Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Given the opportunity and nurturing, 3–5 year olds have the capacity for genius. They can have critical thinking skills in musicianship, artistic endeavors, math and reading, and language. Many a famous performer started their later expertise at that age.

More and more kids are going into preschool and school with some other children who are homeless. Not understanding why the homeless kids have no home, no good clothes, haircuts, or seem tired from lack of nutrition, the well-off or comfortable kids begin to shun, make fun of, or outright bully them. The premise of educational shows on PBS is to not only teach tolerance and that others are different but of equal value, but WHY those differences exist.

When my kids went to school, anyone wearing the wrong brand of socks, or anyone without a certain kind of backpack, were mercilessly teased.

You cannot begin teaching kids early enough. The famous song in the musical South Pacific, which dealt with racial bias and ostracism, was "You've Got to be Carefully Taught." That is, you are taught hate and snottiness at very young age, emulating your parent and relatives. Kids learn their values somewhere, beginning at home.

You'd prefer that the inevitable television watching by young kids (many who are being babysat) is the trash and commercials on regular channels? Really? I'd hate to see what our country would be like if we didn't have the small counterbalance of public television. BTW, you may have gotten that Big Bird is just the symbol for any program on public television.
I have disagreed with Happy Texan, who you quoted, many times. However, I think the bold is an unfair twisting of her words (in bold). I think, if I'm interpreting her correctly, she'd rather see the programs for the youngest kids stick to educational themes.

Your kids must have gone to school in an extremely affluent area. It also sounds like the school should have intervened.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
No one is suggesting getting rid of Big Bird. They are suggesting PBS shouldn't be funded by government. They sell advertising just like any other TV station, but while other stations are competing for advertising Dollars, PBS isgetting them AND government money at the same time. If the government is going to give money to PBS, then they shouldn't be selling advertising, and they should be politically neutral.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
No one is suggesting getting rid of Big Bird. They are suggesting PBS shouldn't be funded by government. They sell advertising just like any other TV station, but while other stations are competing for advertising Dollars, PBS isgetting them AND government money at the same time. If the government is going to give money to PBS, then they shouldn't be selling advertising, and they should be politically neutral.
The govt. doesn't give PBS its total budget. They have to get the rest of it somewhere. I have never seen a politically biased show on PBS, let alone Sesame Street in particular.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The govt. doesn't give PBS its total budget. They have to get the rest of it somewhere. I have never seen a politically biased show on PBS, let alone Sesame Street in particular.
Again PBS sells advertising. Why should regular tv stations compete for advertising dollars with a government subsidized tv station?

Either the government owns it and pays for it, or they are on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies