Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times

Advertisements

Would't a real poor person have an old non-hi-def TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Default minions or puppets , your choice

More puppets, heads filled with fluff, protesting MR is not news.

You can see it on cable evryday in the form of DWS and DA and Jim Carney.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Dont give Onumbnuts any more ideas.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have two sons, one 31 and the other 27. Neither of them watched the Muppets avidly although that younger one did watch them when he wasn't watching certain movies, like Smokey and the Bandit. Before he started to school he watched that thing at least once every day. The older one never did watch the Muppets since he had become a "farmer" before he ever saw them. He spent all his spare time in our yard "farming" with his toy John Deere implements. Guess what he does for a living. Yep, he is a John Deere technician for a local John Deer dealership. In fact, both of them work for the same dealer.
Then that's probably what's wrong with them?
Boy?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
No. A person can purchase a HDTV for $100.00.
A used one for about 1/2 of that.
I know righties might say, YOU COULD'VE SPENT THAT ON FOOD!
OMG, what's the world coming to?

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 10-14-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Also, what part of WE'RE BROKE do they not understand?
Probably the part that still finds money for stuff like the popcorn subsidy and other things. PBS is a pawn in this game.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...ry?id=16568502
*McCain debuted a "Top Ten" list of the worst offenders in the farm bill, which he deemed "ugly."

The price tag is hefty: $30 million to create the office and $14 million each year thereafter – for an office, McCain notes, to inspect catfish, which are already inspected by the FDA. . . .

"Under the farm bill, popcorn will be subsidized to the tune of $91 million over ten years," McCain said. "There isn't a kernel of evidence that they need this subsidy."

The bill calls for $25 million to study the health benefits of peas, lentils and garbanzo beans.

Other worst offenders noted by McCain: $200 million for the value-added grant program which gives grants to novelty producers like small wineries and cheese makers and $40 million in grants from the Department of Agriculture to encourage private landowners to use their land for bird watching or hunting

And people are all whipped up over Big Bird?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I guess Obama is just taking care of the wealthy.....

The actor who has played Big Bird for more than 40 years is building himself quite the nest egg. Big Bird puppeteer Caroll Spinney was compensated $314,072 in 2010.

In fact, Spinney is not even the highest paid muppeteer on the Sesame roster. Joseph Mazzarino, a veteran puppet master who has been with the series since 1990, received $556,165 in compensation in 2010. On “Sesame Street,” he performs the voices of Murray, Stinky the Stinkweed, the Two-Headed Monster, Papa Bear and an Elephant in a tutu. He has also directed several episodes.

According to the 990 tax form, the highest paid person at Sesame Workshop in 2010 was president and CEO Gary Knell, who was compensated $988,456.

The show’s total operating revenue that year was $132 million, which included almost $50 million in licensing revenue for “Sesame Street” toys and other merchandise.

How’s that for a sunny day?
I assume you are against extending the Bush tax cuts to the wealthy also.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm too poor to pay for cable or satellite tv.
I have a hdtv and a outdoor hdtv antenna
I receive about 50 over the air channels.
defunding pbs would mean I wouldn't be able to watch frontline, nova, world television, and other informational-educational channels. so, it's not just big bird we (the public) would be missing.
I also receive traffic and weather reports from my pbs stations.
It would be a huge mistake to defund such a invaluable service.

If conservatives want to take away funding for something, why don't they begin by slicing their own salaries.
Great points. NOVA started its fortieth season this year.
Of course, we are talking about people who don't feel that there is any need for the general population to know about that science stuff so...

Gee, I wonder how many years of programming one or two of those tanks sitting unused in the desert would cover.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,159 times
It is a national disgrace how the PBS crowd steals 400 million dollars a year from the taxpayers. Here we have a mostly white, upper income, liberal organization which always attacks "evil big business", "evil rich", but they themselves are the biggest bunch of welfare queens in America.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Fund Sesame Street the same way you fund American Idol: c-o-m-m-e-r-c-i-a-l-s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies