Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Everyone depends on others.

Do you grow your own cotton, pick and weave your own cloth, sew it into clothing?
Do you grow all of your own food?
Do you drill your own crude oil, refine it, and use it in the care that you built?

We are all interdependent.
But I compensate those from whom I receive those goods. What can you do to compensate a person whom doesn't want anything from you but from whom you demand approval?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
2- We live in a society of freaking pansies, where parents are telling kids that they are not parents, they are "friends". What kind of BS is this? Not to mention, the majority of parents really don't want to do what it takes- let the teachers, the I-phone, the Internet be the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sure kids in Africa, South America and the Middle East are not killing themselves over some comment someone made on stupid ass Facebook- these kids need to get their asses kicked more often!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
She shouldn't haven't gotten back on facebook after the guy blackmailed her....

Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM

216 posts, read 448,984 times
Very interesting comments so far.

So, a question:
Where did we go wrong? I'm not trying to point fingers or play the blame game, but what happened that caused us to be...."us" in 2012?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. I'm trying to get you to understand why guys say these things. I've read many of Harrier's posts. He's not going to be splitting the atom anytime soon, but he's far from the neanderthals we see clogging up many of these threads. He's intelligent enough to understand that telling a 15 year-old girl to fight back or ignore the mob making her life a living hell isn't an actual solution.

I sometimes wish some of you understood that it's not particularly easy to be a guy in our society. It certainly isn't easy to be a female, either. What you need to know is that most men want to be compassionate and empathetic. They really do. The problem is that the social cost they believe they will have to pay in appearing to be an empathetic person is too great. Many of them have never had male role models who show them that you can be a man have these qualities. Most of them had male role models who demonstrated the opposite. There was a poster a couple weeks ago who noted in a spanking thread that his grandparents hit his father and his father hit him and now he hits his kids. Everyone he knows does the same thing. They have little understanding of what it means to be a man, so they are left with feigning the bravado you see here. That's not an easy place to be and most of them would rather be in a place where they wouldn't have to act in this manner.
I don't really care why certain guys act like morons.
Most certainly, all don't act like immature idiots.
Being shallow is a choice; idiots make that choice.

It's not particularly easy to be anything in this or any society.
Gender doesn't matter.
Interesting series of excuses you're making.

We all choose who we are and who we want to be; we choose to improve ourselves, stay the same, or regress.
Quit making excuses for slackers.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I think the zero tolerance nonsense ends up getting more kids in trouble than helping out. This aint prison. Well yet anyway.
LOL - they put me in the "Opportunity Class" which was one step above(or below - depending on how you look at it) In School Suspension - the rules were "change" or we will expel you. Either way you look at it - "O" class was designated for the perceived "screwups".

Well my only problem was that other students picked fights with me and I fought back. I never saw those instigators in the "O" class with me. I was bullied even by the school administration.

Yeah - I was some "bad dude" - barred from the 8th grade Disneyland trip - and in 2nd place for the most detentions in the 7th grade class for that year..

All that because I refused to be a victim of bullying - and the school administration was sold on the "zero tolerance" policy.

The same guy(me) earned several awards in High School for academic, athletic, and community service achievement - plus one that covers all three and has less to do with success in those areas and more to do with attitude, presence, and leadership - the name of which I won't mention because there are better individuals who were awarded this honor and we don't tend to broadcast ourselves. There are very few individuals who were chosen for this honor(selected by the faculty) at my High School. I woudn't want to seem to be overshadowing someone else who did something pretty awesome. Needless to say - I am quite proud of my selection for this particular award - and also humbled by my being chosen as an awardee.

I also was on the Honor Roll in College, graduated with a college degree, and utilized what I studied in the real world. Yet my Middle School said I was one step from expulsion and they were giving me an "opportunity".

LOL!

Last edited by Harrier; 10-11-2012 at 10:59 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Very interesting comments so far.

So, a question:
Where did we go wrong? I'm not trying to point fingers or play the blame game, but what happened that caused us to be...."us" in 2012?
I don't know that there is more bullying now than in the past. What has changed is the social media which allows us to harass someone to much greater depths and to broadcast it to many, many more people. To say that Facebook is a net negative for society is a grand understatement. I can tell you that it is that site in particular that is an absolute breeding ground for libel and malicious harassment in our schools. It's a terrible problem.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
But I compensate those from whom I receive those goods. What can you do to compensate a person whom doesn't want anything from you but from whom you demand approval?
Moving the goalpost, I see.
That's not what you said.
I responded to what you said and I'm not playing your little game.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't really care why certain guys act like morons.
Most certainly, all don't act like immature idiots.
Being shallow is a choice; idiots make that choice.

It's not particularly easy to be anything in this or any society.
Gender doesn't matter.
Interesting series of excuses you're making.

We all choose who we are and who we want to be; we choose to improve ourselves, stay the same, or regress.
Quit making excuses for slackers.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm trying to explain why it occurs. You wish to believe that the reasons are unimportant. I disagree.

If I were to explain that I think many violent offenders harm others because they themselves were abused, would you argue that I'm "making excuses" for trying to identify why they behave in destructive ways?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Your post is disgusting and has no compassion whatsoever.
It's not lacking compassion. It's wishing she had handled it better. It's wishing that she had beat the crap out of the people that messed with her. He's wishing these things because if she had done them she wouldn't have been driven to this. So by extension it's wishing this had never happened, how is that disgusting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies