My quality of life did nothing but get better and better. Plus, I no longer required spankings 1-2-3 times a week or more. I was able to focus on things, all my teachers noticed a difference within the first 2 days, I went from being the bad kid who was always in trouble and everyone's parent told their kids to avoid because I was a bad influence, to the straight A student, that people wanted to associate with.
Boy we lived parallel lives.

On a sadder note, I had a friend who was much like me. Bright kid but serious bahavior issues and as smart as he was, still had terrible grades.

My mom and his mom were friends. My mom told her about diagnosis and suggested she contact the team I went to.

The lady didnt do anything. My friend went from bad to worse. I graduated. He didnt. I joined the military out of highschool. he went to jail. I went to college he got out of jail got a job, got on drugs. went back to jail.

we are both in our 40s now. Last I heard he was back in jail... I think for the 5th time. sad deal. I guess I picked the right parents.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Boy we lived parallel lives.

On a sadder note, I had a friend who was much like me. Bright kid but serious bahavior issues and as smart as he was, still had terrible grades.

My mom and his mom were friends. My mom told her about diagnosis and suggested she contact the team I went to.

The lady didnt do anything. My friend went from bad to worse. I graduated. He didnt. I joined the military out of highschool. he went to jail. I went to college he got out of jail got a job, got on drugs. went back to jail.

we are both in our 40s now. Last I heard he was back in jail... I think for the 5th time. sad deal. I guess I picked the right parents.
You are right, that really is sad. People cannot realize just how much a sense of self can make or break you. Luckily, our parents took steps to help us. Unless you lived it, or have seen it with your own eyes, it's hard to make the connection what kind a difference one little pill can make.

I can actually remember the feeling I got when I received my first compliment. I had a teacher whom I dearly wanted to impress. I enjoyed her class, she was really nice, and I enjoyed math and sciences anyways. I seemed to always get her mad, (because I would interrupt, inappropriate behavior, etc etc).

She was the first teacher that noticed a difference, and the second day of medication, at the end of the class, she called me to her desk, and I had that sinking feeling again, that I had done something that displeased her. She complimented me, not knowing that I was on any medication or seeing a doctor daily. I can tell you, I was on the top of the world! I couldn't wait to get home , and tell my mom. It was many years later, that I found out, my mom already knew, that the teacher had called her later that day, interested in what was happening, because I had gone from the class distraction to a model student in 2 days. My mom patiently listened to me going on and on about how I got a compliment, and how I was doing good in all my classes, and how I didn't have to be sent to the principals's office for 2 whole days. (Of course I didn't know it was medication, all I knw at that age was I was taking new vitamins every morning.)

Self worth, is so important. If you don't have a sense of self worth, then drugs/jail/alcohol, is where you end up in many cases.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,124,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
My 10 year old has ADHD and ODD, he is on a perscription, 1 pill when he is getting ready for school and 2 before he goes to bed. It is a low dose and non addictive and he is not zombified. Generally I do not like giving my children meds to calm them down but we had no choice with him.
This is true. My newphew is as well and parents hate to do it, but when you dealt with children who suffer from this......it makes sense. To another they may see a kid just being a kid, but to those who know better it can be really bad when not controlled or medicated.

My nephew likes to run and jump off things alot. Broke his neck at 7 years old jumping off the sofa and trying to do a a flip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies