Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM

46,222 posts, read 26,988,484 times

Advertisements

Don't we pay more per child right now than any other country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,071,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Republicans are the first to cut education funding, financial aid, pell grants, affordable student loan programs etc. I believe they do this in order to keep their base, to put it bluntly, ignorant.

Republicans love to dangle the American Dream in front of their base's eyes and actually are able to convince them that by giving the CEO of Walmart, he will in return increase wages for all his employees or hire thousands of employees.

In addition, they will use scare tactics knowing 90% of their base have never traveled outside of America by touting if we don't cut education in order to increase military spending, we will see the end of days at our footsteps from Iran.

Education is the best way to bring a person out of poverty. Most of my friends have come from poor families and now work at companies such as PwC, Deloitte, Genetech, Google, Intel, Netflix etc. They are all hard workers, made use of various government programs to afford undergrad and graduate and now are making good money contributing back into the system that helped them get there.
Higher education is not a "right". If people want to go to college, then they can figure out a way to pay for it themselves. Why should I fund their "higher education" of degrees in "women's studies" and "African Literature" and "pre-renaissance history". No thanks. Let them work two or three jobs to pay for their own education, nobody should get it handed to them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,212,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, in addition to wanting dirty air and water,
they want everyone to be stupid.
You people are a hoot.
You prove the failure of our education system.
Now ain't that the truth. They do prove how badly the system has failed in that they accept any lies the progressives tell them and run with them thinking they are all true.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,468,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Republicans are the first to cut education funding, financial aid, pell grants, affordable student loan programs etc. I believe they do this in order to keep their base, to put it bluntly, ignorant.

Republicans love to dangle the American Dream in front of their base's eyes and actually are able to convince them that by giving the CEO of Walmart, he will in return increase wages for all his employees or hire thousands of employees.

In addition, they will use scare tactics knowing 90% of their base have never traveled outside of America by touting if we don't cut education in order to increase military spending, we will see the end of days at our footsteps from Iran.

Education is the best way to bring a person out of poverty. Most of my friends have come from poor families and now work at companies such as PwC, Deloitte, Genetech, Google, Intel, Netflix etc. They are all hard workers, made use of various government programs to afford undergrad and graduate and now are making good money contributing back into the system that helped them get there.
Yes. I love how Republicans crow on about "teach a man to fish..." but then don't even want to provide the mechanisms to do just that. I can't begin to tell you the number of religious fundamentalists and right wing conservatives who I've heard complain about having to pay for education in their town. Really??? They're the most shortsighted people I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The problem is the teacher's UNION who donated about a half billion to Obama last election. They are the problem in all honesty with teaching. So much so they are starting to surpass lousy parents as the #1 problem IMO.
Actually, it's lousy teachers and parents. We've fired three teachers in three years in my school (they were truly awful) and I live in a union state. Our union didn't defend them one bit. More bad teachers get fired than you think because districts and communities like to keep it hush hush to avoid negative publicity. You'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Higher education is not a "right". If people want to go to college, then they can figure out a way to pay for it themselves. Why should I fund their "higher education" of degrees in "women's studies" and "African Literature" and "pre-renaissance history". No thanks. Let them work two or three jobs to pay for their own education, nobody should get it handed to them.

20yrsinBranson
Perhaps if higher education wasn't skyrocketing and wasn't socially required to get a decent job, I'd agree with you. I worked all through college and halfway through I still had to break down and get loans to pay for the rest, or I'd never graduate.

Though I can kind of understand the degree thing. Maybe if we had the government give more aid to more useful degree programs and less to the others...just thinking out loud here.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The problem is the teacher's UNION who donated about a half billion to Obama last election. They are the problem in all honesty with teaching. So much so they are starting to surpass lousy parents as the #1 problem IMO.
Not half a billion, not even.

Teachers Unions: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups | OpenSecrets

Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Another leaner exhibits a lack of knowledge about what is going on. You have to know that the Dems have controlled the House from 2007 to 2011 at which time they lost control and they have controlled the Senate since 2009 along with Obama and his veto pen since 2009.

Actually you do indicate a passel of stupid when you post like you just did but then we all know what you are attempting to do.
Quote:
I always wonder about the ignorance of people who don't know what is going on and how the Dems control the voting in Congress along with 4 years of Obama and his pen.
Name some important bills Obama has vetoed please. or, name one bill Obama has vetoed.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM

45,137 posts, read 26,325,093 times
Love how liberals make the leap in logic from not wanting our failure of a federal government to run the public education system,to not wanting anyone to be educated.
It's really quite the contrary.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM

26,972 posts, read 15,193,066 times
I did pretty well and I only had one Mommy.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,273,857 times
Powerful Republicans think that Satan and Communists have taken over schools.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,789,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many of the lies you people are trying to float through this thread came from anywhere not involving progressives? Open your eyes and look at the crap you are trying to float to your buddies.
Roys, you have posted numerous times on this forum stating that you are a retired school teacher.

Don't you think it's hypocritical to be trashing education, when you yourself are living off of a dynamite retirement plan paid for by the taxpayer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies