Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
teabaggers don't understand math.
People afraid of boogymen shouldn't throw stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
teabaggers don't understand math.
Obviously!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
you only are taxed on the part you've not been taxed on and if you lose money you can write it off, i'm mostly a libertarian and don't like capital gains taxes but i do get that it's not retaxed, by that logic state sales tax is retaxing so is state income tax, but those aren't either and no one claims they are...i know one person said if you spend the money they leave you alone not in most states, sales tax and tagging your car and such are consumption taxes, all states have gas taxes, so if you spend you get taxed too...there's a lot of those taxes i don't like but i argue that, not that they are retaxation.

Exactly.

Enough with this BS mantra right wingers. It's not "already taxed". You're only taxed on the gain.

the apparent goal is to make sure that day traders and guys on Wall St pay no tax, even though most of the GOP base don't make their income from capital gains.

They've somehow been sold the bill of goods that what's good for Wall St. is good for Main st...either that or they hate liberals so much that they'll shoot themselves in the foot to do whatever they think runs counter to liberal policies.

Either way, retired angry white guys in Indiana making $30K's from social security and a part time job at Wal Mart who carry water for Wall St. is a phenomenom that I will never understand...I can't see it other then being so brain washed by Limbaugh et al that they don't even realize their own best interests.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If I understand you right, this is not true. What money was initially taxed at 30%? The money you invested? O.K.

So you invest $10,000. At the end of two years you have $11,500. Only the $1500 is taxed. Why shouldn't it be taxed as income as it is income?
With the 10,000 invested 2,000 was made but corporate income tax took away 500 so you only get 1500, why should it be taxed again?

A corporation is where people pool their money together so they can grow it faster. Corporate income tax hits ALL of their profit...THAT is their income tax....this is not rocket science.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
I find it shocking that those who claim to be the only political persuasion that understands money can't figure out capital gains taxes

Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
If I earn my money legally and choose to invest it wisely, what claim does the government have on the returns from my investment? Should my money be confiscated and redistributed because others don't have the foresight or the discipline to earn investment income?

Let's put it another way. Say I invest $10,000 and and at the end of two years I only have $8500. Is the government going to reimburse me for my loss? If not, then what right do they have to demand a chunk of my gains?
You are twisting the facts. No one is confiscating your money and redistributing it. We independents/Liberals and Democrats also pay taxes and the money is just that a TAX. I see this Republican tactic daily. They are confiscating my money! Standard Republican rhetoric to confuse the low information voter. These are our tax laws. Catch a clue!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
My capital gains rate if I hold more than a year is 15%. That money was already taxed at approx. 30 percent initially. That is if you hold more than a year. Short term gains are taxed at ordinary income. Combine that up that is 50% tax give or take a few points either way. Tax tax tax, take take take, redistribute redistribute. Thats all they know.
Uh, no. Your capital gains have not been taxed, only the initial investment.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Exactly.

Enough with this BS mantra right wingers. It's not "already taxed". You're only taxed on the gain.

the apparent goal is to make sure that day traders and guys on Wall St pay no tax, even though most of the GOP base don't make their income from capital gains.

They've somehow been sold the bill of goods that what's good for Wall St. is good for Main st...either that or they hate liberals so much that they'll shoot themselves in the foot to do whatever they think runs counter to liberal policies.

Either way, retired angry white guys in Indiana making $30K's from social security and a part time job at Wal Mart who carry water for Wall St. is a phenomenom that I will never understand...I can't see it other then being so brain washed by Limbaugh et al that they don't even realize their own best interests.
Never mind that every action from the Fed, Geithner and Bernanke the last 4 years has been to see that Wall Street was able to continue on with record profits.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
With the 10,000 invested 2,000 was made but corporate income tax took away 500 so you only get 1500, why should it be taxed again?

A corporation is where people pool their money together so they can grow it faster. Corporate income tax hits ALL of their profit...THAT is their income tax....this is not rocket science.
1. That is not the original argument
2. If you want to make a different argument you need to do a better job of it.
3. You made $1500 on your investment. The $1500 was taxed. Why should it not be taxed as income as it is income?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Bill the contractor makes 200K, employs 20 people from the blood sweat and tears of his HARD HARD work probably pays about 17% net tax. Bill works 70 hours a week.
Rich the hedge fund manager makes 200 MILLION dollars in a hedge fund. He also works 70 hours a week. His net rate is 15%.
That is just messed up.

We need to raise cap gains rates UNLESS they are venture capitalist gains. If ***strictly*** defined as true venture capitalism the rate should be zero. By venture capitalism I mean some rich guy taking his money and creating a company IN THE US EMPLOYING US CITIZENS. At that point anything he gains with that much risk is gratis and with gratitude.

We should eliminate inheritence taxes and replace with an IRON CLAD requirement for all gains being recognized at the death of the last spouse and no chaining spouses, incorporating yourself etc. Everything gets taxed ONCE.

If someone renounces citizenship AFTER becoming ultra rich (that piece of poop facebook guy from Brazil comes to mind) we need a stiff exit tax and a stiff tax for every night that person wishes to spend in this country. If you really want to leave, REALLY LEAVE... FOREVER. Skip out on the tax... gloves off smackdown, you arent a citizen any more, I dont give a rats behind what happens to you. Oh and we send a bill for the smackdown on top of the tax we extract + fees +interest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies