Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
My younger brother did not have insurance while he was going to school part time and working 38 hours at one job and 10 at the other (no benefits). Luckily, he is under 26 and was able to get back on my fathers insurance under Obamacare
(Catching up in this thread) By the time I was 26, I had been married for 4 years, had moved to another state, and was quite used to the idea of being fully self-supporting and responsible for myself - good or bad. I find the very idea of 26 year olds needing to be on their parents' insurance silly beyond belief and only encouraging irresponsibility. Mom's basement is no place for adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I find your posts informative, but would it kill you to dial back the condescension a notch?

Discussing

quigboto
I agree! Stuff like (snickers) and the like does not make me take these posts seriously. Such posting would seem to be against the TOS for rudeness, but I guess the mods only find some people rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
(Catching up in this thread) By the time I was 26, I had been married for 4 years, had moved to another state, and was quite used to the idea of being fully self-supporting and responsible for myself - good or bad. I find the very idea of 26 year olds needing to be on their parents' insurance silly beyond belief and only encouraging irresponsibility. Mom's basement is no place for adults.
Big Whoop! I actually was in a similar situation as you. However, not everyone's situation is the same, and it's not "living in Mom's basement" to be on one's parents' insurance. I'd give an example of my daughter, but I learned my lesson with that. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Big Whoop! I actually was in a similar situation as you. However, not everyone's situation is the same, and it's not "living in Mom's basement" to be on one's parents' insurance. I'd give an example of my daughter, but I learned my lesson with that. You'll just have to take my word for it.
By the time one is an adult, and certainly by the age where one normally woud be graduating college (let's say age 22), self-sufficiency should be kicking in full-time. By 26, parents shoud be providing love, moral support, occasional assistance with life's awkward necessities (like helping out with grandkids, passing on a used car), but should not be providing basics like food, shelter or health insurance.

Yeah, it *is* "living in Mom's basement" to be on your parents health insurance at age 26...

Old 10-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
By the time one is an adult, and certainly by the age where one normally woud be graduating college (let's say age 22), self-sufficiency should be kicking in full-time. By 26, parents shoud be providing love, moral support, occasional assistance with life's awkward necessities (like helping out with grandkids, passing on a used car), but should not be providing basics like food, shelter or health insurance.

Yeah, it *is* "living in Mom's basement" to be on your parents health insurance at age 26...
What if you are in graduate school? Why is it OK to pass on a used car, but not to pay for health insurance?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My Mother has no health insurance. She had a good job with benefits, was fired/laid off at age 55. She has had part time jobs on and off since then, not a lot of jobs open for those over 55...she has had no insurance for the last several years. At a time in her life, when she should be having preventative health care, she has no clue about her blood sugar level, has not had a PAP for years, or a mammogram, or even had money for glasses or routine dental work. She looks older than her age due to her stress and poor health. And due to her low income, she does not have lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. She eats mostly pasta, bread, oatmeal. She has gained weight...

Last summer, I had knee surgery. Best thing I ever did. Without insurance, I would still be in constant pain.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What if you are in graduate school? Why is it OK to pass on a used car, but not to pay for health insurance?
If Mom and/or Dad want to dig into their pockets to pay for a separate plan, I'd have no problem. I don't think adult children should be able to ride their parents plan under the law. Those are apron strings that should be cut long before then. Adults need to stand on their own two feet.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
If Mom and/or Dad want to dig into their pockets to pay for a separate plan, I'd have no problem. I don't think adult children should be able to ride their parents plan under the law. Those are apron strings that should be cut long before then. Adults need to stand on their own two feet.
What's wrong with paying a higher premium to have other people on a plan? Furthermore, I think the law should be based on what's good for people instead of forcing people into your arbitrary views on responsibility (they can get a free car but not a free house?). There are legitimate reasons for not insuring people under their parents' plans until 26, but you can go to hell if you want to pass laws just to tell people how to raise their kids. This is what's wrong with conservatives right here, they have their own views on being an ideal human being and think the government should have a hand in making people comply with them.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
What is your issue with this? A decent used car costs at least $10K, yet you have no problem with a parent "gifting" one to their adult offspring. But to pay $50/mo more for health insurance, for a few years, to keep said offspring on your plan b/c she has a pre-existing condition and she's not eligible for the HI the university sells b/c she's a part time student, is not OK?

The absolutely hilarious thing about this attitude is, on another thread, a poster said people should get help from their families, not the government. So we are helping our daughter, just like the RW "Personal responsibility" people say, and somehow that's not OK?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-27-2012 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mother has no health insurance. She had a good job with benefits, was fired/laid off at age 55. She has had part time jobs on and off since then, not a lot of jobs open for those over 55...she has had no insurance for the last several years. At a time in her life, when she should be having preventative health care, she has no clue about her blood sugar level, has not had a PAP for years, or a mammogram, or even had money for glasses or routine dental work. She looks older than her age due to her stress and poor health. And due to her low income, she does not have lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. She eats mostly pasta, bread, oatmeal. She has gained weight...

Last summer, I had knee surgery. Best thing I ever did. Without insurance, I would still be in constant pain.
There are so many of us in this exact situation as your mother, I'm one of them, I lost my job in '08 along with my health insurance at 58, I'm now 62 I'm finally working full time at a hospital as a "temp" so guess what even though I work at a hospital still no insurance.

I hope you mom might be able to at least get to a planned parenthood, they will do paps and get her a mammogram and some basic blood work. It's where I've been going to get mine for the last several years and without PP I'd be elegible for nothing.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 PM

749 posts, read 838,595 times
No...

Everyone I know, has their sh*t together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies