Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

I was pretty surprised to not see any threads on the Wal-Mart strike. What started out as an isolated event, has grown into a protest that could spread to workers outside of the U.S. With Wal-Mart being the largest retailer in the world, the results of this protest could have major implications on corporate policies in the future.

What are your opinions on the protest?

OUR Walmart's mic check at Home Office - YouTube

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/bu...read.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
I fully support the Wal-mart workers right to strike, just as I support Wal-marts right to fire all of them and replace them with teenager.

I'm sure if these people don't want the job, then someone else will take it. If wal-mart can't find someone else, then maybe a raise is in order (but only for the individual people who are worth the extra money)

I think firing everyone and then re-hiring and re-evaluating starting pay based on previous employment would be fair. Though if I found a non-ex-employee with higher qualifications I would hire them before a striker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I was pretty surprised to not see any threads on the Wal-Mart strike. What started out as an isolated event, has grown into a protest that could spread to workers outside of the U.S. With Wal-Mart being the largest retailer in the world, the results of this protest could have major implications on corporate policies in the future.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I'm all for free and open exchanges between management and workers but that repeating of everything that said was WAY beyond annoying. They have a legitimate gripe if they want to be full time employees and are only hired as part time. But thats the trend these days, part time. Reduced benefits or no benefits. And its not just Wal Mart or retail, its many industries. That annoying repeat speech reminded me of the Occupy Wall Streeters.
People are desperate and are forced to take what they can get. If you didn't count part time or temp jobs as being employed what would the unemploymenbt rate be? 12, 14, 15%?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Not to worry, the UFCW is a weak union, Walmart is big, huge.
All Walmart has to do is fire striking employees and hire illegals.
They have plenty of money.
Wal-Mart Mops Up Immigrant Flap - CBS News

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
With all the jobs now available, if I worked at Walmart and didn't like their conditions I'd be looking for a new job.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Union attempts to organize workers at Wal-Mart in the USA have failed. Some support a union, most do not. That's my understanding of the situation. We all want things we can't have. The union wants Wal-Mart. I want to win a $300 million lottery, all by myself. The chances of both of these things materializing are slim.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Fire them all and replace them. They're the lowest common denominator of the work force. You could, literally, train an animal to do what many of them do.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Fire them all and replace them. They're the lowest common denominator of the work force. You could, literally, train an animal to do what many of them do.
Unskilled, GED is all it takes to get a job at Walmart. Oh and pass the drug test.
And I'm not even sure a GED or HS diploma is even required.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Unskilled, GED is all it takes to get a job at Walmart. Oh and pass the drug test.
And I'm not even sure a GED or HS diploma is even required.
It's not. Hell, I'm not even sure you have to pass a drug test unless you'll be operating a forklift.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Walmart customers should go on strike aka boycott until Walmart pays their employees enough to get them off welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies