Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many individuals on welfare DO contribute to society.
Not to the extent that they take from it. They're a massive drain on resources.
Quote:
It is debatable that corporations contribute in a meaningful, positive way to our society.
Try getting along without them. Where will you get your food, clothing, and shelter from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Senior citizens and children own arms now?
This poster seems to believe so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If the U.S. got rid of welfare, what would happen?

Youd have many millions of people with absolutely nothing and a second amendment that guarantees their right to bear arms
My post was in response to that.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,121 times
I got denied welfare. "Made too much" even though I'm a college student. They half expected me to go and have a kid to become eligible. I am black so go figure.

Oh well. Just a couple more semesters and I'm done. Ramen is my new friend. Don't need their stinking help anywho.

But this girl on at my job got knocked up by some man she doesn't know and even gets..... CELLPHONES paid for. I'm like WTF? My taxes pays phone bills? Can barely afford my own. Omg this country!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I got denied welfare. "Made too much" even though I'm a college student. They half expected me to go and have a kid to become eligible. I am black so go figure.

Oh well. Just a couple more semesters and I'm done. Ramen is my new friend. Don't need their stinking help anywho.

But this girl on at my job got knocked up by some man she doesn't know and even gets..... CELLPHONES paid for. I'm like WTF? My taxes pays phone bills? Can barely afford my own. Omg this country!
Of course, you realize the mistake you're making... you're a responsible citizen preparing for a future of contributing to society. Everyone who contributes gets penalized for doing so. Conversely, the welfare leeches, like the girl in your example, are rewarded for their irresponsibility by getting freebies and handouts paid for by the responsible, contributing citizens.

Responsible citizens are clearly idiots for submitting to being used like that.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I live in MAss and I heard on the news that there are 19,000 welfare checks that go out and they don't know to who??
Now there are people that really need it and it used to be that they got it used it to get a leg up then got off. Today people use welfare like it is a job. Need money, a car, a place to live come to Mass with your drug addiction and we will hook you up. Or have a baby by who knows who and give it up to your granny and she will get the dole to raise the kid??
All these folks lining up to get the rubber Obama stamp, I had a guy on the dole tell me "I've been Obamasized and you should too" What the heck am I dumb for trying to do the right thing?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Let's say that, in a radical attempt to balance the budget, Congress entirely cut spending on SNAP (food stamps), Section 8 (subsidized housing), and Medicaid (and they found a loophole around these "mandatory programs" that allowed them to be cut, or declared a special state of emergency).

In addition, in the same year, several states that also fund these programs separately cut their funding by 100% of near that.

What would be the result?

My guess is some or all of the following:

- Huge lines at private relief agencies
- A moderate to dramatic rise in private giving
- Massive rioting in poorer districts of cities, leading to looting, arson, and other crimes
- A rise in "flashmob" and other attacks on stores / gas stations / etc., coordinated by social media
- Attempted assassinations of politicians
- Flood of evictions leading to crime against landlords, mass eviction resistance movements (coordinated by Facebook, Twitter, etc.), rebellious occupation of property by swatters, homelessness
- A drastic rise in property crime rates
- A sharp rise in violent crime rates, often related to property (e.g. assault during robberies)
- A slight uptick in overall employment (including the informal economy)
- An unprecedented boom in the private security industry
- The closure of numerous inner-city grocery stores and corner markets
- Decrease in revenue for supermarkets and food producers in general, but:
- Expanded markets for cheaper food items and discounters
- Decreased prices for medical services and increased incidence of doctors providing "charity care"
- Rises in property, city, and state taxes to fund or expand programs instituted because of the above effects of cutting federal spending
Those currently on welfare would find a job, just as people did before there was welfare.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Those currently on welfare would find a job, just as people did before there was welfare.
There is one thing to consider. There aren't as many jobs to go around as in the past. There are some who are terminally unemployable(high school dropouts, lack of skills, etc).

Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is one thing to consider. There aren't as many jobs to go around as in the past. There are some who are terminally unemployable(high school dropouts, lack of skills, etc).
There are actually quite a few jobs but most of them go to immigrants - both legal and illegal because for one they can't get on welfare right away and are more willing to work, and they're more inclined to relocate for a job since they just got here. We have 3 million immigrants coming in every year and a large portion are finding jobs just fine. In fact remittances to Mexico were way up in 2012 and 2011. A large number of immigrants have no job skills, they'll work raking leaves.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are actually quite a few jobs but most of them go to immigrants - both legal and illegal because for one they can't get on welfare right away and are more willing to work, and they're more inclined to relocate for a job since they just got here. We have 3 million immigrants coming in every year and a large portion are finding jobs just fine. In fact remittances to Mexico were way up in 2012 and 2011. A large number of immigrants have no job skills, they'll work raking leaves.
But where are these jobs at, and in what sectors? And where are alot of people who are on welfare located?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many individuals on welfare DO contribute to society.

It is debatable that corporations contribute in a meaningful, positive way to our society.
That's crazy! Welfare recipients don't employ anyone -- I've been employed by corporations, but never by welfare recipients. Welfare recipients contribute what exactly? More welfare recipients? They take what they never worked for is all they do and they're costing the taxpayers an average of $62,000 a year to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies