Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do state universities' race-conscious admission policies violate the rights of white applicants?
Yes 28 75.68%
No 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erombola View Post
If you look up a list of successful blacks, black inventors, and black entrepreneurs you would see that most black accomplishmets were in 1800s to the early 1900s.

What does it say about Affirmative Action and Black America that blacks who did not even go to school contributed more to society than today's blacks who do go to school?

AA don't work. You can not redistribute brains.
And on that note, I think you should cover up, your white robe is showing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
No, actually since it is a public institution, I feel that the racially based admission process should be included since these state schools should serve the entire public of their respective states.

In regards to private institutions, I feel they should be free to create their own admission policies.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
With some private universities there are many things that go into choosing and incoming freshman class so much will depend on the school itself and what it is looking for. There are programs in place at many public school that guarantee admittance to the top % of high school students in the state/area, or any student with a GPA over a set number. Beyond that I'm thinking it's probably best to have a tier system of some sort, with those falling under the "guarenteed top spots" GPA/SAT/ACT wise falling into the next qualifying tier based on their stats. Note this is probably a range not simply a "next high test number" category but should generally be of a similar academic level. At that point the school can add other criteria to get their target mix whether that be gender, race, socio-economics, skill, talent, area of study, etc. Yes, things may seem unfair to those who weren't selected if someone outscored another on their SAT by a couple points or had 4/10th of a GPA higher than someone selected, but there has never been a problem with other things being factored in. Sometimes a school just needs more saxophone players, kwim? If this is the only time race is used I have no problem. I only have a problem with any secondary criteria being met by pulling from outside the academic levels set by the school for everyone.

I'd like to see remedial classes eliminated from 4 year colleges and universities.

Last edited by Ceece; 10-11-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yes, these admission polices do violate the right of stupid white people to get admitted before geniuses of any other race. They also violate the right of white parents to brag about getting their dumb ass kid into Segregated U.
Just outta curiosity, what year do you live in? Because the rest of us live in 2012. Playing the race card all day, every day is pathetic.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No, actually since it is a public institution, I feel that the racially based admission process should be included since these state schools should serve the entire public of their respective states.

In regards to private institutions, I feel they should be free to create their own admission policies.
You are openly advocating the practice of racist policies. How are you any different than that kooky Klan guy that was posting?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,346 times
Yes.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 PM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The usual pre Affirmative Action days was, 'Why educated Blacks (or the minority or ethnicity of your choice) because they are only going to labor in the steel, textile, rubber mill or, now, Wall Mart?" They don’t need no education but my boy does because he is going to be a manager. Yeah, right.

IMHO - We educate the people able and willing to learn regardless of race, ethnicity or financial ability. The rest can sit around and watch Faux Noise and pity themselves.
Does that mean that every public university would have to take anyone as long as they could fill out the application?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:27 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Just outta curiosity, what year do you live in? Because the rest of us live in 2012. Playing the race card all day, every day is pathetic.
Disgusting, isn't it? You nailed it!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I think every application should remove the race question. That'd fix all this.

Ronnie
I agree. Eliminate the race question altogether. The selection should be made on merit alone. Even if that results in a heavier admittance of one race over another. Then, if the concern is that one race is underrepresented, then lets work on increasing their qualifications.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's not true. The top 10% of each high school class statewide gets in automatically. The remaining slots go to those below the top 10%. She was in the 11th percentile.

I don't know if race was the factor that kept her out. Maybe she had no activities or many suspensions, or some other non-racial factors came into play. To say she wasn't academically qualified is unfair.
LOL! I went looking for one thing, didn't find it, but found a response to something else (if that makes sense.)

Abigail Fisher was not academically qualified.

Justices Return To Affirmative Action In Higher Ed : NPR

" "Even if Abigail Fisher had received a perfect Personal Achievement Index score she would not have been admitted ... because her Academic Index was simply not high enough," says Gregory Garre, lawyer for the University."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies