Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times

Advertisements

I scored abysmally, but I am all for such a test, the test would weed out those unwilling to put in the effort to study and take their voting rights seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What if I were to design the better exam?
One person wouldn't be commissioned to design the exam, I'm quite sure.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What if I were to design the better exam?

1. The painting of Lincoln's Cabinet is an iconic painting representing a significant era in American history. In the painting there is a chair with a portfolio laid across it. Many historians assert there was a "missing" member of Lincoln's Cabinet represented by that empty chair. Who was the "missing" Cabinet member?
Barack Obama?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM

200 posts, read 293,139 times
Wouldn't true knowledge of the Constitution be better than a handful of questions for which most people won't know the answers? The candidates running for national office don't follow the Constitution and dismiss it as if it doesn't exist. The three branches of federal government dance around it. If they adhered to it; abortion, healthcare, gun control, the environment, economy and jobs wouldn't be main talking points this season.
If a topic isn't addressed by the Constitution it is covered by the 10th amendment which leaves that up to the states as well as individuals.

This is from www.achives.gov and any can read the Declaration or Constitution day or night. I highly recommend doing so to be cognizant of what is being shoved down your throats on a daily basis.

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I recently stumbled across this civic literacy test. The questions seem very reasonable.

I propose that a minimum score of 70 percent be required in order to vote in the United States.
I got 58 of 60 questions right. However, I do not see how most of the questions asked on that test have any relevance to being able to vote. You don't have to know American history to be able to vote for a President or to pass a law.
Example:
How does The War of 1812 have anything to do voting?

Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I got 58 of 60 questions right. However, I do not see how most of the questions asked on that test have any relevance to being able to vote. You don't have to know American history to be able to vote for a President or to pass a law.
Example:
How does The War of 1812 have anything to do voting?
It's my considered opinion that people who would flunk a test like that have no framework for consideration of current events because they are likely to be as intellectually lazy about current events as they are about past events. But we could update it if you think it's too much to expect voters to know this country's history.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I somehow managed to get 75 pct. But boy that is a tough test.
I gave up halfway through it thinking if people had to do this test and get a 70% passing mark youd probably have less than 10% of the population eligible to vote.
I like the one man one vote scenario,

Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 AM

937 posts, read 927,348 times
I scored a 60... Well, always feels good to beat out Chapel Hill.
The test asks questions about philosophies which isn't really fair to many. Most kids who go through any education system are not educated on many of the topics and many of the events of recent history (last 50 years) aren't as discussed in detail in enough classrooms. I don't recall learning much about the Gulf of Tonkin ever nor the Cuban Missle Crisis. I know what they are, I just was never informed of the repercussions or reasons.
Anyway, this was fun.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It's my considered opinion that people who would flunk a test like that have no framework for consideration of current events because they are likely to be as intellectually lazy about current events as they are about past events. But we could update it if you think it's too much to expect voters to know this country's history.
It's been a while since I took this test, and I don't remember all the questions now. However, I do recall a lot of the questions were sort of "trivia" questions about obscure dates and names.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I'll presume the idea behind a test like this would be to eliminate an entire demographic of the voting block, those that didnt get a higher education,immigrants,poor people,or maybe old Liberals like me who have forgotten half this stuff,probably most of those that would flunk the test would cast a vote for Democrat candidates.
Wonder what a future America would be like if only Republicans were allowed to vote. wonder why the authors of the constitution even made provisions for any one but the rich and well educated to have the right to vote.Why have a vote at all just get a bunch of the richest elite to nominate who'll be the figurehead for a while.
Another idea would be Instead of all the paperwork involved in applying a test like this to the entire voting demographic why not just simplify the whole process by just requiring you have a million bucks in the bank then you qualify to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies