Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times

Advertisements

Mountain View, CA decides this week whether to grant a license to CFA. An appeal was filed by one David Speakman, a man in a gay marriage. He's opposing the conversion of the former restaurant site on El Camino Real on the basis of their stance on gay marriage (and the drive-thru).

City officials are recommending the City Council deny the appeal.

Based on the article I think they will approve the project. One member of the council states she doesn't agree with their position but would not make her decision based on it. And an attorney for the Pacific Justice Institute notes its illegal for cities to make zoning restrictions around beliefs deemed politically incorrect.

So much for liberal tolerance. If they build it I guess I might have to pedal down there and meet Repubocrat for a sandwich. Wouldn't want to get fat.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I disagree with all limitations on business license. But this is a local issue, and local communities have been doing this for a long time, with strip clubs, liquor stores, etc.

Suddenly republicans seem concerned when the blocked business agrees with them, but have been against individual freedom when the disagree with it.

Can't have it both ways.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:44 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
And I wish you guys would stop pulling the stupid "liberal tolerance" cliche. I don't know a single liberal who defines tolerance as accepting anyone and everything, no matter how reprehensible their views are.

I don't tolerate Neo-Nazis, the Westboro Baptist Church, or the KKK. Does that make me intolerant?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And I wish you guys would stop pulling the stupid "liberal tolerance" cliche. I don't know a single liberal who defines tolerance as accepting anyone and everything, no matter how reprehensible their views are.

I don't tolerate Neo-Nazis, the Westboro Baptist Church, or the KKK. Does that make me intolerant?
supporters of marriage and neo-nazis are slightly different.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Mountain View, CA decides this week whether to grant a license to CFA. An appeal was filed by one David Speakman, a man in a gay marriage. He's opposing the conversion of the former restaurant site on El Camino Real on the basis of their stance on gay marriage (and the drive-thru).

City officials are recommending the City Council deny the appeal.

Based on the article I think they will approve the project. One member of the council states she doesn't agree with their position but would not make her decision based on it. And an attorney for the Pacific Justice Institute notes its illegal for cities to make zoning restrictions around beliefs deemed politically incorrect.

So much for liberal tolerance. If they build it I guess I might have to pedal down there and meet Repubocrat for a sandwich. Wouldn't want to get fat.
Yeah they only want tolerance when it's applied to them.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Tolerance is only desirable when the situation favors the homosexual agenda exclusively.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:53 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:

No. But when the church disagrees with gay marriage all Republicans are intolerant.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:53 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
This is a First Amendment issue - plain and simple. If Chick-Fil-A is not being allowed to open in cities because it exercised its freedom of speech (or the owner exercised his freedom of speech) to say something that the city does not like, that is a clear violation of the rights of Chick-Fil-A and its owner.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:

I'm not a liberal. I support westboros right to free speech, even at military funerals and burning qurans. But I also respect the freedom of speech of those that surround those cemeteries. To protect the families of the fallen.

I want a free country, which means I support all of the idiotic things that I disagree with intellectually.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Just one more "bash a liberal" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is a First Amendment issue - plain and simple. If Chick-Fil-A is not being allowed to open in cities because it exercised its freedom of speech (or the owner exercised his freedom of speech) to say something that the city does not like, that is a clear violation of the rights of Chick-Fil-A and its owner.
No. It's another bash liberals thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies