Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,158 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Been an interesting shift in momentum, especially in the media and glowing reports of Romney's performance has seemed to have genuinely catapulted him back into contention.

Now given that Obama has long been described as "style over substance" can someone please explain to me the key moments in Romney's speech that seem to have regained his credibility? After all he has recovered lost ground and appears to be growing in confidence. The horse that gathers momentum usually wins the race and Romney's one real moment of positivity has seen such a seismic shift in perception that it is almost baffling how this debate has already rendered the rest the campaign redundant, seeming to trump a whole host of ill judged campaign maneuvers and gaffes.

Are America just looking for an excuse to give Obama the boot? Just been watiing for one strip of a match to rekindle the flame and light the tinderbox that will see Romney home from the final hurdle to finsihing post?

Have America in all honesty just been wating for one positive moment in Romney's campaign to just sigh with relief say "Well you ain't Obama and that's good enough for me. I'm sold. Hey buddy, you got yourself a sale" because they are disillusioned with Obama and are eager for change, even if it is someone they are not overly enthusiastic about?

As an international observer the race appears to have got interesting. Having followed the election in Venezuela recently very closely it has also struck me how wide of the mark the actual result was to the polling statistics beforehand. Obama is still the fabourite but Romney has obviously regained some much neeeded momentum.

What strikes me though is how much has been pinned on just one debate? Strange one this. It has previously been claimed that the only people who watch the debates are people who already know how they're going to vote, so any major shift in voting intentions is about how the debates are reported.

The shift towards Romney would seem to be a reflection of the shift in perception by the media, which does beg questions about the ability of journalists and commentators to inform us. At what point did Romney's policies change? When, during the debate, did he come up with a new, refreshing and credible answer to America's problems? I've not seen this moment of enlightenment described or referenced. All I've read is that Romney was more confident than expected and Obama was lacklustre. Is that it? The future of America determined by who's breezy?

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 10-12-2012 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies