Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times

Advertisements

I think Democrats have been doing themselves a disservice by trying to garner support from Americans in general for raising taxes on the rich b/c that plays into the rhetoric of class warfare. What they should be doing is pointing out the rich believe that they should pay more taxes.

A couple of times a year since Obama took office a poll is done that highlights a majority of people making over $1M/year support raising taxes on themselves. When Obama first came into office, that # was barely over 50%. The latest one I could find has it close to 70%.

This is a message straight from the horse's mouth. And when you weigh it against the fact there are rich people that oppose paying any taxes on principle, not financials, that should have been the nail in the coffin on the tax debate.

Millionaires Support Warren Buffett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Well this is certainly reality based, just like a TV show.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
It tells me that these must be the least resourceful wealthy people in the world. All they have to do is write a check for the amount they think they should pay. It also makes me wonder why the champion of higher taxes, Buffett, would go to court to avoid paying taxes. It also makes me wonder why when he put together his group of billionaires, he asked them to donate half of their wealth to charity rather than giving it to the US Treasury. Considering all of those points, I guess it tells me that someone is full of it.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I think Democrats have been doing themselves a disservice by trying to garner support from Americans in general for raising taxes on the rich b/c that plays into the rhetoric of class warfare. What they should be doing is pointing out the rich believe that they should pay more taxes.
Then they are liars. There is NOTHING preventing them from paying the extra taxes they support. The IRS will gladly accept their money.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It tells me that these must be the least resourceful wealthy people in the world. All they have to do is write a check for the amount they think they should pay. It also makes me wonder why the champion of higher taxes, Buffett, would go to court to avoid paying taxes. It also makes me wonder why when put together his grohup of billionaires, he asked them to donate half of their wealth to charity rather than giving it to the US Treasury. Considering all of those points, I guess it tells me that someone is full of it.

Because Buffett is a hypocrite and just spews political rhetoric to make people think he is a good guy.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
It tells me that these must be the least resourceful wealthy people in the world. All they have to do is write a check for the amount they think they should pay. It also makes me wonder why the champion of higher taxes, Buffett, would go to court to avoid paying taxes. It also makes me wonder why when put together his grohup of billionaires, he asked them to donate half of their wealth to charity rather than giving it to the US Treasury. Considering all of those points, I guess it tells me that someone is full of it.
Exactly. They're full of hot air and then some.

If they truly want to pay more tax, stop with the deductions.

Damn, they must be stupid to not be able to figure that out.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
well said. the wealthy didnt get that way by spending money they didnt have to spend. these people are not stupid. they might on the surface support raising taxes on themselves as a pubic relations gimmick, but behind the scenes they are always looking at ways to pay as little in taxes as they possibly can. they might push for a higher tax rate, but they will also push for another deduction or allowance or loophole they can exploit to bring their tax burden down again. and if they cant do that, they will pass the higher tax onto others if they can. for instance, if taxes are raised on those businesses making more than what ever arbitrary income level the government sets, if the business cant lower their tax burden through deductions, allowances or loopholes, they will raise their prices to cover the difference.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Then they are liars. There is NOTHING preventing them from paying the extra taxes they support. The IRS will gladly accept their money.

Lol... who's full of what? These people support getting taxes raised on themselves. They know how higher rates will affect them more than you do. They know if it will crater their businesses or personal spending. Their support defeats your bullchit rhetoric that's been hand fed to you by those Uber-greedy that would probably still fight for lower taxes even if they paid 5%.

Despite thinking that you're making some intellectual point by saying nothing's stopping them from donating more, the point of their support is that it shows that it won't have the negative affect that Republicans and the super-greedy claim raising taxes will.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. the wealthy didnt get that way by spending money they didnt have to spend. these people are not stupid. they might on the surface support raising taxes on themselves as a pubic relations gimmick, but behind the scenes they are always looking at ways to pay as little in taxes as they possibly can. they might push for a higher tax rate, but they will also push for another deduction or allowance or loophole they can exploit to bring their tax burden down again. and if they cant do that, they will pass the higher tax onto others if they can. for instance, if taxes are raised on those businesses making more than what ever arbitrary income level the government sets, if the business cant lower their tax burden through deductions, allowances or loopholes, they will raise their prices to cover the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Exactly. They're full of hot air and then some.

If they truly want to pay more tax, stop with the deductions.

Damn, they must be stupid to not be able to figure that out.

Lol... You guys are so transparent w/ your nonsense. If the majority of the rich say they are okay w/ getting taxed more, what does that tell you about the warnings of economic collapse that the Right & Koch Bros. having been hand feeding you.

Do you realize how much like sheep you're exposing yourselves to be? Use your own bias for second to think... how many of those millionaires are REPUBLICANS? Even the people who you're saying you're fighting on behalf of are telling you to get your chit together... lol

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Lol... who's full of what? These people support getting taxes raised on themselves. They know how higher rates will affect them more than you do. They know if it will crater their businesses or personal spending. Their support defeats your bullchit rhetoric that's been hand fed to you by those Uber-greedy that would probably still fight for lower taxes even if they paid 5%.

Despite thinking that you're making some intellectual point by saying nothing's stopping them from donating more, the point of their support is that it shows that it won't have the negative affect that Republicans and the super-greedy claim raising taxes will.
It's a matter of words versus actions. If they really support it, they should pay more while arguing for the rates. They could lead by example and demonstrate how much they paid. Instead, Buffet is in court to avoid paying more. Why not just accept what the IRS said you owe if you really want to pay more anyway? He could even send the money he spent on legal fees to the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies