Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM

635 posts, read 539,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
My capital gains rate if I hold more than a year is 15%. That money was already taxed at approx. 30 percent initially. That is if you hold more than a year. Short term gains are taxed at ordinary income. Combine that up that is 50% tax give or take a few points either way. Tax tax tax, take take take, redistribute redistribute. Thats all they know.
One-dollar salary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times
1. We earn income.
2. We then pay tax on that income.
3. We then either consume our after-tax income, or we save and invest it.
4. If we consume our after-tax income, the government largely leaves us alone.
5. If we save and invest our after-tax income, the government penalizes us with as many as four layers of taxation.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
I have no problem with capital gains (and inheritance) taxes being lower than other taxes, because they ARE both taxed initially. However, I am not opposed to regulations on reinvesting those capital gains withing a reasonable time to avoid paying taxes on them.
Both viable, arguable opinions IMO.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
1. We earn income.
2. We then pay tax on that income.
3. We then either consume our after-tax income, or we save and invest it.
4. If we consume our after-tax income, the government largely leaves us alone.
5. If we save and invest our after-tax income, the government penalizes us with as many as four layers of taxation.
Thanks for addressing my questions.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
My capital gains rate if I hold more than a year is 15%. That money was already taxed at approx. 30 percent initially. That is if you hold more than a year. Short term gains are taxed at ordinary income. Combine that up that is 50% tax give or take a few points either way. Tax tax tax, take take take, redistribute redistribute. Thats all they know.
What are you talking about...Unless capital gains tax works different in the US you are only taxed on the increased value of whatever property you own...For example if I bought a house in 2000 for $200,000 rented it, then sold it in 2012 for $500,000 I would have to pay capital gains tax on the difference ($300,000) Tax has never been paid on that $300,000.

Perhaps the rules are different in the US, but had that house been my principle residence, no capital gains tax would apply on the gain in value, however if I get income from it the tax would apply, but to only half of the increased value of the home.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
If I earn my money legally and choose to invest it wisely, what claim does the government have on the returns from my investment? Should my money be confiscated and redistributed because others don't have the foresight or the discipline to earn investment income?

Let's put it another way. Say I invest $10,000 and and at the end of two years I only have $8500. Is the government going to reimburse me for my loss? If not, then what right do they have to demand a chunk of my gains?
Here is is called a capital loss and is deducted from the income you made the year the loss occurred. I would assume that the same applies to the US tax rules, does it not?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Don't you write off your loss?

I have no problem with capital gains (and inheritance) taxes being lower than other taxes, because they ARE both taxed initially. However, I am not opposed to regulations on reinvesting those capital gains withing a reasonable time to avoid paying taxes on them.
How are capital gains taxed initially?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM

465 posts, read 507,799 times
you only are taxed on the part you've not been taxed on and if you lose money you can write it off, i'm mostly a libertarian and don't like capital gains taxes but i do get that it's not retaxed, by that logic state sales tax is retaxing so is state income tax, but those aren't either and no one claims they are...i know one person said if you spend the money they leave you alone not in most states, sales tax and tagging your car and such are consumption taxes, all states have gas taxes, so if you spend you get taxed too...there's a lot of those taxes i don't like but i argue that, not that they are retaxation.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
k:

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If I understand you right, this is not true. What money was initially taxed at 30%? The money you invested? O.K.

So you invest $10,000. At the end of two years you have $11,500. Only the $1500 is taxed. Why shouldn't it be taxed as income as it is income?
teabaggers don't understand math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies