Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Someone knows their history although Duse is not pictured below. Just showing how free Africans have been here long before the CRA

Ligue Universelle pour la Défense de la Race Noire (1924) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Thanks.

Forgot to mention but Haiti might have been the 2nd nation in the Americas after the U.S. to declare its independence from colonialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's possible to become successful and still uphold black culture and heritage. One can still "keep it real" while getting a real education. Let's stop spreading the lies of how the two must contradict each other.
This is definitely true, and with anybody. It seems like Southerners and rural/small-town types seem to do a better job of keeping it real though and now allowing a college education to completely transform them as a person and abandoning and distancing themselves from their roots as much as possible.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
LOL you people are so ignorant of your history it really is sad. Obama's dad went to the University of Hawaii 3 years before the CRA passed. So African Americans had something to do with that? Kwame Nkrumah studied at Lincoln University in the 40s. I mean I hate to break it you but at the end of the day even during segregation folks are more into how you carried yourself and what you bring to the table. I think this is being lost among many African Americans who seem to think the world is against them merely for being Black.

Hmmm, he went to Lincoln instead of, lets say Alabama or any of the many white Universities in the south...interesting. I guess you don't realize that Lincoln is a HBCU? Which were created by whom and why? Please get on the bus, because you really need to be schooled. Oh btw, University did not have the same racial issues that the mainland had and another thing Hawaii was soveriegn.

My dad was admitted to a school, which he never completed BTW because of his talents. Blacks were going to schools long before him so I'm not seeing the "blacks died for your dad" analogy. It's tenous at best. Lots of people died for a lot of reasons that go into shaping our world today, African Americans included.

Like I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure that they was not going to Ole Miss or Clemson or Alabama it was proably a HBCU which was the only schools that were accepting blacks w/o probelms at that time

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Every culture produces a group of talented people however in judging a culture you have to take into account the masses.

So let's look at today for example. Black students are doing so horribly in schools that states are now setting up guidelines of achievement that are about half of what they expect from White and Asian students. This to me is not a signal of a great culture but one staring at the abyss. How are these kids going to compete in a knowledge based economy? What are they going to do when SCOTUS strikes down Affrimative Action? Complain and whine go on the dole? What happens when the dole is reduced? Back to the fields?

There have been struggles as well as failures, but since you are ignorant of both, you cannot possibly understand the complete history of this country. I guess that you never considered the racism through 200 years would have some negative drawbacks. As many as there are blacks failing there are the same number that are prevailing. If you feel that the blacks in this country are such a failure why have'nt you gone back to your own country and help "uplift" them? I'm sure that they all are not doing as well as you let us all to believe

I mean I know my views are unpopular but I'm a realist. The African American community is staring at some dark days ahead if it doesn't address these social ills quickly.

We as a people have strared at everything from slavery to Jim Crow to disenfranchisment today what makes you think that we won't overcome this? Blacks in America are survivalist, why do you think they used blacks as slaves in the first place? The indentured servants could not handle it, the Native Americans would not tolerate it and the Chinese, well they came a little later on

Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I don't dispute this but you do realize that even during this period the African American community had the hallmarks of what a normal functioning community should have. Stable families, Black illegitimacy rates were around 10-20% from slavery through to the 60s. Blacks actually owned a tremendous amount of land during this time and there was a significant educated middle class that was dependent more on private enterprise than probably today.

This was because we had to depend on each other, this was pre-segregation

Also more importantly there wasn't this negative attitude towards education back then as we see today from many Blacks. Speaking well and being presentable weren't "white" things. They were things respectable people did. Now Black kids play dumb to be cool. This to me is very sad.

To much after school specials and hearsay from a few. I want to let you in on a secret, whites have being doing this as well, they even made a movie about it. It is called Revenge of the Nerds, where intellectually challenged jocks torment smart students. So tell me what is the difference besides one being black and the other white? Yes there are some kids that pick on others because of whatever reason but that happens in every other group as well.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullo View Post
The funny thing is that these ideas of being black on the outside and white on the inside almost always come out the the mouths of democrats and liberals.

Actually it comes from politicians that do anything to appease their white couterparts for personal gain

If you are a darker skinned fellow in this country you had better be a democrat otherwise people will think you're acting white and call you a sell out, and and an idiot, uncle tom, or just uneducated about whats happening.

The difference between todays Democrats and Republicans is money. Republicans tend to lean towards big business and as of recently religious controls of personal freedoms. Democrats also lean to businesses that tend to deal with society ills and freedom from religios controls. Republicans have basically said that they do not like blacks and others that do not believe what they believe and make not real efforts to gain that trust. Democrats, being that there is not other viable option take the black and poor vote for granted. Republicans will cut your head off quickly but Democrats will cut you slowly and let you bleed to death.

That just tells me that dark folks are not aloud to think freely in this country still. The social consequences of doing so results in being thought of as being white.

But what exactly is being" white"? Is it acting act clarence thomas and allan keyes who are basically puppets and are being used by their masters? Or is it Bill Cosby who dare speaks the truth about the black societal situation in this country while donating millions to HBCUs? Is it Ms Winfrey who went from broke to billionaire without rich parents and a Harvard education? Is it edward A who is a second generation immigrant that looks down on the accomplishment of blacks in this country? Is it me, who looks at the whole thing as a way the divide and conquer an already divided society with no real answers? It is all just a matter of whose glasses that you are looking through.

Remember that the Republican party was born and started specifically to FREE the slaves. The Democrats started the KKK specifically the discourage black voters from voting Republican and to kill white Republicans that were fighting to free slaves.

That was then, this is now. Have you failed to mention why the republicans decided to go with the "southern strategy" not once with tricky dicky but again with reagan? Why did the southern states become republicans? Could it have been because of the Civil Rights Act?

Im not sure when Democrats got to be so lucky to receive the votes of minorities in this country being that historically they are the most racist organization this country has ever seen.

Simply because the republicans want it that way. It is hard for any average person of color to support a party that during the primaries degraded black people so badly in the open and without remorse.

Yours truly,
A man of color/uncle tom/house *****/uneducated/must be confused and still not free to think

I would not consider you to be and Uncle Tom since that is a misnomer. I might say that you are slightly misinformed since you are championing the very same people that would cut your head off in a heart beat or parade you around for their own purposes. If you were really free to think you would not support either party and would be more than willing to help form a real party that cares about blacks as well as other Americans

Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Dem calls out Dem party for being intolerant

The Democratic Party has lost its mind and its way | Fox News
The fact that you are quoting faux news (which by their own admission) is not real news to prove a point is nothing more then amazing

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's possible to become successful and still uphold black culture and heritage. One can still "keep it real" while getting a real education. Let's stop spreading the lies of how the two must contradict each other.

I have yet to hear the blacks that have managed to be educated but yet still can navigate through the "hood" and not become a victim of it. A truely sucessful and knowledgeable blackman is aware of who he is and where he came from. He can obtain success and help those who WANT to be helped and give encouragment to those who don't.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There's also been a general rise of anti-intellectualism in the general culture, and there is a growing divide between those who encourage it and those who don't. This has always been there, but among the cultural descendents of the 'rednecks' it had found firm ground. There is also a rejection of scientific thought over theology. The method is not by rejecting education, but by taking it over to reflect only what fits the mantra. Since nerds have pretty much claimed the term, its pretty much been disarmed, but the bullying problem on schools has continued to grow, and its not the 'normal' ones who get bullied.

Could this be part of a general rise of less tolerance of those who are 'different' in society as a whole? Or those who ask questions that you don't agree with as overall American culture is fragmenting into 'your group'?

Many of the same phenomona are showing up in both the white and black lower economic groups as well, teen pregnancies being the most notable, and boys who see no need to take responsibility.

So what is it in the culture which is trigering this shift?

Sad things for the kids who reject education, of any color, is that for those without, who won't take responsibility, its going to be the down elevator, and there comes a point in life when you can't go back and make up.
I will admit that anti-intellectualism has been on the rise in recent years. I think part of this is a result of the "redneck" influence getting stronger. Before, those in the "redneck" culture stayed to the fringes. "Ghetto culture" is merely a branch off from "redneck culture". Before, it was always towards the fringes. Now you find it in so many places. When you look at the pop culture today, nothing about it encourages intellectualism or being smart.

As for theology, I don't reject theology, being a Christian. And in some places, people try to strike a balance. I have a friend from Poland. According to him, you can find evolution and theology often taught in the same school.

I don't think it really had as much to do with the culture that triggered the shift. I think it was more that this behavior incubated over a period of time, and even further, what came out of the culture. Hip-hop started as a response to the isolation and discrimination, and it was about being socially conscious. It turned into something bad when MONEY became a factor. People found out that they could make more money rapping about killing, selling drugs, and getting women than they could about the issues in the community.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM

67 posts, read 126,345 times
":Actually it comes from politicians that do anything to appease their white couterparts for personal gain"
Now you know thats not true. I do agree that politicians will do anything to get elected but they wouldn't dare say anything racist even if thats what they believe. When a famous black person comes out to supposrt Republican candidates the news is always about the hate mail they get for doing so.

"The difference between todays Democrats and Republicans is money. Republicans tend to lean towards big business and as of recently religious controls of personal freedoms. Democrats also lean to businesses that tend to deal with society ills and freedom from religios controls. Republicans have basically said that they do not like blacks and others that do not believe what they believe and make not real efforts to gain that trust. Democrats, being that there is not other viable option take the black and poor vote for granted. Republicans will cut your head off quickly but Democrats will cut you slowly and let you bleed to death"
This isn't true either. Republicans and Democrats are both about big money. When it comes to big money and big corporations there they're the same. The Democrats can try all they want to try and align themselves with the "99%" but Obama bailed out the Wall street fat cats just like Bush did and left poor families of every color to the dogs.

"That was then, this is now. Have you failed to mention why the republicans decided to go with the "southern strategy" not once with tricky dicky but again with reagan? Why did the southern states become republicans? Could it have been because of the Civil Rights Act?"
The Civil Right Act is Republican legislation my friend.
LBJ voted against every civil rights act except that one.
Remember LBJ's plan for the Great Society was “to have them n___ers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years.”
Democrats were always against Civil Rights. The majority of them voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

As far as the "Southern Strategy" goes I would advise you to dive a little deeper into your research. Is it possible that you have been misinformed about the Southern Strategy my friend.

ps
I am not a supporter of either party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies