Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times

Advertisements

Haven't ended friendships yet but I have been tempted.

One of my high school friends has three kids by two different men. Both men were losers and never paid child support. She gets gov assistance for her kids and she goes to school on the taxpayers dime. She also gets housing assistance, etc. She recently told me she can't take a job she was offered because that would 'cut down on her assistance'. She thinks Obama can walk on water.

Another friend continuously posts on Facebook anti-Romney/Republican comments. Most of the comments are about how proud she is to be a liberal and how 'intolerant' the right is, blah, blah. She is undoubtedly the most intolerant person I have ever known.

I love both of these friends but I do have to take them in small doses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Some of my friends are conservative and some are republican. If one of them even begins to bring up the topic of politics, i shut it down quickly. I'm a democrat, and will support them all the time, but I don't love the party enough to lose life long friendships over stupid discussions.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I tend to not have friends who are right wing. I absolutely cannot remain in social contact with someone once I realize that they are against gay rights or if they do not support health care reform. The former is just my baseline for being a good person and my ability to get appropriate care in the future due to preexisting conditions ride on the later.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
It depends on how you treat each other.

Most adults can agree to disagree.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It depends on how you treat each other.

Most adults can agree to disagree.
Agree. Most of what I learn of my friends political leanings comes from facebook. I try NOT to comment on their page if I disagree - it's their page and they can say what they want.

Some of my extreme political friends - I will just block until after the election so we don't end up ruining any friendships.

I know at least one person that 'unfriended' me and I try to keep my political posts to a minimum.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
I wouldn't end a friendship over political beliefs, but I have been informed that some of my friends have taken me off of their Facebook news feed because they don't agree with my politics.

What I find interesting is that the friends who have taken me off their news feeds are the liberal ones. Supposedly, they're supposed to be the open minded sort, but since I don't agree with them that Obama is a good president, they aren't too interested in my point of view, I guess.

I'm not a huge political poster on my FB page (I might put up a political post twice a week), but I guess the occasional meme or post that points out the lies and failings of the current administration were too much for them to handle.

We'll have to wait and see if any of the friendships are actually ended. Probably won't know until after the election. However, the way I look at it, if you're going to walk away from a friendship over a political disagreement I'm not going to get to upset about it.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I tend to not have friends who are right wing. I absolutely cannot remain in social contact with someone once I realize that they are against gay rights or if they do not support health care reform. The former is just my baseline for being a good person and my ability to get appropriate care in the future due to preexisting conditions ride on the later.
Possibly off topic, but I know a lot of conservatives who aren't against gay rights or health care reform. Personally, I lean more conservative than I do liberal, but I'm a huge supporter of equal rights for everyone and for health care reform. I'm just not a supporter of Obamacare, since it's going to destroy our health care system and cost most individuals a few extra thousand dollars a year for less effective medical care.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Possibly off topic, but I know a lot of conservatives who aren't against gay rights or health care reform. Personally, I lean more conservative than I do liberal, but I'm a huge supporter of equal rights for everyone and for health care reform. I'm just not a supporter of Obamacare, since it's going to destroy our health care system and cost most individuals a few extra thousand dollars a year for less effective medical care.
And for me, it saves me hundreds of thousands of dollars and the freedom of being mobile in my employment, rather than worry about losing health insurance at every step of the way.

I say most of my friends are left-wing because I work in an industry where people tend to be liberal, and I live in one of the most liberal areas of the country. It's rare to run across many people right of center.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I have all different kinds of friends and we have better things to do than talk politics. I would never end a friendship because someone had opposing views.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Nope. as poltically motivated as I am, I think personal frienships are vastly more valuable than political idology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies