Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Powerful Republicans think that Satan and Communists have taken over schools.
I might correct that to say that powerful Republicans want stupid rank and file Republicans to think that Satan and Communists have taken over schools, which is actually more despicable, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
We have been throwing more and more money at education in this country for decades. To what end? We are graduating kids from high school that CANT READ!! I think most of those are liberals. The unions are taking our money and our kids can't compete in the worlds economy because they are recieveing a poor education from teachers earning 80K a year and professors making six figures. We are graduating all kinds of liberal arts majors from college, with idiotic degrees that will not benefit them in the workplace and then you want more funding for the same. Are you people nuts?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Republicans are the first to cut education funding, financial aid, pell grants, affordable student loan programs etc. I believe they do this in order to keep their base, to put it bluntly, ignorant.

Republicans love to dangle the American Dream in front of their base's eyes and actually are able to convince them that by giving the CEO of Walmart, he will in return increase wages for all his employees or hire thousands of employees.

In addition, they will use scare tactics knowing 90% of their base have never traveled outside of America by touting if we don't cut education in order to increase military spending, we will see the end of days at our footsteps from Iran.

Education is the best way to bring a person out of poverty. Most of my friends have come from poor families and now work at companies such as PwC, Deloitte, Genetech, Google, Intel, Netflix etc. They are all hard workers, made use of various government programs to afford undergrad and graduate and now are making good money contributing back into the system that helped them get there.
For a person going off on education and ignorance, you backed up your assertions with precious little facts or data.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Roys, you have posted numerous times on this forum stating that you are a retired school teacher.

Don't you think it's hypocritical to be trashing education, when you yourself are living off of a dynamite retirement plan paid for by the taxpayer?
I am sure that you don't really know your butt from page 9 about the retirement payments that teachers here in Kansas have to pay but it is the same per cent that all other state employees have withheld each month as long as they work for the state. In my case, since I only paid into the system for 15 years I get about $650 per month and my wife who paid into the system for 39 years gets over $2300 per month. I wonder if that could be used to call you a fool. We don't have the "good" system that Wisconsin and other states do but ours isn't bad, either. Mine is structured so that my wife will draw what I get for life along with her own.

Are you really so ignorant about what is going on as to pitch your Pelosi about who has caused K-12 to deteriorate so much in recent years? I feel for you that you have to change the topic every time you step in it but you sure do.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
We have been throwing more and more money at education in this country for decades. To what end? We are graduating kids from high school that CANT READ!! I think most of those are liberals. The unions are taking our money and our kids can't compete in the worlds economy because they are recieveing a poor education from teachers earning 80K a year and professors making six figures. We are graduating all kinds of liberal arts majors from college, with idiotic degrees that will not benefit them in the workplace and then you want more funding for the same. Are you people nuts?
Well, yeah many of them are just that. They take whatever the progressives throw at them as pure truth and then regurgitate it back at us. That one that just called my $638 per month for life such a great thing proves they don't know their butts from page 9.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I loved your link but in 1976 the NEA contributed $4.5 million to Jimmy Carter in order to get him to create the Dept of Education. Go ahead and call me a liar but remember that I as a member of that union when that happened. I forced them to give me back my share of the money that they gave without asking the members to vote and then left the damned bunch. My wife remained in the bunch because they had some really great insurance for people who got sued for mistreating kids.

Damn, they kicked in over $7 billion in 2008? Hard to believe but I do believe it. Those unions do know what side their bread is buttered on, don't they?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree. The right wing machine are no doubt trying to keep their brainwashed sheep as dumb as possible. If they actually thought for themselves or were intelligent, they never would be right wingers.

Yawn...

"According to the new numbers, defense spending will have risen by about 34 percent since Bush came into office. But, at the same time, non-defense discretionary spending will have skyrocketed by almost 28 percent. Government agencies that Republicans were calling to be abolished less than 10 years ago, such as education and labor, have enjoyed jaw-dropping spending increases under Bush of 70 percent and 65 percent respectively."

"Conservative" Bush Spends More than "Liberal" Presidents Clinton, Carter | Veronique de Rugy and Tad DeHaven | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Name some important bills Obama has vetoed please. or, name one bill Obama has vetoed.
Why would he veto one since he had the whole Congress working with him the first two years and since that time he has had Harry Reid taking care of those things they don't like. I guess you don't know that Dirty Harry and company haven't even debated one money bill from the House the past 2 years. Our country has operated for 3 years and about to go on the 4th one without a budget. Of course, Hussein won't have to veto anything that Reid and crowd don't approve.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I might correct that to say that powerful Republicans want stupid rank and file Republicans to think that Satan and Communists have taken over schools, which is actually more despicable, IMO.
Young man I think that if you could see how much you have changed in the short time you have been siding with the progs here you would be shocked. You have picked up the Alinsky methods to deal with conservatives very fast and use all of them very well.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yawn...

"According to the new numbers, defense spending will have risen by about 34 percent since Bush came into office. But, at the same time, non-defense discretionary spending will have skyrocketed by almost 28 percent. Government agencies that Republicans were calling to be abolished less than 10 years ago, such as education and labor, have enjoyed jaw-dropping spending increases under Bush of 70 percent and 65 percent respectively."

"Conservative" Bush Spends More than "Liberal" Presidents Clinton, Carter | Veronique de Rugy and Tad DeHaven | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary
Yawn,..and from your own link

"George W. Bush is the most gratuitous big spender to occupy the White House since Jimmy Carter. One could say that he has become the "Mother of All Big Spenders."

Which is correct. W and the GOP spent like maniacs, while at the same time slashing revenues, which is what caused the nation to collapse in the first place. Only an idiot would do that, and those idiots are the GOP.

Now let's take a look at this graph

The right wingers seem to think food stamps and healthcare are far too over-bloated and need huge cuts, but oh no not the military! We need to spend even more on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies