Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Well, good try but your lists are off the mark. Here is a better list to help

Traditional values:

[*]Supporting personal freedom and choice
Ooohhhhh.
Sure! We are in the year 2012 and we are still discussing if gay couples should have the same rights as other couples. This obsession with abortion that most Republicans have is truly bizarre! Most European countries settled this issue in the 1960's. Sorry but the idea that Conservatives/ Republicans are for personal freedom is a bunch of BS

Last edited by Repubocrat; 10-16-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
What?????? I don't think anybody has "pushed back women having children until they are much older". What info do you have that shows this?

And I don't care what age women have children as long as they can emotionally and financially support the child.
Dude. Really? You don't see it? Even in your response, you have your answer. What is considered emotionally and financially ready has steadily been pushed back until people can't really do it until they are late in the 20's or in their 30's. The fact is, none of those factors are necessary for having children and they don't help stop the biological clock, nor do they factor in the human need for sex.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Sure! We are in the year 2012 and we are still discussing if gay couples should have the same rights as other couples. This obsession with abortion that most Republicans have is truly bizarre! Most European countries settled this issue in the 1960's. Sorry but the idea that Conservatives/ Republicans are for personal freedom is a bunch of BS
I didn't say "Republicans". You added that.

I'm a conservative and support personal freedom, but not to the extent that it involves implementing my own definition of murder. Government should not tell me who or how many I can marry. Government should tell me who I can or cannot murder.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Dude. Really? You don't see it? Even in your response, you have your answer. What is considered emotionally and financially ready has steadily been pushed back until people can't really do it until they are late in the 20's or in their 30's. The fact is, none of those factors are necessary for having children and they don't help stop the biological clock, nor do they factor in the human need for sex.
The human need for sex and having children when you can care for them are totally different issues.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
The human need for sex and having children when you can care for them are totally different issues.
They are. But "traditional" values places an unnatural prohibition on the one that it cannot possibly control - the need for sex.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
OP - you got it right.

For some reason conservatives and prudery go together. I guess it is why sex is sinful and war is profitable. Konservatives year for a time that never was and a society where they were important.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - you got it right.

For some reason conservatives and prudery go together. I guess it is why sex is sinful and war is profitable. Konservatives year for a time that never was and a society where they were important.
You are describing the fringe element. I'm a conservative and love sex and hate ALL wars.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
How do you logically defend politicians openly basing their policy on traditional values?

Appeal to Tradition is the oldest logical fallacy in the book. Something being old does not have any inherent effect on its validity. It's just a byproduct of our tribalistic, primal evolutionary instinct, because staying in stable hunting environments was necessary to our survival when climate conditions were constant. And it happens to most effect...the same people who don't believe in Evolution.

And here's the kicker: your traditional values don't actually exist. In fact, they are very recent, progressive inventions.

Do you want to know what the real traditional family was? It depends on how far back you go. Polygamy used to be a stable tradition -- it even appears in the Old Testament. For most of Western history, girls would be arranged to marry old men when they were as young as 14 or 15 years of age. Teens having sex today is nontraditional? Give me a break; back then, they were forced to do it all the time!

So let me ask you a question:

Why do you pick and choose what traditions to follow? Why should we value the wisdom of the same people who married their daughters off at 15, opposed women's suffrage and owned black people as slaves?

PS. Interesting fact: conservative states have the highest teen pregnancy and divorce rates.
The "conservatives" have trash-canned their "values" and "principles" and now rally around a liberal candidate Mitt Romney. This is what happened with Bush as well. They talk a good talk, but when it is time to put your money where your mouth is, they always push for a liberal lukewarm mainstream Republicans.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-16-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
You are describing the fringe element. I'm a conservative and love sex and hate ALL wars.
Exactly! I am a conservative and am no puritan either and I think we need to stop invading other countries and forcing our way of life on them and spending huge amounts of our tax dollars doing so. We need to bring our troops home and protect our own borders and use those tax dollars to help our own citizens.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Most of the conservatives I know don't approve of gay relationships based on biblical beliefs. However, they aren't trying to outlaw it and don't have a problem with civil unions. It is gay marriage in the traditional sense that they object to.

As for abortion I am a pro-lifer and do think it should be outlawed and only used in case of rape, etc. Aren't we pro-lifers entitled to fight for legislation against it just like pro-choicers are entitled to fight for legislation for it? I thought we lived in a democracy. Personal freedom is a two way street. The left doesn't like our freedom of speech or our views either so why do lefties only say they are being denied that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies